My thoughts on Yi Jianlian so far.

Discussion in 'Milwaukee Bucks' started by BrewCityBuck, Nov 14, 2007.

1. BrewCityBuck

BrewCityBuck The guy with 17,000 Posts.

The Good
    - Good instincts, you can tell he's been playing competitively for a long time.
    - He hustles and makes little things happen, the fans love that about him.
    - Shotblocking, uses his height, gets his hands in the right places.
    - Good speed running the floor.
    - Doesn't show signs of frustration on the floor, plays cool.
    - Has a potentially deadly jumper for a 7-footer.

The Bleh
    - Gets banged around and pushed out of position.
    - A very average rebounder, not very aggressive going after rebounds.
    - Not aggressive on offense, settles for the jumpers every time.
    - Has not shown the athletism that he's praised for, does not attack the basket.
    - Does not seem comfortable dribbling the ball, either shoots it or passes it right away.
    - When he gets the ball on the move he gets tenative and looks to pass right away.
    - Seems to be thinking too much on the floor instead of just going through the motions. While moving on offense, it looks as though Yi is figuring out a math equation.

Thoughts.

As the season goes on obviously things are going to get easier for him, like I said, it seems like he's thinking too much and going for the easy option on offense (the jumper), I hope he starts attacking the basket, because when he isn't, he's very one dimentional on offense.</p>

2. Dark Defender

Dark Defender The Dark Passenger

Part-Time Intern, Full Time Student
    How are his post skills? Can he score on the post on guys like Krstic and Curry who aren't great post defenders?</p>

3. Schaddy

Schaddy Tangerine

I agree with most of BCB's assesment so far. I wish Yi wasn't a jump shooter, but I guess his post game will develop as he adds size and experience. I honestly was opposed to the Bucks selecting him, as he is just another mostly perimeter player who doesn't yet defend or dosome of the little things that make an average team a playoff team. That said, he appears to have simply unlimited potential, and he's shown a versatile offensive game that I didn't wholly expect for such a young foreign player. He should continue to improve, and he has the look of a legit starter for a long time. My biggest gripe against most NBAers is that they don't defend to their potential, and once again that's my gripe against Yi. But keeping in mind how young he is and how much potential he has, I'd have to say he's been a quality player so far.</p>

4. lukewarmplay

lukewarmplay Hired Goons

He's not that young.</p>