NBA Postgame report - 4-1 on missed calls in OT in LAC's favor

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BlazerBeav, Mar 5, 2015.

1. BlazerBeav

BlazerBeav Well-Known Member

2. DaLincolnJones

DaLincolnJones Well-Known Member

That whole game was garbage calls.

3. blue32

blue32 Who wants a mustache ride?

Heh.. I am not surprised ... refs usually hate Portland.

4. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

Looks like they didn't get any calls wrong, they just missed some calls. That is a huge difference in my book, and I think missed calls are something you have to live with as a hoops fan, they cant see everything.

[​IMG]
    For instance in this gif you see the official look over, presumably to another official to see the call, right as Lillard got Jordan on the arm. This was after the game was technically over, so it wasn't on the report. However it does a good job of showing that the actions of a split second can determine whether or not a call is missed.

Draco likes this.
  5. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

Glad they are releasing these. I'm kind of surprised the league is doing this, the NBA is the most difficult sport to officiate.

One went against the Clippers that could have won them the game in regulation then 3 that could of effected the game went against us in overtime.

6. Further

Further Guy

Stuff doer
    I love that they do this now. Hopefully over time it should highlight which teams get calls and which teams don't. Any one game is just a game, but over a longer period of time I'm betting there are some pretty strong biases by the refs.

7. riverman

riverman Writing Team

And the lead official for last night's game..drumroll please.....Scott Foster!

8. noknobs

noknobs Well-Known Member

A missed call is a wrong call. I fail to see the distinction. Ask Houston what they think of the "missed" call against Memphis when Zach clearly fouled Harden. Missed calls effect the outcome of the game.

magnifier661 likes this.
  9. riverman

riverman Writing Team

This is something that needed to happen. Transparency will be Silver's legacy.

10. Further

Further Guy

Stuff doer
    both types calls are wrong, but a missed call is much more understandable. A bad call is them making shit up. If they don't see something, they shouldn't call it. The result will be missed calls. That's a lot better then them just assuming that star player X must have been fouled since they missed a shot.

11. noknobs

I don't see how assuming Zach must have stripped the ball clean when he actually committed a foul is better, or more understandable. They're both mistakes, they both effect the game.:dunno: I guess we'll agree to disagree. At any rate I like the transparency.

12. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

A missed call is not a wrong call, it is a missed call...

If an official gets a call wrong, they had improper judgement. A missed call has nothing to do with the officials judgement therefor I have more faith in an official who misses a call than I do one who gets a call wrong.

13. noknobs

A missed call is, by definition, a wrong call... If an official misses a call, they had improper judgment. A missed call has everything to do with the officials judgment.

14. Further

Further Guy

Stuff doer
    If an official missed a call it MAY not be improper judgement since there might be no judgement to begin with. They didn't see something occur. But if they see something and then make a bad call, or decide to make no call, then that is a more egregious misstep.

If a cop sees me pay for a soda and arrests me for theft, that's an overt act that is heinous by the cop. But, if there is a cop that doesn't see me steal a coke and holds the door open for me as I exit the store, that cop simply didn't observe my deception.

PDXFonz and Draco like this.
  15. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

Well I somewhat disagree; although both are a mistake I'd rather a game end with a missed call than a game end with an incorrect call.

What if hypothetically Harden had been awarded free throws if Memphis legitimately stopped him? That would be a harder loss to accept. When a player doesn't get a call he still had a chance to make a play for the win; but he failed. When a team plays perfect to win and the refs award the victory to the other team its a larger wrong.

Ideally we'd have neither though. Of course it would be best if all calls were correct. I think next year they'll start reviewing fouls in the last few minutes. I hope they speed up the process though.

Further likes this.
  16. noknobs

Yeah I was confusing a missed call with a non-call, my bad.

17. Further

Further Guy

Stuff doer
    no problem, it was an interesting issue to ponder. Have fun tonight watching another win. I'll have to miss this one, at least live, but I'll watch it at midnight.

Go Blazers!

18. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Sure the league is going to say they are "missed" calls. But how do we know which are "ignored " calls?

Answer: statistics. 4-1....