My Zach Collins thoughts

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Mediocre Man, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

This is not a bash the WABC thread. This is also not an overreaction to two summer league games thread.

He plays nothing like Meyers. His defense around the rim is already better, and he gets his shot off quickly.

My frustration is that Meyers has been one of the biggest busts/disappointments in recent memory, and as a fan of the team I was hoping a player our GM targeted and used assets to move up to get, even as a rookie against a lot of guys who won't sniff the NBA, would be better.

I was hoping to say to myself that he is already light years better than Meyers, but he hasn't shown that yet. Will he be? You'd hope so.

Maybe I just wanted a player at 10, in what was supposedly one of the best drafts in history, to help the team this year. He obviously still could, but I can only go off what I've seen, and that is a player who shows skill, but has A LOT of work to do before he helps this team.

I said before the draft that I didn't think the player we could trade up to get at 10 was really any better than who we could get at 15. I was told I was crazy, and wrong and whatever. I guess I'm just tired of waiting, and being patient.

He could come out next game and dominate. I'm not saying he won't. I'm saying I, and I'm sure others, were hoping to see our prized rookie dominate the scrubs he's played against so far.

Summer league is pretty meaningless, I get that, but you'd like to see guys play well as opposed to struggle.

That is my frustration so far.

2. Sinobas

Sinobas Banned User BANNED

His performance so far has been disappointing to me and I was one of his greatest advocates. We've had journeymen euro-league big men look better than either Collins or Swanigan have thus far and not even get invited to pre-season.

3. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

If you expected him to be NBA ready you're surely setting yourself up for disappointment. Kid is 19 years old with limited experience. Sorry to say he's another high upside project.

4. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

My hope in the draft was that we picked the person who would be transformative two years from now when it matters.

I agree that he hasn't played amazingly well. He has shown good movement on defense, but there is a lot to improve.

Wish I could have seen him play with some better guards.

I like that his shot blocking has translated and that he has kept his foul count under control. Other than that he needs time, and we should have all expected that.

5. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

You're right.

It was two summer league games. That's it.

RipCityDSCPL likes this.
  6. Harry's Raincoat

Harry's Raincoat Member

Spot on! Drafted on future potential. Highly skilled and athletic player for his age and experience. If he'd stayed in college for a few years - probably a top 3 pick. We just got him early and get to develop him in our system. He'll be good player - maybe even great - if he puts in the work (body, shooting, etc). I LOVE to see that the kid has DEFENSIVE INSTINCTS. Some others on our roster don't.

Dougnsalem, Binx, Pridan and 6 others like this.
  7. Schilly

Schilly Well-Known Member

Huh imagine that mediocre man posting about being down on a player...

8. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

I don't think it's wrong to be frustrated with Collins, I really hope he develops into a good player (and I think he should be a rotational player in 1-2 more seasons). I think my biggest issue is more what we gave up for Collins, we ultimately gave up two first round picks in a deep draft for a player with nice upside but not even remotely close to playing more than garbage time minutes in the regular season. That's just kinda hard to accept when you take a player top 10.

Binx, 42N8Bounce, BonesJones and 4 others like this.
  9. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    FWIW, Justin Jackson yesterday in 34 minutes was 2-13 from the field, 0-8 from 3-pt range with only 2 rebounds, 2 assists, 3 TOs, 0 steals and 0 blocks. Harry Giles was a DNP.

Pridan, Nate, Chris Craig and 10 others like this.
  10. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

My problem was that I wanted to trade the picks to acquire veteran help for our rotation. Rookie projects aren't going to help us right now. Hell, Meyers is going into his 6th season as a project. I can see Collins potential, but we gave up a lot to get him and I'm not sure he was worth the price. I also don't see a lot of confidence.

11. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

You and your crazy facts. Where's the fun in that?

BNM

Dougnsalem, dviss1, rotary111 and 2 others like this.
  12. KeepOnRollin

KeepOnRollin Well-Known Member

And we tried to do that. Not really our fault KP said no thanks (actually kind of a little our fault but that shouldn't have affected him).

13. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

I don't know the extent of what Neil attempted. We know he tried to get PG. Was that it or did he try to trade for other star players? I don't know. I wasn't really expecting stars honestly.

14. Boob-No-More

Neil tried to trade all three picks for Paul George and Pritchard turned him down and took a worse deal. What was he supposed to do, hold a gun to his head?

Short of Paul George, there weren't any other veterans available that would have made us contenders this season. Once IND turned us down, Neil went with Plan B - pick someone who has the potential to help in the future when GSW might actually be beatable.

Only time will tell if Collins was the right pick, but after losing out on the PG13 sweepstakes, it was the right strategy.

BNM

Dougnsalem, Pridan, Trackjack and 7 others like this.
  15. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

Seeing all it took to land Jimmy Butler makes me wonder how the fuck we didn't get in on THAT

Binx likes this.
  16. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    Butler wanted to play for a former coach or stay in CHI.

riverman, BBert, 0-Our! and 3 others like this.
  17. gatorpops

gatorpops Allen Crabb hits winning shot on Nov24 vs Blazers

Honey-Do's
    This is a great thread. Thi is why I come here to get info and insight (such as it is) about the Blazers. I get disapointed lot.

Eastoff, riverman and SlyPokerDog like this.
  18. Boob-No-More

What would mortgaging the future to add veteran non-stars have accomplished?

BNM

Schilly and HailBlazers like this.
  19. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    For as little as it took, Portland couldn't have been come close to that offer (assuming Lillard/McCollum/Nurkic weren't on the table). Generously, maybe the three Portland picks are equal to #7 (15 and 20 got 10, so depends on whether you think 27 would have moved them up to 7). But Chicago apparently really liked Dunn. If they liked Dunn, then Portland had no assets that could have matched Dunn and Lavine.

Now, if you were willing to trade McCollum, that might have gotten the job done, but McCollum is not viewed as a tradeable player on this forum so I assume you weren't including him as a possibility.

JFizzleRaider likes this.
  20. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    Collins can do it all. Great footwork, great shooting including FT shooting, very good defender.

Right now he's a Nervous Nelly playing in front of his childhood friends and without a Point Guard. I can't remember an SL where I couldn't wait until our starting guards were out of the game so a PG scrub who won't come close to making the team could come in and not pass the ball to our bigs' knees.

As others have said, he's too thin due strictly to his age. Add some creatine and protein powder, sprinkle in a few hundred Nurkic back-ins and weight room sessions, and he'll be fine. When Biggie gets these things, he'll be a beast!