Murphy expects to return in Febuary

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Purple N Gold, Jan 31, 2004.

1. Purple N Gold

Purple N Gold JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">OAKLAND, Calif. -- Injured Golden State forward Troy Murphy believes he's ahead of schedule in his rehabilitation from a deep bone bruise and stress reaction in his right ankle.

The 6-foot-11 Murphy is out four to six weeks and has missed the last 12 games for the inconsistent Warriors. He expects to play again after the All-Star break.

Murphy had another MRI late last week that was compared to an earlier test. This one "showed improvement," he said.

The foot is the same one he injured in training camp, forcing him to miss the entire preseason and the first 22 games of the regular season. Trainers don't believe the injuries are related.

"The swelling and inflammation are down," said Murphy, a third-year pro who averaged 11.7 points and 10.2 rebounds last season. "On Monday, I began riding the bike and doing ankle strengthening exercises. I'll start running next Wednesday after the road trip. It would be a little early, so I hope all goes well."

Murphy is averaging 7.5 points and 6.1 rebounds in 11 games.

The Warriors' first game after the All-Star break is Feb. 18 at home against the Los Angeles Lakers.

With all the injuries the team has dealt with this season, coach Eric Musselman is cautious about making any predictions with his hurt players.

"It's not going to be until after the All-Star break," he said before Friday's game against Chicago. "Until a guy runs, it's hard to tell if they'll have a setback."

Murphy has been limited to shooting free throws.

Golden State has been struggling to have enough players to practice. Point guard Nick Van Exel is on the injured list with left knee inflammation and forward Cliff Robinson is battling back spasms.

"It stinks," Murphy said. "Four to six weeks, you can't speed it up. I have to be patient."</div>

Link:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1723500

2. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    Great news for Golden State. Expect Murphy to make an impact on this ailing team. Does this mean Dunleavy will be benched? That'll suck cause his season has been so good.

3. Purple N Gold

Not sure, I don't even think Murphy ever worked his way into the starting lineup when he came back for that short time. I guess once he's healthy enough, the Warriors will send Cliff to the bench, which allows Murphy to start. Either way, Cliff will give this bench more depth and will still be in down the stretch of games.

4. Rave

Rave JBB JustBBall Member

I was wondering where he'd gone off to. You're better of with Dunleavy, Murphy provided some good offense, but what Dunleavy's done for the Warriors this year, far outweights anything Murphy ever did.

5. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    Murphy was a big part of the Warriors success last season. This season he still managed to grab 6.1 rebounds per game coming off the bench.

6. Purple N Gold

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Magic Johnson:</div><div class="quote_post">but what Dunleavy's done for the Warriors this year, far outweights anything Murphy ever did.</div>
    I wouldn't say so. Murphy was #6 in the whole NBA last year in double doubles. He's a monster on the boards and also provides nice scoring production. If your talking about what Murphy has done this year, then we can't really say much. After all, for the 11 games he did come back, he only averaged 20.6 minutes a game. If he continued to play, he eventually would have got got penciled in as the starter. After it's all said and done, when Murphy feels good enough, he'll put put ahead of Cliff at the PF spot. Like I said, putting Cliff to the bench gives the Warriors even more depth, and believe it, he'll still manage to find time and find his stroke down the stretch of games.

7. Rudeezy

Rudeezy JBB Senior *********

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Magic Johnson:</div><div class="quote_post">You're better of with Dunleavy, Murphy provided some good offense, but what Dunleavy's done for the Warriors this year, far outweights anything Murphy ever did.</div>Purple beat me to it, but there is no way this comment is true. Murphy averaged a double-double last year playing in the West which is pretty impressive. Dunleavy has done a lot so far this season but I wouldn't go that far.

Anyways, Murphy is not a SF, he is a PF and will start in Cliff Robinson's place. Murphy was going to start his first game the day he went on the IL.

8. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

Make Cliff Robinson the Small Forward.

9. Purple N Gold

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting custodianrules2:</div><div class="quote_post">Make Cliff Robinson the Small Forward.</div>

Why? This is Dunleavy's 2nd year, and you can see he's making an improvement. He has had the hot hand for the Warriors many times this year, and has been a huge part of their success down the stretch of games. I rather have Cliff fresh off the bench, especially since his age is getting up there.

Bench:

Cliff Robinson- Versitle player who can provide instant scoring, and has shown he is the go-to-guy down the stretch of games this season. He has also shown that he can hit the clutch shots when the Warriors need them.

Brian Cardinal- Hustle player, will put everything on the line just to save a loose ball. Also brings some nice scoring and rebounding for a player off the bench.

Calbert Cheaney- He is simply in there for his defense, he has helped the Warriors contain opposing teams star players, which is the reason he is in there at the end of games. He will also hustle for rebounds and gives the Warriors second chance points.

Adonal Foyle- When healthy with good minutes, he's capable of averaging a double double a game. A good shot blocker, and a nice spark off the bench to back up Dampier.

See, there is no reason to put Dunleavy to the bench, they have all they need. I also think Dunleavy wouldn't be as effective off the bench. Also, Speedy Claxton, didn't put him down because he's starting now, but I assume when Van Exl gets back(if not traded with Dampier), that he'll take the starting spot back, even though I don't think that's a smart decision.

If the Warriors can keep up their late good play, and find more ways to win on the road, we may see an improvement in record from last year, hopefully.

10. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

Dunleavy

[quote name='Purple N Gold']Why? This is Dunleavy's 2nd year, and you can see he's making an improvement. He has had the hot hand for the Warriors many times this year, and has been a huge part of their success down the stretch of games. I rather have Cliff fresh off the bench, especially since his age is getting up there.

I like the idea of a 6'11 Small Forward who can play some serious D and is still faster than Dunleavy.

11. Rudeezy

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting custodianrules2:</div><div class="quote_post">

I like the idea of a 6'11 Small Forward who can play some serious D and is still faster than Dunleavy.</div>I still believe Dunleavy can do more at the 3 than Cliff can at his age.

12. InNETSweTrust

InNETSweTrust JBB Philippines' Finest

Check the Warriors of last year. It was Murphy getting those boards and not Dampier. He was almost back in the starting lineup when he came back. Too bad he came down with an injury again. I hope he comes back soon.

13. notmuchgame

notmuchgame JBB JustBBall Member

Man, I had such high expectations for Murphy this year...he is really one of my favorite players...Hopefully, he'll come back and end the season strong...

14. Rudeezy

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting notMuchgame:</div><div class="quote_post">Man, I had such high expectations for Murphy this year...he is really one of my favorite players...Hopefully, he'll come back and end the season strong...</div>I feel ya man. I really have faith that he will come out and make a statement in the second half of this season.