Nash trade official

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by kreidertime, Feb 25, 2018.

1. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

Nash for Boston's first, seventh, Lindgren, Spooner, Beleskey

Didn't want Beleskey's crap contract but I suppose Gorton ain't done. As far as Spooner. I can see him being dealt right away. He's a UFA next year.

2. RangersFan

RangersFan Well-Known Member

Awesome deal I think. Boston retains some of Beleskey's cap hit. Spooner an RFA this summer. Not sure how Gorton could have done better. And maybe now drives TB and Toronto to go all in for McDonagh.

Great stuff.

3. kreidertime

I think they deal Spooner right away.

4. RangersFan

Maybe, not sure as I know they have liked him in the past. I could see him sticking here, but we'll see. To me this is a grand slam of a deal by Gorton. Not sure how it would be possible to do better.

By acquiring a first-round pick, #NYR[​IMG] now have nine picks in the 2018 NHL Draft, including six picks in the first three rounds and four picks in the first two rounds.

To recap: Rangers retain 50 percent of Nash's remaining contract (UFA July 1) and Bruins in turn retain 50 percent of Beleskey contract (two more years on his deal past this season)

5. RangersFan

And again, don't underestimate the potential side bonus of this deal. If you are TB or Toronto good chance you say okay we need to keep up, let's go get McDonagh. That could be a huge bonus here as well.

6. RangersFan

With a 1.9 mill cap hit the next two seasons Beleskey isn't awful either. He had 15 goals two years ago and 22 goals the season before that. 1.9 mill is a good cap hit for him I think.

As for Spooner, he is on a one year deal for 2.8 mill this season. Cannot see him getting a big raise off of his play this year. Could be resigned for the same range number, or he could be dealt as you call out. If resigned he is good on face-offs and would be a solid 3rd line C I think. He does have some upside in his past. On pace for 15/40 this year. Went 11/40 last year and 13/50 the prior year. Again to me a solid 3rd line C.

7. kreidertime

Either way, I'm freakin thrilled to have two first round picks, two seconds, two thirds. Keep going Gorton. This draft is stacked this year.

8. RangersFan

YES...and now drive that price up on McDonagh. TB and Toronto need to keep pace with Boston. Let's get a deal done and add a third 1st round pick AND other stuff to our quick reboot.

I love it. One more move Gorton then we are set (moving Zucc or Deshar would be icing). And of course fire AV the day after the season ends.

On Zucc, I would actually keep him unless another team comes with a great offer. He is loved here, he is a leader here, and his AAV is only 4.5 so no harm keeping him for next season. If McDonagh is dealt his leadership will be huge. Won't be the new Captain due to being a UFA after next season, but he will be a big leader post McDonagh,

9. kreidertime

I like Zucc. McDonagh in the right deal can go. The return for him would be crazy good.

10. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

Yeah Gortons doing well so far, though i was kind of hoping for one of their forward prospects but can't complain about Lindgren. Should be interesting to see what else happens now. I would see what you can also get for Z as well as what they're looking to do with McD. Maybe Winnipeg or StL would take Z.

11. RangersFan

Agree 100%. Last big item is deal McDonagh. It is the smart play assuming there are good offers out there, which there should be. If Gorton does that what a week it would have been for him and our future. You have to think the return will be huge if McDonagh gets dealt (even more so now).

Hold Zucc. If you can get a whatever late round pick for Deshar do it. Fire AV the day the season ends. That's how I would play it.

12. RangersFan

1. Bob McKenzie‏Verified account@TSNBobMcKenzie 12m12 minutes ago
    1. As for Beleskey, with BOS retaining 50 per cent, two years left with AAV of $3.8M, or $1.9M cap hit for NYR, he can either play on Ranger roster or, failing that, about half of that $1.9M cap hit could be buried in the minors. Either way, not onerous for NYR
    1. [​IMG] Bob McKenzie‏Verified account@TSNBobMcKenzie 17m17 minutes ago
    1. Spooner is young enough, at age 26, to possibly stay with NYR and while he’s expected to play tonight, Spooner becomes like any other NYR at this deadline: available for the right price. So we’ll see if there’s any action on him.
    1. [​IMG] Bob McKenzie‏Verified account@TSNBobMcKenzie 19m19 minutes ago
    1. From the NYR perspective, it’s mostly about accruing picks and prospects. NYR now have two firsts, two seconds and two thirds in this draft. Lindgren is a solid blueline prospect.

13. Ranger71

I can see Spooner being here for the length of his RFA deals, he seems like a solid bottom 6 guy to have. Beleskey for what our cap hit is on him isn't bad for another year and they can dump him off even. Now let's root for Boston to lose early.

14. kreidertime

The reality is our defenseman corps other than Graves and Zborovskiy who I like is crap. Day is a wild card but who knows about his motor. I am thinking they are going after these d prospects to position themselves to draft some high end forwards like last year. I thought they were drafting d for sure in the draft. Now, with these 2 prospects being added, I'm not so sure.

15. Ranger71

I'd love to see them get Zadina or the Russian kid in top 5. We have alot of D to sort through now, hopefully a few of them pan out. Wonder if they go after OEL or Karlsson in 19'.

16. kreidertime

No more f'n Russians. In fact, I hope they trade Buchnevich. That kid is a lazy pussy.

17. RangersFan

Agreed, I think we go O in the draft now unless there is a dman that is simply too good to pass up, like the Swedish kid if we win the lottery.

Lindgren sounds like a potential 2nd pair stay at home dman that can skate and has some maybe potential offensive upside, but even if not he the kind of responsible in his own zone defense first dman we need more of. Good stuff to me.

18. RangersFan

I really would go all in on dealing McDonagh by tomorrow. No way I'd reach and make a deal just to deal him, but based on all I have read I think the offers for him will be high. I think to cap off this trade DL and start a hopefully quick reboot, we should deal McDonagh by tomorrow and go from there.

To have three 1st round picks in this draft would be huge. And you know we'd get another good prospect as well, if not more. I'd really press to get it done if I were Gorton, but of course not reach just to do it.

As for the Russians, I agree. Highly skilled usually, but man they are complete enigma's sometimes. Look at how their Olympic team underperforms every Olympics. Took a huge talent edge for them to finally get it done this year with a bunch of still NHL level players on the team.

Speaking of that, you can almost pencil in Kovy for sure next season. I would be very surprised if he isn't a Ranger next season. If we are back in it to win next season I think he'd be a good add at a reasonable # as a R great shot, who would be huge on the PP, and score 25 + goals I'd think.