Miles On Hold As Knee Continues To Heal

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Shapecity, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">TUALATIN -- Uncertainty hovered over the opening day of Trail Blazers practice after the team revealed that one of its cornerstones, forward Darius Miles, will be held out of practices for at least two weeks because of his right knee, which was operated on in December.

Miles, 25, downplayed the news, saying he should be ready by November. He said he wanted to, and could have, practiced Tuesday, but didn't because of "Coach's decision."

Coach Nate McMillan said he simply was following orders from team doctors and trainer Jay Jensen, who recommended Miles strengthen his right knee and get in better condition before returning to action. Jensen estimated Miles' right knee is 80 percent healthy.

"What we are doing is taking a cautious approach," Jensen said. "The concern right now is with the activity level that we are doing out here -- to push him out there right now without his knee being close to 100 percent . . . you don't want it to swell up."

The status of Miles cast uncertainty at small forward, where the Blazers are thin and inexperienced. Behind Miles, the Blazers have one true small forward -- Travis Outlaw, 22, who has had limited playing time. But the team entered training camp with plans to experiment with second-year shooting guard Martell Webster at small forward.

Miles missed 34 consecutive games last season after his December surgery, in part because a postoperative infection delayed his recovery. He returned to play in 25 of the Blazers' final 33 games, during which he averaged 11.4 points and 3.9 rebounds in more than 28 minutes a game. He revealed after the season that he played in pain and should have shut his season down after the surgery but didn't because he wanted to return and help his team.

But after Miles had six months off to heal and strengthen the knee, a physical by team doctors revealed the knee hasn't recovered. Miles said he took half the summer off to rest but has been working out since July.

"I really do want to be in training camp and play, but the main focus is to really get me 100 percent healthy," Miles said. "I came back so early last year, so I really had to take off half of the summer to let my knee heal and rest, then start up real strong and regain my muscle power. Another month (of rehabilitation) would be, like, really good for me."

The status of Miles' knee after a summer off seemed to catch McMillan by surprise.

"My thing is to not put anybody out there who right now is three-quarters speed," McMillan said. "We don't want to risk that. What we want to do is rehab him with our people and get him ready as soon as possible. But I don't have a time frame." </div>

Source