More Durant articles (Times and PI)

Discussion in 'Oklahoma City Thunder' started by Sir Desmond, May 23, 2007.

1. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">After a wretched season, the Sonics have no coach, no general manager, a president less than a month into his job, a new owner less than a year into his job, and the prospect of a final season in Seattle in 2007-08.

At least for a day -- maybe for a decade -- none of it matters.

Which is why every athlete, coach and sports executive says it's better to be lucky than good.

The Sonics abandoned attempts to be good and simply let Dame Fortune have her way with them. She seems to have delivered college basketball's player of the year, Kevin Durant of Texas.

There's no explaining it, no defending it. If one can just let go of rationality, preposterousness is always the best part of a superb sports moment.

This 18-year-old kid is so good he may be able to do what all the oil money in Oklahoma City, all the high-tech money in Seattle and all the city and state politicians have not -- secure a future for the franchise here.</div>

Art Thiel says Durant could completely turn the Sonics around...

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Smell it. It's called fresh air. After months of inhaling toxic news, the Sonics and their nose-pinching fan base can breathe.

Look at it. It's called light. After months of gloom, there's a glint in the dungeon.

Feel it. It's called hope. After months of despair, a 40-year-old pro basketball franchise has a draft pick that it can view as an elixir.

It's impossible not to dream right now. The most important offseason in Sonics history just received some desperately desired luck. Next month's NBA draft is considered a two-megastar event, and Seattle was given the opportunity Tuesday to pick one of those franchise players.

The Sonics "earned" the No. 2 pick, and with it, they won't just be selecting young star Kevin Durant. They will be selecting a savior. It's a lot to put on a kid who doesn't turn 19 until Sept. 29, but that's the truth.</div>

...while Jerry Brewer claims Rashard is completely expendable.

2. M Two One

M Two One Halló Veröld!

Student
    Congrats to Seattle as well as Portland. I'm curious to know from all Sonics fans' viewpoints on how this will benefit and/or possibly hurt your team in any way. Of course there will be matchup problems, but what else can be told?

3. bbwSwish

bbwSwish Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.

<div class="quote_poster">M Two One Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Congrats to Seattle as well as Portland. I'm curious to know from all Sonics fans' viewpoints on how this will benefit and/or possibly hurt your team in any way. Of course there will be matchup problems, but what else can be told?</div>

I don't see how this could hurt Seattle. The expectations may raise a little bit but when you bring in a potential superstar like Durant that is bound to happen. I can't really think of any other negative aspects of this situation. I think the Sonics are really lucky and they just landed the piece that will save their franchise and make them a force for years to come.

4. monty001

monty001 Sonics belong in Seattle

Here's also a Lenny Wilkens interview from The News Tribune

Link

Lenny is hiding something.

5. bbwSwish

bbwSwish Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">League sources said Tuesday night that Phoenix vice president David Griffin and assistant coach Marc Iavoroni, who are considered the leading candidates for the GM and coaching job in Memphis, will consider the Sonics after the lottery shakeup. The Grizzlies entered the lottery in second place and fell to fourth.</div>

Link

I found that part of the Seattle Times article to be the most interesting. What do you guys think of Iavoroni?