My Opinion on Joba’s Start and Yankees’ Win

Discussion in 'American League East' started by YankeesDaily, Apr 29, 2009.

1. YankeesDaily

YankeesDaily Member

The New York Yankees won over the Detroit Tigers by a score of 8-6. Starting for the Yankees was Joba Chamberlain and he gave up 1 earned run on 3 hits in 7 innings of work for the win. He struck out 6 and walked 3.

Joba Chamberlain pitched exceptionally well. His velocity was up and his breaking stuff was down.

Joba’s fastball was reaching 94-95 mph and he had his great back leg slider working. In the early innings, he got the ball down and got some double plays which is not what Joba is known for. If he could get the ball down and be a power pitcher, that would be a deadly combination. His two seam fastball became effective because the batters were swinging on top of it.

His slider was dropping straight down and with his velocity up, his breaking ball became sharper too. Pitchers need a third pitch in today’s game and Joba’s third pitch is his curveball which was very effective. He was throwing it at 77-78 mph.

In the third inning he was missing his location and struggled with his control which I thought was going to lead to a high pitch count. He walked 2 batters in that inning and gave up a base hit. He showed strong resiliency and got out of the inning allowing only 1 run to score.

When the Yankees scored seven runs in the 4rth inning, that seemed to give Joba a lot more confidence and he was pitching at a faster pace. If he felt pressure to do well because of Phil Hughe’s successful outing, he definitely came through.

Albaladejo has been bad his past two appearances and maybe he needs to go back to triple A but I don’t know what’s going on with Mariano Rivera. He gave up a home run in Boston and another home run today. I hope it’s just nothing.

The Yankees have a lot of high on base percentage guys on their team and they will make you work and drive up your pitch count.

Nick Swisher and Hideki Matsui both hit well. Swisher had two home runs and had four RBI. Matsui had three RBI and walked three times.

Swisher has power from both sides of the plate and it seems that he has the same looking swing. He hit a home run batting lefty and righty.

Matsui had much better balance at the plate and drove the ball. Matsui’s health is making him swing the bat and run the bases better.

huevonkiller likes this.
  2. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

I caught a couple of the middle innings. Joba looked damn good. I liked the rate he was working at.

I like your recaps. I like what you do for the MLB forum here. Good job, man.

3. huevonkiller

huevonkiller Change (Deftones)

Student.
    Yeah thanks for your recaps man, I'll rep you for the trouble you go through to do them.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  4. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

Its too bad your not a baseball fan though, HK.

5. YankeesDaily

YankeesDaily Member

I don't know what being repped means but I guess thanks anyway.

6. huevonkiller

huevonkiller Change (Deftones)

Student.
    At the top of your screen next to where it says "Forum Rules", you should see a link that will take you to your User CP. There you'll collect rep points, sometimes comments will be attached to them. :cheers: