Mike Tokito: "Trail Blazers Questions: Did they overtinker with the roster?"

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by PtldPlatypus, Sep 23, 2019.

1. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

https://www.forbes.com/sites/miketo...they-overtinker-with-the-roster/#4aef83454888

The Portland Trail Blazers are about to officially go back to work with training camp starting Tuesday, Oct. 1. Ahead of the Sept. 30 media session that serves as the kickoff for the 2019-20 season, we’ll ponder a few questions that face the 50th anniversary version of the team, staring with:

Did the Blazers overtinker?

Portland is coming off a season in which it reached the Western Conference Finals, its deepest playoff run in 19 years. If you go back 20 years, you see a Blazers team that foreshadowed the way the current iteration was put together.

In 1998-99 – a season reduced to 50 games because of a lockout – the Blazers reached the Western Conference Finals. Like the 2018-19 Blazers who lost all four games in the conference finals to Golden State, the 1998-99 team was swept in the conference finals, by San Antonio.

General manger Bob Whitsitt kept such core pieces such as Rasheed Wallace, Damon Stoudamire and Arvydas Sabonis, but he made some major roster changes around them, adding established veterans in Scottie Pippen, Steve Smith and Detlef Shrempf . The formula seemed to pay off as the Blazers won 59 games, which remains tied for the second most regular-season victories in the franchise’s 49 seasons, and seemed about to reach the NBA Finals, with a 15-point fourth-quarter lead over the Lakers in Game 7 of the conference finals. Portland famously blew that lead, opening the door for the first of three consecutive championships won by Kobe Bryant-Shaquille O’Neal version of the Lakers.

There’s reasonable debate about whether the changes Whitsitt made were worth the effort, whether getting to a seventh game in the conference final is a significant enough step forward from being swept in the same round, especially since the franchise quickly went backwards after that season, going the next 13 years without winning a playoff series.

The 2019-20 team has had a roster turnover on par with that 1999-2000 team, with possibly five new players who will be part of the regular rotation, but with an intact core of Damian Lillard, CJ McCollum and Jusuf Nurkic (once he returns from injury).

The Blazers added veterans in Kent Bazemore, Hassan Whiteside, Pau Gasol and Anthony Tolliver, all of whom are on the final years (or only year) of contracts, creating flexibility to put together a multi-year run at a title. In some ways the Blazers are following the model of San Antonio, which kept in tact a core of Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili and Tim Duncan, and added players around them, some for short-term help, and at least one (Kawhi Leonard) turning into superstar.

Portland GM Neil Olshey is by no means going full-blown Trader Bob with his team (Whitsitt aggressively made win-now trades with seemingly no long-term or developmental plans). Olshey continues a strong draft-and-develop program through which McCollum became a star, and Zach Collins and Anfernee Simons could blossom. They might not be at the Kawhi Leonard level, but both could become foundational players for years to come.

Certainly, Olshey tinkered a lot in the offseason, but he also got significant value for his three most challenging contracts from 2018-19 in Evan Turner (trading him for Bazemore), Meyers Leonard and Maurice Harkless (who were used in a four-team trade that landed Whiteside). And re-signing Rodney Hood – who figures to give Portland more offensive punch than it got from Harkless as the starting small forward — for well under market value is a major testament to the culture Olshey, coach Terry Stotts and Lillard and McCollum have established.

Did the Blazers overtinker? The real answer will come in May – or even June – when we see if this team is a step better than last season’s
    .​

Wizard Mentor and HailBlazers like this.
  2. EL PRESIDENTE

EL PRESIDENTE Username Retired in Honor of Lanny.

No. They got rid of guys who weren't contributing too much and were paid too much.

BlazerBeav, BBert, mook and 8 others like this.
  3. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

I know a lot of people bitched about Turner but there will be times we miss his ball handling and decision making.

4. The Professional Fan

The Professional Fan Big League Scrub

No. We got better.

5. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    Not I.

6. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

From what I understand Bazemore can D up and also has a decent handle.
    However, I think he's a much better shooter.
    We will find out soon!

Dougnsalem likes this.
  7. RipCityWarrior

RipCityWarrior Active Member

I am hopeful that bazemore can d up as well as turner did when he was locked in. I have a feeling Herzonjas playmaking will be a very good addition under Stotts style.

8. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Well, itd be easy to identify the people who are on drugs when those times happen.

9. Hobbesarable

Hobbesarable Cartoon Character

Overanalyzing.

Changes needed to be made and it happened. I will enjoy the upcoming season.

BlazerBeav, BBert, RickyJoe and 7 others like this.
  10. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

I can get behind this I guess, but unfortunately I don't share the optimism about the latest mix that most weighing in seem to. I wanted more outside shooting and got less. I like defense from the frontcourt and want versitile defenders who can switch off seemlessly. While Whiteside can clog the middle, he can't switch off on smaller guys and I fear he'll be iso'd to death if they try to. My biggest hope is that Zach takes giant steps forward and truly deserves the spot Neal carved out for him. My secondary hope is that Mario proves worthy of SF minutes as I like Hood off the bench bringing it. I feel he needs the game to run through him to be effective and he'd get lost as a starter.

I will enjoy the season as I love hoops. Hope I'm off on my pessimism and the Blazers crush it.

STOMP

BBert and Hobbesarable like this.
  11. handiman

handiman Well-Known Member

I like this summer's changes, but I have to admit, it's an interesting then-and-now perspective. Fashion trends repeat themselves every 20 years, so why not NBA team building patterns in Portland?? It only makes sense.

12. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Howd we get less? We lost Kanter, Aminu, Harkless and Turner from our main rotation. Curry was the only legit shooting we lossed amd we replace them with Simons, Bazemore, Tolliver, and Hood+Collins playing more minutes.

BBert, Dougnsalem and tlongII like this.
  13. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

Seth shot 45% from deep last year... did that lead the league? If Tolliver plays a role bigger then garbage minutes/towel waver, Portland is truly in trouble as he's one of the worst Defensive Bigs I've ever seen and well on the wrong side of 30. I expressed hopes for Hezonja to earn a role (for some reason you omited him) but he shot a Turner-esk 27% from 3s last season. Bazemore shot 32% from deep last season while Hood shot 34%. My fingers are crossed for Simons but he also shot 34% from 3s last season. Collins 33%. You list Kanter as if he's anything different then Whiteside.

PDX had 3 legit deep ball threats, by my count they now have 2. Thats how.

STOMP

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    BBert likes this.
  14. BonesJones

So you dont think Hood is a good shooter? You dont think Simons is either, based off the smallest of samples? You dont think Collins will continue to improve?

Id rather have multiple solid to good shooters than one elite shooter. Its better for spacing.

Wizard Mentor likes this.
  15. Dougnsalem

Dougnsalem not barf

Screw that a hole. I quit reading when he just HAD TO bring up 99-00 playoffs. F him.....

BlazerBeav and BBert like this.
  16. ripcity67

ripcity67 Active Member

with a 15-point fourth-quarter lead over the Lakers in Game 7 of the conference finals. Portland famously blew that lead, opening the door for the first of three consecutive championships won by Kobe Bryant-Shaquille O’Neal version of the Lakers.

Couldn't he at least mention that this was the official admittedly rigged game by the official. Would have kept by blodd pressure under 200!!!!

BBert, Dougnsalem and HailBlazers like this.
  17. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

Of course it's better to have more good shooters then just one. Yes we can hope that the young players improve, that would be great. But facts are Portland has fewer guys on in the projected rotation with a track records as good 3 point shooters then last year. You want to bring up Tolliver? I'll counter with Meyers, who as much as I cringed over is better as a defender and 3 point threat. Most of the guys you listed have shot the 3 ball about the same as Al-Farouq (career 34%) and no one would describe him as a good shooter. Hood is the best of the bunch but as a deep ball threat he's (A) definitely not Seth and (B) was already on the roster last year. I see him as a volume shooter who gets his rhythm going off the dribble and not a catch and shoot guy you can stick in the corner to keep the D spread.

Come the end of games and especially the playoffs, I expect we're going to see the same strategy teams have employed of daring anyone outside of Dame and CJ to make a shot. Here's to the young guys taking giant steps forward and making them pay... especially Collins. If he could advance to become a solid shooter from the perimeter that would really help the spacing.

STOMP

18. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    You have a valid argument. However, I think Ant will be close to as effective as Seth with the 3 ball. Ant is a tremendous shooter.

HailBlazers and BonesJones like this.
  19. BonesJones

If you give more minutes to better shooters and take them away from worse shooters, are you not adding more shooting to the equation?

I mean, if you establish a number of qualifications, you could probably make that case. But mathematically, it's highly likely our 3pt shooting is better this season.

20. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Blazers overall were 904-2520, 0.359 from 3 last year
    Returning players; 493-1374, 0.359
    Departed players: 411-1146, 0.359

Incoming players: 227-696, 0.326
    Returning players expected to increase role (Simons/Hood/Collins): 79-234, 0.338

Yes, it's possible that we have improved shooting next year, but looking at the actual numbers from last year, I don't see how you can say that "mathematically, it's highly likely".

mook, 42N8Bounce, wizenheimer and 2 others like this.