Millen Fired!!!!!

Discussion in 'NFC North' started by Murtyle, Nov 24, 2006.

1. Murtyle

Murtyle nfl-*****s member

It's just a rumor right now but is one of the rumors that seems to have a backing... (Its in the same manner as Mooch getting canned and all of our coaches getting hired... It's not expected to be announced until Tuesday... If this is the case it is VERY unlike the Fords to do this... Please, pray for this to happen.... What a great way to kick off the holliday season if this is true...

:rock:[​IMG][​IMG]:cool::rock:[​IMG][​IMG]:listening::rock::rock:

2. Murtyle

I should add that the guy who is reporting this worked for the organization for 5 years and broke the news I was talking about above before anyone else... There is an update as well they are still negotiating the settling of the rest of his contract since the morons gave the guy a 5 year extension LAST YEAR...

P.S. This means the Ford's will be paying Millen and Mooch to do nothing for the next 2 years... LMAO [​IMG]

I will state that this is still a rumor and that no media source has confirmed it but I wouldn't post it if I really didn't believe it to be true...

3. Bears#1Fan

Bears#1Fan nfl-*****s member

if it happens this will be the best move the franchise has ever made.. and even more fitting right after Harrington spanked the lions

4. Murtyle

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bears#1Fan)</div><div class='quotemain'>if it happens this will be the best move the franchise has ever made.. and even more fitting right after Harrington spanked the lions</div>
    I guess the only way to get through to the Fords is for the team to get embarrassed on Thanksgiving.... Last year was Mooch, this year was Millen...

5. Bears#1Fan

by the guy u traded for a 6th round choice.. i think Ford may see finally the problem is millen and not everone else

6. Murtyle

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bears#1Fan)</div><div class='quotemain'>by the guy u traded for a 6th round choice.. i think Ford may see finally the problem is millen and not everone else</div>
    The ironic part of all this is Harrington was Ford's guy, Millen wanted Jammer. Then Millen gets rid of the guy for a conditional 6th rd pick and then Harrington turns around and embarrasses the whole franchise... Even I think that is funny... [​IMG]

7. Bears#1Fan

Harrington always had the skills to play at this level.. but its hard to do anything with that short of a leash.. I think saban has given Harrington room and look Joey is comming into his own now.. Firing millen won't solve all the detroit whoa's but its a step in the right direction.. maybe the players will play with some passion once millen is gone

8. J-E-T-S 1083

J-E-T-S 1083 The Original Jets Junkie

wow what a great move by the Lions, it'll be probably the best move of the year. Hes such a bad GM hes messed up the Lions royally. I hope he gets fired and the Bills hire him so they'll be in the gutter for the next 4 years.... o wait that already happened... Patriots then :thumbsup:

9. The Return of the Raider

The Return of the Raider Active Member

So, can we go ahead and blame everything on Millen now?

Let's be real, the Lions have been bad for longer than Millen was there. I would say that the way teams draft and deal in free agency is the biggest factor outside of head coach that determines success or failure for a team. Do I blame Ford for giving Millen a chance? not really. At the time, it seemed like a good move to me and, I'm sure, to many others. What does a timetable for General Managers look like? I know that coaches should get at least 2-3 seasons before they get tossed. What about GM's? Do we, as the public at large, really see whats going on, and are informed enough to have an opinion on what the GM's are doing? What is the short list of things that you can criticize them with? GM's will often live through numerous coaches and players careers with a team. I hear the media giving credit all the time to GM's, but rarely hear them get criticized. The head coaches are usually the highest in the food chain to get any media criticism. Really, does anyone but the owner see this coming? It's easy to second guess a player or coach, but seems much more blurred as you move up that chain of command.

10. Bears#1Fan

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The Return of the Raider)</div><div class='quotemain'>I know that coaches should get at least 2-3 seasons before they get tossed.</div>
    The Al Davis philosophy!!!!!

11. The Return of the Raider

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bears#1Fan)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The Return of the Raider)</div><div class='quotemain'>I know that coaches should get at least 2-3 seasons before they get tossed.</div>
    The Al Davis philosophy!!!!!</div>
    That's everyone's philosophy except the Steelers and Broncos. Everyone else is cycling people out just as often.

12. Zackman

Zackman The Historian

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Murtyle)</div><div class='quotemain'>It's just a rumor right now but is one of the rumors that seems to have a backing... (Its in the same manner as Mooch getting canned and all of our coaches getting hired... It's not expected to be announced until Tuesday... If this is the case it is VERY unlike the Fords to do this... Please, pray for this to happen.... What a great way to kick off the holliday season if this is true...

:rock:[​IMG][​IMG]:cool::rock:[​IMG][​IMG]:listening::rock::rock:</div>
    Terry Foster hears rumblings
    Check his Det News blog
    http://forums.detnews.com/terryfosterblog/....cfm?blogid=746

13. Bearsfan1

Bearsfan1 2 Time Defending FF Champion

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The Return of the Raider)</div><div class='quotemain'>So, can we go ahead and blame everything on Millen now?

Let's be real, the Lions have been bad for longer than Millen was there.</div>
    Well, the team was 9-7 the season before he took over. Just missed playoffs on a long edinger kick (Just wanted to remind lions fans we made you miss your last shot at playoffs) He stripped the team down to get younger and build back up. Problem was, he got younger, but never built them back up. Well, a problem if you are a lions fan [​IMG].

14. Zackman

Zackman The Historian

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Saturday, November 25, 2006
    Tom Kowalski
    <span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">Millen's job safe -- for now</span>
    As of late Friday night, Matt Millen's job as Detroit Lions president was safe. But it could just be a matter of time.

There is definitely a feeling around Allen Park that Millen's days are numbered, but nothing has happened yet. It's believed, like most families, that the Fords ate Thanksgiving dinner together and there was likely some conversation between William Clay Ford, who has always supported Millen, and Bill Ford Jr., who wants Millen fired immediately.

This is -- and always has been -- Ford Sr.'s call and there's no telling if he's going to make a move this weekend or after the season or whether he'll make any change at all.

Some "media'' outlets are jumping the gun and saying a decision has been reached. It has not. There is a lot of guessing going on but, at this point, that's all it is -- guessing.</div>

15. Zackman

Zackman The Historian

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BearsFan1)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The Return of the Raider)</div><div class='quotemain'>So, can we go ahead and blame everything on Millen now?

Well, the team was 9-7 the season before he took over. Just missed playoffs on a long edinger kick (Just wanted to remind lions fans we made you miss your last shot at playoffs) He stripped the team down to get younger and build back up. Problem was, he got younger, but never built them back up. Well, a problem if you are a lions fan [​IMG].</div>
    <u>BEFORE MATT MILLEN</u>
    The fact is the Lions made the playoffs 5 out of 8 years from 1993-2000 and only had two losing seasons. Better than the Bears and the Raiders is my guess.

<u>CHICAGO BEARS</u>
    In the eight years before Matt Millen (1993-2000), the Bears made the playoffs 1 time out of those 8 years and had six losing seasons. This franchise was total crap before Matt Millen was hired by the Lions.

<u>OAKLAND RAIDERS</u>
    In the eight years before Matt Millen (1993-2000), the Raiders made the playoffs 2 times out of 8 years and had two losing and three 8-8 seasons. Like I said, not as good as the Lions were before Matt Millen.

16. Bearsfan1

Bearsfan1 2 Time Defending FF Champion

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zackman)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BearsFan1)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The Return of the Raider)</div><div class='quotemain'>So, can we go ahead and blame everything on Millen now?

Well, the team was 9-7 the season before he took over. Just missed playoffs on a long edinger kick (Just wanted to remind lions fans we made you miss your last shot at playoffs) He stripped the team down to get younger and build back up. Problem was, he got younger, but never built them back up. Well, a problem if you are a lions fan [​IMG].</div>
    <u>BEFORE MATT MILLEN</u>
    The fact is the Lions made the playoffs 5 out of 8 years from 1993-2000 and only had two losing seasons. Better than the Bears and the Raiders is my guess.

<u>CHICAGO BEARS</u>
    In the eight years before Matt Millen (1993-2000), the Bears made the playoffs 1 time out of those 8 years and had six losing seasons. This franchise was total crap before Matt Millen was hired by the Lions.

<u>OAKLAND RAIDERS</u>
    In the eight years before Matt Millen (1993-2000), the Raiders made the playoffs 2 times out of 8 years and had two losing and three 8-8 seasons. Like I said, not as good as the Lions were before Matt Millen.</div>
    I think it is very arbitrary to choose 8 years as the span. They all won 0 titles, in my book thats a tie. Guess he should stop writing his executive of the year speech now, huh?

17. Zackman

Zackman The Historian

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BearsFan1)</div><div class='quotemain'>I think it is very arbitrary to choose 8 years as the span. They all won 0 titles, in my book thats a tie.</div>
    Using your logic, we're tied in the Millen Era too! :stupid:

I'm sure Matt Millen wants to think the way you do too! :einstein:

18. The Return of the Raider

Most Consecutive Playoff Games Lost:

Detroit holds the record with 6, during the pre-Matt Millen era

Detroit, 1991, 1993-95, 1997, 1999 (current)

Most Playofff Games won:

Oakland is in third place all-time with 25 playoff victories, including one more than the Lions had during 1993-2000.

Oakland/L.A. Raiders, 1967-1970, 1973-77, 1980, 1982-83, 1990, 1993, 2000-02

When did Millen become Lions GM?

19. The Return of the Raider

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=dw-m...=yhoo&type=lgns

"There should be no shame in failure for Millen. He was hired as an out-of-the-box idea for a franchise that has won just a single playoff game since 1957. The Lions have wallowed between bad and mediocre for so long that the hiring of a TV personality with no front office or business management experience seemed like a what-the-heck gamble. How much worse could it get, right?"

20. Zackman

Zackman The Historian

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The Return of the Raider)</div><div class='quotemain'>When did Millen become Lions GM?</div>
    Millen became the GM after the 2000 season. My point with the 8 year stats before Millen was that the Lions were contenders most years. If you go back a full 10 years they were in the playoff six times and as BearFan1 pointed out in a earlier post they just missed a 7th playoff appearance in their 9-7 2000 season when the lowly Bears beat them with a 69 yard FG on the last play of the final game of the season.

Before Millen the Lions were much like the Bears have been since Millen was hired. Contenders that lose in the first round of the playoffs. I'm looking for the Bears to break that six game playoff losing steak record the Lions own. Maybe then the Bears can fire everyone and hire Millen. [​IMG]