Nagbe's Goal - Amazing!

Discussion in 'Portland Timbers' started by Public Defender, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Public Defender

Public Defender brigadier general

asking questions
  2. Wheels

Wheels Is That A Challenge?!?!1! Staff Member Global Moderator

I def kind of had a "Wait what just happened" look on my face when it happened. Too bad it was so far away from me across the pitch lol.

3. GriLtCheeZ

GriLtCheeZ "Well, I'm not lookin' for trouble."

Gleaming the Cubicle
    Très sick!

4. agoo

agoo Member

Its a definite goal of the year candidate. He'll have competition for goal of the week though if he's not careful. Andy Najar had a fantastic goal for DC this weekend. Hopefully the Timbers Army gets out the vote for him.

I'll take Hassli's goal vs the Sounders over this one, but it was pretty damn good. If we can ever figure out if Shea's goal vs the Galaxy was a shot instead of a cross, I'll have to put Nagbe third.

5. Wheels

just saw Shea's goal.. not sure how the crap that could have been a cross. More of a shame how little of people were there to see it. I wonder if Dallas will have a team in 5 years

6. agoo

agoo Member

Great stadium, shit location. Its too far outside of Dallas to regularly be packed. Its a shame too as that Dallas squad has really hit its stride in the last couple of years.

7. Wheels

for sure. They are a very good club. I've also read on other forums that One side of the stadium is usually more full cause it has shade and all that on one side but not the other. Which could keep people away from their sweltering heat.

You seem to have followed MLS for a while. Are any of these poorly supported teams going to ever get a SSS (DC or New England) or relocated ?

8. agoo

agoo Member

DC United aren't poorly supported by any stretch. There have been rumors of a Baltimore stadium for DC United, but folks are worried that they would lose a lot of the support they have from the DC crowds. They really need a stadium though as RFK is in terrible shape.

As for the Revs, who knows what is happening. Robert Kraft owns the team and he built Gillette using his own money, but there are some issues getting land for a SSS in the Boston area. He wants to be accessable by public transportation and by car, but all of the "not in my back yard" folks are holding him back. The Wonderland Dog Track is a logical spot, but the locals don't want the traffic work that would come along with it. He's also been looking at Somerville, but hasn't made progress. There are also a very large and growing contingent who think that Kraft has no interest in the Revs and that he can just keep them in Gillette since he isn't paying rent on the facility, which keeps costs low and profits possible.

9. Wheels

sorry not sure why I included DC in the poor attendance, for some reason I always lump them in, when its a Stadium deal with them. I would hope their attendance could grow a little with a SSS.

New Englad is the one I'm worried about holding back. They seem to be stuck in that "Mls 1.0" mindset and I've read stuff about that too with them sticking at Gillette for free rent and just making some money. Sad

10. agoo

agoo Member

It really is a shame that the Revs can't catch up. For a while there, they dominated the draft and made four MLS Cup Finals, but their success (and Houston's to a degree) probably is what screwed them over in the long run. While those two teams were building through the draft, the other clubs were moving on from that model and taking in players from South America and building through that and trades. If you look over the rosters now, they have one South American player between them (Franco Coria, a reserve defender for the Revs).

Just for fun, here is the MLS single table by points, followed by number of South American players:
    LA Galaxy - 5
    FC Dallas - 7
    Seattle Sounders FC - 4
    Real Salt Lake - 5
    Philadelphia Union - 5
    Columbus Crew - 5
    New York Red Bulls - 1 (2 if you count Colombian born Juan Agudelo)
    Colorado Rapids - 0
    San Jose Earthquakes - 1
    Houston Dynamo - 0
    DC United - 1
    Portland Timbers - 2
    Toronto FC - 2
    Sporting Kansas City - 1
    CD Chivas USA - 3
    Chicago Fire SC - 3
    New England Revolution - 1
    Vancouver Whitecaps FC - 1

If you notice, the six best teams are also the six teams that have the most South American players. The reasons are simple. They generally provide attacking skills that are not common in American players and they're cheap so clubs can put better talent around them. The new model for success appears to be having strong scouting in South America where you can bring in some cheaper talents from Colombia or the lesser clubs of Argentina and Brazil and then hope that they develop. If they don't, you're not out a whole lot of money in a transfer or a contract.

There's also the new players streams of designated players (LA and New York lead the way there) and academies, where FC Dallas is on top, followed by DC United. Once the players the Revs had played their way into larger contracts and had to be moved, it was too late for them to get on the South American train. Also, Boston would be attractive to players, but Foxboro and playing in the Gillette Stadium Caverns on field turf isn't what guys in their 30s are looking for to extend their careers.

GriLtCheeZ likes this.
  11. Wheels

interesting indeed. I like the idea of mining players from South America personally. Even to raise them up to sell off to Europe if need be, as long as the money is re-invested. The number of of international slots would hopefully go up to allow that no?

12. GriLtCheeZ

GriLtCheeZ "Well, I'm not lookin' for trouble."

Gleaming the Cubicle
    Great post!

13. agoo

agoo Member

I wouldn't want it to. MLS is key to the development of the game in the US and you can't do that if you're not using American players. 17 of the 23 guys on the Gold Cup roster started in MLS, and the number was the same for the World Cup in 2010. Part of the reason why England underwhelms everyone is all of the hype about the Premier League, but the players on the top clubs aren't English. I would never want to see MLS go that way.

Also, the rosters rules aren't entirely restrictive to foreign players. Looking at the Philadelphia Union, 12 of the 25 guys on the roster are foreign born. Guys with green cards don't count as foreigners even if they're not citizens of the US. In the case of the Union, I know at least five of those guys don't count because they've been here long enough to have green cards.

14. agoo

agoo Member

I should also add that the South American thing isn't necessary new, just emphasized more of late. OF the 15 MLS MVP award winners, six are South Americans, including two of the first three and four of the last five. Looking over the finalists of the 15 years, there are only four years that don't have a South American in the top three.

Also, Colorado are the reigning MLS Cup Champions and they have zero South Americans, so this is no exact science. They were able to pair two of the three best defensive midfielders in the league with one of the better groups of forwards and athletic centerbacks behind them. They'd choke the life out of you and then hoof it up to Casey or Cummings for goals. Very much not an MLS 2.0 club, but as strong up the middle as any MLS club I can think of.

15. 3RA1N1AC

3RA1N1AC 00110110 00111001

i fucking clicked on the link, and it wanted me to install a new video player or something? fuck it

16. agoo

agoo Member

[video=youtube;068FEa5VqF4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=068FEa5VqF4[/video]

[video=youtube;w8Vfdx7LEh4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8Vfdx7LEh4[/video]

[video=youtube;EDi8p87yIzw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDi8p87yIzw[/video]

Try YouTube. I added the Shea and Hassli goals for comparison. Who you got?

HailBlazers likes this.
  17. 3RA1N1AC

3RA1N1AC 00110110 00111001

nagbe and sheas goals could have been defended beter by the keepers, but great goals regardless....hasslis goal was immortal though, unreal

18. agoo

agoo Member

Those goals were scored on three of the better keepers in MLS. Rickets (Shea's goal) is the reigning keeper of the year.

19. Wheels

I got Hassli's goal. Running away from goal, had to turn his whole body around.. wowsa

20. <-=*PdX*=->

<-=*PdX*=-> RCTID

I just think its great that there is even a debate over the best goal this season. Quality of MLS is rising.