Monta Ellis=Larry Hughes?

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Warriorfansnc93, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Warriorfansnc93

Warriorfansnc93 JBB JustBBall Member

Remember when Larry Hughes was here during his last season before signing with Washington and he could not hit a 3 to save his life. Monta has shot 1-23 in the last 9 games. Should we be worried? [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Pgballer17

Pgballer17 JBB JustBBall Member

naah, he'll be fine.

3. Ryan

Ryan BBW Member

I don't care if he doesn't hit a three the rest of the season. The W's already shoot too many 3s and that number will probably go up with SJax and Harrington. I want Monta using his speed and driving to the hoop.

4. YayAreaFanatic

YayAreaFanatic JBB JustBBall Member

Maybe he will take a book out of Tony Parker's page and quite shooting threes and stick with the driving and mid-range. Or be like Pietrus and only shoot the Bowen corner three.

With SJax and AL the W's will obliterate the 3's attempted record anyway.

5. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Warriorfansnc93 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Remember when Larry Hughes was here during his last season before signing with Washington and he could not hit a 3 to save his life. Monta has shot 1-23 in the last 9 games. Should we be worried? [​IMG] [​IMG]</div>

Has he really shot 1-23?

damn

Be happy you have some guard help then.

6. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

Hes also been turning the ball over like crazy lately. I think its due to defenders figuring him out a bit as well as just plain inconsistency that comes with being that young, last game he was a beast getting to the rim on the slow ass Clippers, lets hope he looks to drive more often.

7. Warriorfansnc93

<div class="quote_poster">YayAreaFanatic Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">
    With SJax and AL the W's will obliterate the 3's attempted record anyway.</div>

Yeah, cause Dun and Murphy did not take very many 3s, that was their best aspect of their game![​IMG]

8. AnimeFANatic

AnimeFANatic JBB JustBBall Member

Despite his poor 3pt %, he's still light years ahead of Hughes in the FG% department.

9. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

Maybe Monta has not got his shot going because of his shoulder injury? I don't know, I won't worry about it. Monta can be a plus-factor by being a Cassell/Parker type of PG.

10. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

Monta has always been able to completely dominate a game. In highschool, he could run circles around anyone. I mean, basically imagine Monta right now, but playing against high-school kids. That's really what it was (he just came out of high school very recently). He never played college, so he never faced bigger, tougher, more athletic players than high-school kids until he got to the NBA.

The game has always been effortless for Monta, and it was still that way for the beginning of this year. But now that he's made some noise, teams actually prepare for him. Players figure out his weaknesses. This didn't happen in highschool.

I think the problem with Monta is that he plays too effortless sometimes. He makes casual, one-handed passes which are turnover-prone. Many players do things like that to try to "look" like the game is easy, like they have it all under-control and aren't stressing.

I truly believe JRich tries to make the game "look" easy with those types of passes because in reality he's not a natural passer. It's like when someone can't dribble well, so they try to do some fancy dribbling or to show they have handles to prove it to the fans or other team or themselves. Most times it's not a conscious thought process; it's just a condition of the psyche.

Why throw those one-handed passes? 90% of the time they're wrong. They're a fundamentally flawed basketball play. Once in a while, with a guy like Nash, they're the correct pass at the right time given the situation. But 90% of the time, not only are they unneccessary, they're faulty. They are a basketball error.

There are three things wrong with one handed passes:

1)you get less zip on the ball and therefore it takes longer to get to the target and is more easily intercepted

2)they're harder to aim. It's like shooting a three with one hand. You need the other hand to stabilize, especially on something like a bounce-pass where spin is needed.

3)you can't take them back. You can't "pump-fake" a one-handed pass. Once you commit, you can't put the breaks on. That's terrible because not only do you lose the ability to fake -- a crucial component of freeing space both in shooting and passing -- but even if you completely telegraph the pass, you have no way of taking it back -- you have to let go of it and the defender can walk away with it for a dunk.

Why do the one-handed passes, then? Basically, they're lazy passes. They're non-chalant and take less effort. It's like "ah, this game is so easy, who needs to stress out, here dog, *flick*" That always bugs me.

But while I think for JRich he makes those kinds of plays because he's "trying" to be somebody that he just isn't, with Monta I think it's because he's used to having an effortless attitude. Those kinds of plays work in high school. Sloppy entry-passes work in highschool. Lazy bounce passes work in highschool.

So, IMO, while a coach needs to work with Monta on his passing and a few other fundamental aspects of the game, he needs to seize that killer fundamentally-sound mind-frame and know that it is his ticket to greatness. It will help him eliminate turnovers and increase his assists. And once that happens, his shot will open up and he'll get back to draining threes.

This kid is an awesome shooter. He just needs to stabilize the rest of his game so he's not making mistakes and taking himself out of the flow. If he does that he'll be money from downtown IMO.

11. dallasdude

dallasdude JBB JustBBall Member

When i looked at the title, I thought you were gonna say Monta Ellis is injury prone like Larry Hughes.

12. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

<div class="quote_poster">Clif25 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Maybe Monta has not got his shot going because of his shoulder injury? I don't know, I won't worry about it. Monta can be a plus-factor by being a Cassell/Parker type of PG.</div>

I think this is right. He was somewhere between a 1/3 3-point shooting player or 2/3 but now he's just horrible probably because of injury that hasn't fully healed. He normally doesn't go wild on threes anyway (well compared to Baron) since he can destroy players one-on-one and is a terrific finisher. But he takes em now because guys dare him to shoot.

Here was his stats for 2005-2006

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3966/g...kvLYF?year=2005

I don't think Ellis has Dunleavy-itus, do you? [​IMG] He'll probably bounce back at some point with proper rest.

He was also pretty decent starting out, limiting himself to only 2 attempts if he missed em both.

13. Warriorfansnc93

Yeah, his 3pt shot could be effected by the shoulder injury. Possibly even his FTs.

AlleyOop, if you dont like 1 handed passes, you better close your eyes when you see Sarunas pass. But the difference is he makes some nice zippy passes with that one hand...

14. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Warriorfansnc93 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Yeah, his 3pt shot could be effected by the shoulder injury. Possibly even his FTs.

AlleyOop, if you dont like 1 handed passes, you better close your eyes when you see Sarunas pass. But the difference is he makes some nice zippy passes with that one hand...</div>

He doesn't telegraph it, does he?

Nothing wrong with one-handed passes as long as its not obvious where the ball is going to. Take for instance, the no-look behind the back pass! Booyah!

15. AlleyOop

Once in a while they're okay -- usually when they're coming from a point guard's hands (like Nash). However, when they become a lazy habit, as is the case with Monta and JRich, they're a recipe for turnovers (see Monta and JRich's TOs).

16. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">AlleyOop Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Once in a while they're okay -- usually when they're coming from a point guard's hands (like Nash). However, when they become a lazy habit, as is the case with Monta and JRich, they're a recipe for turnovers (see Monta and JRich's TOs).</div>

Well that's because they're not very good decision makers. Doesn't matter what pass they make if they can't make the right decisions or "see" the play before it happens. I never thought Ellis was that accurate of a passer, but he's getting better with putting things on the money and making the simple play.

Jrich is decent passer. 3 assists a night guy. Good entry feed passer. He probably won't attempt to do what Ellis does on the drive and dish. He ain't that quick and he ain't that gifted with the ball. But Jrich is a different kind of guy because he tends to play within himself more times than not. He isn't very good at controlling the ball since he's not that kind of player. Ellis is way better, but he's got no left at times. If we take away his left he might have some troubles, but have we ever seen such a spectacular finisher? I think he finishes better than Baron sometimes just because he's a step quicker. Baron is more power type of guy, but he can get his shot adjusted by bigger players who get there in time to contest. Plus, with in the lane floaters, I trust Ellis more with that shot. He is like young Nick Van Exel or Tony Parker with that shot.

17. AlleyOop

<div class="quote_poster">custodianrules2 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Well that's because they're not very good decision makers. Doesn't matter what pass they make if they can't make the right decisions </div>

Not really. I mean proper fundamentals would help regardless. Sure they need to learn to make better decisions, but that will never matter if they act on those decisions using poor fundamentals.

JRich will have an excellent decision to pass to an open cutter. Unfortunately, he'll use terrible fundamentals to act on that great decision, picking up his dribble with one hand and in the same motion flicking a pass into traffic. The ball will squirt out of his hand awkwardly and it'll be a turnover.

Learning how to make proper passes is academic. You just need someone to get on you about it, and you need to practice it. If they did that, their turnover-rate would drop, regardless of their decision making.

But this one-handed pass thing is just an example of poor fundamentals. I bring it up because you hear a lot of people complaining about Monta's turnovers lately.

Beans needs to learn how to hold still on the high pick-n-roll. Pretty soon the refs are going to call that moving screen a bit more often when coaches start complaining about it.

Barnes needs someone to pull him aside and teach him how to turn a 3-on-1 into a 2-on-1. Right now he's a pass-n-crash juwst waiting to happen. Anyone disagree?

18. REREM

REREM JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Warriorfansnc93 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Yeah, cause Dun and Murphy did not take very many 3s, that was their best aspect of their game![​IMG]</div>

Harrington and Jax shoot a lot more 3's than Dun-Murph,Jazzy shoots half his shots from the arc. A couple years ago,Jackson fired over 400 3's...which got his ass shipped out of Atlanta.

19. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">AlleyOop Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">
    Barnes needs someone to pull him aside and teach him how to turn a 3-on-1 into a 2-on-1. Right now he's a pass-n-crash juwst waiting to happen. Anyone disagree?</div>

Nope.

And I agree that we need more players who are athletic and have basketball sense and fundamental skill.