My testosterone thread

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BrianFromWA, Dec 11, 2008.

1. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

Probably because it's late, and probably because I'm frustrated, I'm going to make this thread, and putting it out there.
    (First: I can't predict game scores to save my life. Once I got behind, I started realizing that I'd have to pick outliers and have them come through to get back in. So that's where the 137-117 scores came in)

I enjoy this team, and I enjoy watching good basketball. Portland's my team, and always has been. Don't confuse observation with fandom, though. When the team plays well, it's good win or lose. When the team plays poorly (like in the win against SAC), you'll see me posting a lot of the things they did poorly, and my thoughts about them. I also watch a lot of League Pass and NBA TV. I generally don't just spout crap out (mixing up the Lopez names notwithstanding).

I predicted 58 wins for this team, and the WCF. I predicted 13-5 after 18 games. We were 12-6. Most of you thought our schedule would have us under .500. In my analysis of this team, I can't find a lot of ways we're different than last year's Hornets, except their star (Paul) is slightly better than our star (Roy), but our bench> their bench. I didn't get a whole lot of acknowledgment that I was actually right, though many of you (to your credit) came out and said you never saw this coming and loved it. Well, I did see it coming, but to most of you who read my posts, I was a crazy homer.
    I say after almost every game how Travis is a one-dimensional me-first gunner who isn't good unless he's shooting a wide open three. He's shooting 37% inside the 3pt line. Sergio, who most agree absolutely sucks at shooting, is at 36% inside the arc. He cannot stay with his man if his man is moving around. Nate is misusing him, trusting that he's our "6th Man", when his mind after 6 years cannot compute some of the things on the court that make it basketball instead of ratball. Look at his comments from this summer in Quick's article.
    I said last year that Jack would be traded for two reasons: upgrade the PG position (since he couldn't play it well), and to keep Nate from misusing him. The same thing should happen to Travis. He has talent, he has a skill that many don't, but it's not one that helps our team more than his weaknesses hurt us. Last night's game was another notch in Travis's "Where Stupid Plays Happen" belt. I TOLD YOU SO.
    I predict that if LMA rebounds and plays around the rim more (like he did last night), he's almost an All-Star. If he stays around the 18-foot area and falls in love with his jumpshot, he's not much better than Zach was.
    I predict that Blake will not be a starting PG for us much longer--maybe finish out the year, but his complete lack of being able to set up an offense to get easy buckets. His stellar 3pt shooting has almost made up for his lack of defense and lack of playmaking ability. There are plenty of teams in the league who need just what Blake brings, b/c he does it well. I don't believe we are one of those teams.
    For those who say Sergio "overdribbles", check out what he's looking for when he's "Overdribbling". He's looking to get cutters or screen-runners the ball in good position. He's waiting for picks and screen-downs to be set. I don't know that he's ready to start yet, but he's up to 37% from 3 (and rising) and his playmaking ability has never been questioned.
    I'm not even mentioning the "bust" word about Greg until April 2010. If he still is underwhelming, then ok. But he's already a dominant rebounder, and a better-than-average defender. Once guards on our team learn how to run a pick and roll with him, he'll get his shots in good position. Once he gets his knee strength and explosion back, he won't need to be in good position. Once he starts getting the Shaq calls by the refs, he'll have a lot more FTs and a lot less ticky-tack fouls (though he needs to keep his arms straight up).

There's more stuff, but it's getting late. I'll either edit this or add later posts.
    I put my posts on here for debate and discussion b/c some of you may not get to see the game, or just read a boxscore, or don't get to rewind through sets to watch them over again. Some of you can't handle the logic, the facts, the analysis, because you're caught up in laundry, or your favorite player, or I write in paragraph form, or whatever. You don't answer questions and step around analysis. That's fine, and more power to you. I'm just done wasting my time.

Have a nice night!
    Let the :shitstorm: come...post below if you dare. I'm prepared to back up and stand by any comment above...and if I turn out to be wrong, this'll be here to rub in my face. But it hasn't happened a lot yet.

2. BlazersBlood

BlazersBlood It's flowing within me.

Funny you should say that about Jack, because I am thinking the same thing about Blake & Outlaw too. Since Nate can't save himself from himself, Pritchard is gonig to have to make a move to get those guys off the team so Nate can't keep them in the rotation. The biggest problem with that is trying to make a trade that won't disrupt team chemistry and also without creating another logjam at another position. Yes we need a PG, but if we somehow part with Blake, then Sergio and Bayless will be waiting and fighting for minutes. If we get a good banger to back up LA, is that new PF going to be happy with 15-20 minutes a game? We are loaded with talent but it will be hard to consolidate without bringing in more talent. Letting the expiring pieces walk away without getting anything back wouldn't be considered a good move either.

Longterm, Blake and Outlaw aren't the answers, IMO. Is Bayless? We'll never know this year barring any injuries. Nate is loyal to his own guys, to a fault. When Jack was screwing up time after time last year, all I could think about those late night sessions in the hotel where Jack was going over tape with coach. So Pritchard did the team a favor to help the development of the team by getting Jack off (that never gets old) the team.

One thing that hurts right now is Martell's injury, because we don't really know where he's at, and who knows if he'll regress from where he was at in preseason. And Batum has regressed a little and is now in a slump. Frye is just too soft to be a 4, so the backup PF spot is somewhat up in the air.

3. Iwatas

Iwatas Blazers Fan

Agree.

4. blue32

blue32 Who wants a mustache ride?

I agree a little bit...

Except about Blake. Blake's been a great trusty PG for this team specially with the offense that we have w/Roy and Aldridge. We don't run the Suns offense, so that's why it works now. That's the awesome thing about having Sergio in at the 2nd unit, because our offense can have 2 versions. Good stuff. Plus, Blake is smart with the ball, and is a veteran on the court.

Travis, yeah, he has his ups, his downs, his "?????" and I just don't know what to think. Sometimes I love him, sometimes I hate him...

But the question I have to ask myself is, so what if we trade him? Then we get what in return? and what we do get is going to be okay with limited time behind LMA?

Also Martell is going to come back and he's going to be good, because he has the fire, the passion and the smarts to do it. He really hasn't gotten a fair shake yet with this new team, and I think this year once healthy, is going to light it up. So I believe him to be our SF now and in the future. Specially because I think he plays better D than Trout.

Frye has been very underwhelming, and I dont know if it's because of the offense that we run, or his lack of minutes, either way, something's gotta give w/him....