Nash Out as Blazers GM

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Shapecity, May 31, 2006.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">It came as little surprise, but at least now the news is official instead of just speculation: Blazers general manager John Nash will not have his contract extended for next season. In his place, team president Steve Patterson will serve as the interim GM while the organization conducts a search for a new GM.

?I want to extend my deepest gratitude to the Trail Blazers organization for the opportunity afforded to me to be a part of this team and this community over the last three seasons," Nash said in a statement released by the team at 10:15 p.m. Tuesday night. "Although we shared some successes as an organization, I wish we could have made more rapid progress on the court. I am very proud of the young men that have joined the team in recent years and under the guidance of the outstanding coaching staff that is in place, progress will be made in subsequent seasons. The upcoming draft will render another talent to the roster. I would also like to thank the fans who were so supportive and patient during this difficult time of transition. Portland is a wonderful place filled with terrific fans who want nothing more than for the Team to succeed. I share their sentiments and I will be rooting for the day when the team makes Portland proud again. The past three years gave me a marvelous opportunity to meet new friends and gain an appreciation for Portland, the Northwest as well as the Trail Blazers.?

More to come Wednesday when the Blazers hold a press conference to discuss, "this and other personnel matters." Could the other personnel matters include the status of Director of Player Personnel Kevin Pritchard, whose contract had an option for next season that needed to be activated by Tuesday? It will certainly be a topic of interest.

As for Nash, his tenure likely will long be characterized for the extreme changes in the team's roster -- due to payroll cuts and character concerns -- that saw old stars Bonzi Wells and Rasheed Wallace traded while the team slowly receded until it posted the worst record in the NBA last season.</div>

Source

2. panfolk

panfolk JBB JustBBall Member

YES! Here's to new beginnings! Let's hope we get a good owner and GM and keep McMillan.