Monster trade FINALLY goes down.

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by Idog1976, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Idog1976

Idog1976 Well-Known Member

I look to the stars.
    After weeks of waiting and with a new GM in place who UNDERSTANDS THE GAME, my sources say a big trade is FINALLY going down.

After much cajoling from Bert Kolde, Paul Allen is going to sign off on a huge trade.

PA is giving up his Black Lotus:

[​IMG]

For Bert's Time Walk:

[​IMG]

Ancestral Recall:

[​IMG]

and a Mox Emerald:

[​IMG]

Some say Bert gave up too much, but you have to give up some real talent in the box for a superstar card like the Black Lotus.

2. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    PA should have insisted that the Mox Emerald be black-border beta like the time walk and ancestral!

3. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

Ban

4. Idog1976

I look to the stars.
    Oh give me a freaking break after all the threads where people do the exact same thing? This was actually clever given all the nerd jokes about PA not liking KP for not playing DnD etc. Everyone calling Cho a numbers nerd. Sheesh.

5. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

Man, I was into alpha and beta, and just a tad into unlimited, but gave up on magic when I went into the Marines in 95. Would those editions even be worth anything? Even then, you couldn't play a Lotus in tourneys.

6. TradeNurkicNow

TradeNurkicNow Resident OT Section Crank

Would they be worth anything? Seriously?

Black Lotus = $2500
    Time Walk = $800
    Mox Emerald = $500
    Ancestral Recall = $900

7. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    I thought this thread was funny.

Also, I played Magic for a few years right after it came out. I thought it was a fun hobby, but the crazy escalation of prices around those cards made it feel less like a game and more like investing. As a friend of mine remarked, "I thought about playing Magic, but decided to opt for a less expensive hobby like diamond mine collecting."

8. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

And you guys thought HCP made fun of us for being nerds BEFORE....

9. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    AV club dorks were lower on the totem pole than Magic playing dorks when I was in high school. Working nearby jocks doesn't make HCP a jock. ;)

10. Natebishop3

He sure seems to think it does.

11. BrianFromWA

Thanks for ruining my day. :) Sold the entire collection for a then-astronomic $800, which was 3 of my Marine paychecks at the time. I figured that, with Unlimited out and the people banning a lot of the alpha cards like Lotus from tourneys, that the play value would bottom out and it'd be like collecting garbage pail kids, or "common" baseball cards. I remember having to make my tourney deck into a "speed white" deck, while others were figuring out that big-mana decks like those Nebuchadnezzars and other "heroes" decks weren't even going to last long enough to get their mana out there. And there weren't many Magic dorks like me in Okinawa.
    In the words of Roberto di Vincenzo: "What a stupid I am."

12. Eastoff

Eastoff But it was a beginning.

At first I thought he was just making up those prices... Then I saw this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200274672868&rvr_id=&crlp=1_263602_263622&UA=WXS%3F&GUID=d8a5e4261230a026825089a0ffefec18&itemid=200274672868&ff4=263602_263622
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200274672868&rvr_id=&crlp=1_263602_263622&UA=WXS%3F&GUID=d8a5e4261230a026825089a0ffefec18&itemid=200274672868&ff4=263602_263622

13. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

I'm so happy I have no idea what the fuck any of this stuff is.

14. BrianFromWA

Nik, it was like baseball cards for DnD dorks, with the addendum that "value" also came from the usefulness of the card to the game.

So, while a Ken Griffey Jr. baseball card might've cost 50 bucks (b/c of popularity and rarity), imagine if you could somehow stick that card into RBI Baseball and play with KGJr on your team, and your buddy that didn't have that card couldn't.

15. Natebishop3

I had friends who got into magic, I think I was in grade school at that time. I never understood it.

I still have boxes and boxes of basketball, football, and baseball cards though. Did those ever regain their value?

16. Idog1976

I look to the stars.
    Yeah steel yourselves gentlemen, well gentlenerds, my brother and I had four of EVERY Mox and about 6 or 7 Black lotus between us along with 4 time walks a piece, 4 ancestrals all the power cards. Then they restricted lotuses and moxes and we traded them away for fucking peanuts.

I then went on to sell the rest of my collection for a grand total of about 4 to 5k when it was worth far more then that. I also had a lotus and about 3 moxes plus TONS of arabians and other amazing cards jacked at a 100 player tournament I was FUCKING DOMINATING. Some weasely piece of shit asked if he could look at my graveyard and then he walked off with it. It was karma for all the grade schoolers etc. that I ripped off in the most unbalanced trade since John Paulsen used insider info to short Goldman Sachs sub-prime mortgages. Yes, I'm still a nerd, played hoop, basketball and baseball so I'm a rare nerd/jock hybrid.

Anyways, I actually knew Richard Garfield when he was still a Math Professor at Whitman wearing unmatched pairs of socks. I saw the unique "Proposal" card Richard had made for him to play during a game with Lily Wu, his now wife. That dude was king of the nerds. I played a game with him before I knew who he was and he toyed with my brother an I until stomping us down with a Sorceress Queen deck.

Ah carefree days in Walla Walla Washington in the early mid nineties before I gave a shit about Geo-politics and economics. Why the fuck did I learn that stuff. I should have stuck to Magic.

I had an Alpha black Lotus I traded for two mint regular lotuses to the ORIGINAL Mr. Suitcase. I swear this guy was the prototype visionary who knew that cards would be worth mega bank one day. He at least was a fairly reasonable trader. Walla Walla had an absolute galaxy of elite magic cards as most Alphas in the world where there although I jacked a friend in Portland for the Alpha Lotus AND Alpha green mox...uh yeah we're not super good friends now although it isn't because of that.

See what I mean about that guy walking off with 2k of my cards? Karma it's not just a white enchantment anymore.

[​IMG]

17. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    It's not called "Cardboard Crack" for nothing!