Nash is OFFICIALLY better than John Stockton

Discussion in 'Out of Bounds' started by ROCK4LIFE, Jul 19, 2006.

1. ROCK4LIFE

ROCK4LIFE Active Member

I'm not a Suns fan at all. But this guy is incredible. For a player his size, to be putting up numbers like that is ridiculous. I know it's a little early to be saying this. But by the time he retires, I think Steve Nash will be the greatest point guard behind Magic. John Stockton was a beast, but to me, Nash is better and more talented. They were smart, and Stockton was a tougher defender. But Nash needs to be considered one of the best pg's ever right now.

2. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

Did he do anything particularily special on July 20th that warranted this thread right now? It seems either a bit late or way too premature, depending on your perspective.

3. Flashback

Flashback JBB JustBBall Member

for shame... I will never say it until it is done, I love Stock, he was the definition of a pure point-guard, I'll have to watch the rest of Nash's career to see if he compares, as if stands right now:

Stockton>>>Nash

4. NJNetz

NJNetz BBW Banned

Nash has been playing great only for 2 seasons. Stockton and Kidd have been playing like that their whole career. How can you say that he is better?

5. The One & Only

The One & Only JBB The Orlando Tragic

If your basing this on his 2 year stint in Phoenix then seriously....where have you been? Have you heard of Jason Kidd?

6. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

Nash is not better than Stockton. No way. For that matter, I still think JKidd is a better point guard than him. He led a less talented Nets team to back to back finals and should have won at least one MVP within those seasons. Beyond that, to show his importance, when he left the Suns....they went downhill in a hurry. Nash hasn't proven me as to why he'd be better than Stockton, Kidd, Magic, or any of those guys. He's won two MVPs...big whoop. He led an extremely talented Suns team to back to back WCFs. Woohoo, good for him. But, flashback, what did he do in Dallas? That's right, nothing. He made the playoffs, but so have hundreds of other players. Ever since he went to the Suns and was given the ability to spread the ball around at his own discretion and run an unbelievably high tempoed game, his production has gone up, and people have praised him. Too bad he hasn't done it consistently in his career. Beyond that, prior to MVP season #1, he'd never averaged more than 8.8 assists, and for that matter, that was the only year he'd broke 8 assists. JKidd, on the other hand, hasn't averaged less than 8.3 since his rookie year, while Stocton had 10, that's right, 10 straight seasons of 10.5 or more, including a pair of seasons where he averaged 14, and three more where he had 13 or more. So, at this moment, I can't say he's better than Stock or Kidd. Their numbers and success are so overwhelming while Nash wasn't even headed to the HOF up until he came to Phoenix, as opposed to the Stock and Kidd, who, in my opinion, should each be sure-fire HOFers.

7. The One & Only

The One & Only JBB The Orlando Tragic

Some well placed words from Moo2K4. I think its all the new people tuning into the NBA that praise Nash so much more than he deserves.

8. umair

umair "Never underestimate the heart of a champion."

Stockton>>>Nash. Nash has not yet reached the level of Stockton..

9. NJNetz

NJNetz BBW Banned

It's amazing how little people know about basketball. I'm talking in general, because I know many people that claim Nash to be the best ever. When I compare his career stats to Stockton,Kidd,Magic they act stupid. I hand them the facts to their face and they still claim Nash is better. I guess they don't want to admit their wrong, or they just don't basketball.

10. AKIRA

AKIRA GO LAKERS!!!

more things
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting Rock4life:</div><div class="quote_post">I'm not a Suns fan at all. But this guy is incredible. For a player his size, to be putting up numbers like that is ridiculous. I know it's a little early to be saying this. But by the time he retires, I think Steve Nash will be the greatest point guard behind Magic. John Stockton was a beast, but to me, Nash is better and more talented. They were smart, and Stockton was a tougher defender. But Nash needs to be considered one of the best pg's ever right now.</div>

so, basically you think flashy passing defines a point gaurds skill? the reason nash has so many assists is because every one of his teammates a talented scorers and nobody else on his team plays the same position,not one guy on the suns is a pass first guy, so he racks up the assists at ease. stockton and kidd worked for their assist records, they didnt have a guy who could just score anytime he wants (although stockton did have malone, and carter has only been with nets a short while).

11. TheFreshPrince

TheFreshPrince JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Chutney:</div><div class="quote_post">Did he do anything particularily special on July 20th that warranted this thread right now? It seems either a bit late or way too premature, depending on your perspective.</div>

lol, i thought the same thing. Stockton is a beast, this thread is dumb, check the numbers. Nash needs like 20 apg and 5 spg to even get close to stockton

12. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

Nash is a victim of two great seasons. But, what he's done doesn't compare to what Stockton did in the 90s, when he compiled 10 straight 10+apg years. Nor does it compare to the fact that JKidd had his fewest assists in his rookie season, and has since not had an average of under 8.2 apg. Nash, on the other hand, didn't average 8 apg until 3 years ago, his last with Dallas. Beyond that, Nash has a paltry career apg of 7.1. Lets take that in comparison to JKidds 9.2, Magic's 11.2, and Stockton's 10.5. To put it in even more perspective, Andre Miller has a higher career average (7.2) than Nash. So, in my opinion, you can't call Nash the best ever just cause of two seasons. Look at the career. And if you do that, he's no better than 4th.

13. TheFreshPrince

TheFreshPrince JBB JustBBall Member

^^good point, jkidd is better than nash anyways. Look at the stats, plus all the triple doubles

14. openglfx

openglfx JBB JustBBall Member

Did you guys ever think of factoring in his shooting ability? Not just playmaking ability?

15. AKIRA

AKIRA GO LAKERS!!!

more things
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting openglfx:</div><div class="quote_post">Did you guys ever think of factoring in his shooting ability? Not just playmaking ability?</div>

yes, but then this thread would be completely different, in that we wouldnt be discussing the best passers but the best scorers, and steve nash is neither.

16. NTC

NTC Active Member

hahahaha, good one.

17. dtay

dtay formely NaKz

I dont get how exactly it is "official".
    I agree with everyone here. To compare Nash to Kidd, Stockton, Magic is ridiculous.

There are still more PG's who stack up better than Nash.
    Oscar Robertson, Isiah Thomas, I'd even argue Kevin Johnson is better.

18. BlueBayou

BlueBayou JBB JustBBall Member

Nash is also a far less effective defensive player than J Kidd and even Stockton. Nash can shoot yeah, but Kidd is way better going to the rim, Kidds bigger, faster, and better.

19. TimmyDMVP

TimmyDMVP JBB JustBBall Member

Maybe this thread is a joke cuz it got me laughing [​IMG]

20. yudalicious

yudalicious JBB JustBBall Member

the whole Suns system makes anyone on their team look better offensively. When it comes to defense and pure playmaking, Nash doesn't hold a straw to Stockton. When it comes to offense Nash's offense skills are way overrated because of the Suns system. Take almost anyone off the Suns team and put him on another team his point production will drop. Heck I could avg 10 pts a night playing for the suns... no, maybe not. I think it's dumb when people attribute the Sun's offensive success entirely to Nash... the other players and the style of play helps Nash just as much as he helps the team.