Politics Michigan medical marijuana seller gets prison: ‘Federal law has not changed,’ judge says

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by SlyPokerDog, Jan 31, 2020.

1. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

GRAND RAPIDS, MI – The former owner of medical-marijuana dispensaries in several Michigan cities was sentenced Tuesday, Jan. 28, to nearly 16 years in federal prison.

Danny Trevino, 47, of Lansing, who had Hydroworld dispensaries in Grand Rapids, Flint, Jackson, Lansing and elsewhere, had avoided state criminal and civil penalties over the years but was convicted of multiple federal charges.

“States are changing marijuana laws across the country, certainly that’s true, but federal law has not changed,” U.S. District Judge Paul Maloney said.

Trevino sought the statutory minimum sentence of five years in prison.

Maloney instead sentenced Trevino to 15 years, eight months in prison - at the low end of advisory sentencing guidelines, which ranged from 188 to 235 months.

The sentence upset several family members and pro-marijuana activists who attended the sentencing in Grand Rapids.

“What you saw is a travesty,” Detroit resident Richard Clement said. His shirt read: “#GETNORML,” “#WARONDRUGS” and “CANNACURES.”

He said it was difficult to reconcile what he called a harsh sentence in a state where marijuana is legal. He and others think Trevino was targeted because he is Hispanic.

“This was totally racist,” a woman said, leaving the courthouse. “None of the (other dispensaries) ever get raided.”

She was with Trevino’s family but refused to give her name.

“It’s just not fair,” another supporter, Sydney Krey, said.

Trevino, who has operated dispensaries since 2010, was convicted in an August jury trial of 10 felony charges, including conspiracy to manufacture, distribute and possess marijuana and maintaining a drug-involved premises.

He was not allowed to use the state’s medical-marijuana law as a defense to the federal charges.

Nonetheless, the government said, he acted outside of the boundaries of the state medical-marijuana law.

Defense attorney Nicholas Bostic called that a “fallacy.”

He said that Trevino was successful in challenging state complaints after he had been arrested and the subject of several search warrants. He was arrested in April 2014 in Grand Rapids for delivery or manufacture of marijuana and maintaining a drug house but charges were dropped a month later, court records showed.

He fought forfeitures of funds seized by police that were ultimately returned by state courts. Trevino’s businesses were raided 16 times between 2010 and 2016, the government said.

He provided the state with store records and tax records that showed his businesses brought in nearly $3 million.

“He thought he was legal,” Bostic told the judge. He said his client, whose previous drug convictions prevented him from being a caregiver, oversaw the operation.

He said that every single sale of medical marijuana at his businesses would have been legal under laws in 33 states and the District of Columbia that allow medical or recreational marijuana.

Trevino earlier told MLive: "How could I not have been in compliance if I was acquitted and found not guilty. We were winning and they didn’t charge us, so we kept going.”

Assistant U.S. Attorney Daniel McGraw said Trevino knew he acted illegally under federal law. He called Trevino “defiant, unrepentant and undeterred from committing the current federal crimes.”

After federal investigators used a search warrant at one of his locations in 2016, Trevino posted on Facebook: “I guess Hydroworld is illegal. Lol OK.”

McGraw said Trevino acted as though marijuana – legalized in 2018 for recreational use in Michigan – was always legal.

Trevino was “told time and time again that it was illegal and your honor, he simply didn’t care. He didn’t care. He kept operating," the prosecutor said.

The judge said his concern was Trevino’s conduct under federal law.

“I fully recognize that the landscape has changed in many states in this country,” Maloney said.

“The fact is, marijuana is a Schedule 1 controlled substance.”

He noted that Congress has eliminated the mandatory minimum prison sentence for crack cocaine but has not acted on marijuana.

He said Trevino “had to know he was on the radar screens of federal authorities.”

The judge ordered Trevino to serve four years on supervised release once his prison term ends. He also fined Trevino $11,000.

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-ra...n-federal-law-has-not-changed-judge-says.html

2. EL PRESIDENTE

EL PRESIDENTE Username Retired in Honor of Lanny.

I'm actually against legal weed now. Fucking reeks everywhere and it just smells like poor people.

Maybe if people weren't such dicks about smoking it out while you are walking around.

3. jonnyboy

jonnyboy Well-Known Member

I don’t think he’ll serve 15 years. Hopefully this dumbass judge’s conviction gets overturned when the federal law gets changed, which is bound to happen. It’s amazing that this sociopath judge is able to sleep at night knowing he’s locked someone away for 15 years for something that’s non-violent and totally legal in the state where it occurred. Total piece of shit.

4. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Agreed

5. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

This seems ripe for a 10th-amendment-based appeal.

My understanding has always been that the federal laws are only applicable to activities on federal land or crossing state lines. I'd love to see where the federal prosecutors indicated his "drug activity" to meet that criteria. If he was, for example, importing marijuana to Michigan from Ohio, or shipping it to Illinois, then he could legitimately be in violation. The article as posted didn't indicate any of that though.