NBC Sports going all out for EPL coverage

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by porkchopexpress, Apr 16, 2013.

1. porkchopexpress

porkchopexpress Well-Known Member

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/so...ague-nbc-tv-coverage/?sct=hp_t2_a12&eref=sihp

In addition to games being shown live on network TV (as opposed to Fox airing replays after NFL games), the most exciting piece of this deal is:

That, as well as the extensive studio recaps and original programming show that NBC is pulling out all the stops for this. It makes sense too. In the fall, CBS, ABC, ESPN and FOX all have college and pro football. NBC has just Sunday night football plus Notre Dame for the most part. In the winter, CBS, ESPN and ABC all have basketball. And in the Spring, Fox and ESPN have MLB plus NBA playoffs.

Now, if someone other than BeIn sports would pick up La Liga I'd be al set.

2. KeepOnRollin

KeepOnRollin Well-Known Member

I know there are a lot of Soccer fans but I just can't get into watching it. Just like Golf and Tennis. Love to play them all. Don't love to watch them on TV though. In person? Probably would be a way better experience. I will pass when just watching on the tube however.

3. Wheels

Wheels Is That A Challenge?!?!1! Staff Member Global Moderator

Love this and could potentially be huge for growth in MLS. Not only would it increase the exposure of the sport here.. but lead in games with Euro Cup games for example, to MLS games provided the 3 highest rated MLS games last year. (2 of the 3 were Seattle v Portland though)

4. Wheels

also... in before the "soccer is boring and for pu$$ies, Baseball rules" honks

5. porkchopexpress

Um, you missed it. #2 post.

6. VanillaGorilla

VanillaGorilla Well-Known Member

Two years ago I would have said the same thing.

Played FIFA, changed my life. lol

I can even watch full soccer games on TV now!

7. porkchopexpress

Haha, maybe that's why I love watching soccer. I had the OG Fifa 96 and 97 on SNES!

8. porkchopexpress

I think the best thing is that the EPL is the most...exciting..league in general. It isn't as technical as some of the others, but it seems to be the most athletic and most physical in Europe. I think this is a good thing in terms of attracting more casual fans. And a growth in soccer fans can only do wonders for the MLS and USMNT in the long run.

NBC Sports also has the MLS rights, so all of this investment in studio analysis has to bode well for MLS coverage as well.

9. Wheels

haha nah KeepOnRollin's post wasnt anything like the other type of posts I was referring to :)

10. Wheels

muahahah All your US Based Fans are Belong to Us! - Soccer :p

11. Wheels

I'll agree to that. Probably the most well known league to draw in the casual fans as well.

I have Bein and NBC sports and the Telemundo etc.. so I'm set with EPL, La Liga, Liga MX, MLS, Ligue 1, and some Serie A (God I get bored watching those) I wish I had Gol TV for Bundesliga though. That is one of the most fun leagues in the world to watch imo.

12. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

I like the EPL because of the atmosphere at the games, and it is the best league in the world, even though La Liga may claim otherwise.

What I really enjoy are the Champions' League games, though. ESPN does a decent job of providing coverage of them.

13. porkchopexpress

They did, 3 years ago...Those are on Fox now, which is good and bad. Good that the final was/is on actual Fox, but bad that some of their early games seem to be announced by one guy. Want to know the easiest way to make a game that is boring to some even more boring..have only one commentator. I have been impressed by ESPN's EPL coverage this year. But what NBC Sports is putting together looks like it is going to blow it out of the water.

But yeah, Champions League is where it's at. The Bayern vs Barca tie is going to be great. Messi should be all healed by then. Hopefully Barca doesn't have to use Mascherano or fucking Adriano as a CB. The Europa League semis should be good too. I've never liked Chelsea, but always root for Torres. And since Ba can't play in Europa League, he'll get his chance to shine.

I think EPL and La Liga are fairly even, but since Real and Barca are so much better than the rest (you can add Athletico in there this year), it makes it look like the competition is weak.

14. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

I just watched Man U/Man City last week on ESPN2, or so I thought. Maybe it was FoxSports. Oh well.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  15. porkchopexpress

Yeah, that was on ESPN. That was an EPL game. Fox has Champions League. Not that it really matters though. :cheers:

16. porkchopexpress

Speaking of EPL, Man Utd vs West ham is on ESPN 2 right now and Chelsea vs Fulham is on Fox Soccer

17. porkchopexpress

Now this is what I'm talking about. Every Saturday, 2 games on NBC Sports and one on NBC! Plus some Sunday and midweek games. So far the schedule is only released through December 1st.

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/7/29/4568642/2013-14-nbc-epl-tv-schedule

Even if you don't like EPL, this is great news as a soccer fan. Whomever buys the next TV rights to La Liga, Bundasliga and Serie A is going to have to try and compete with the level of production and commitment that NBC is providing. Hopefully being able to regularly see Jozy, Dempsey and the rest of the American's in the EPL will drive some more interest in the USMNT as well. August 17th can't come fast enough!

18. Wheels

I would KILL for some regular Bundesliga action on Dish

19. BlazerWookee

BlazerWookee UNTILT THE DAMN PINWHEEL!

Gear Finisher
    I found a Portuguese prostitute in Amsterdam who charged a ton of money for bundesliga action, and she insisted everyone involved wore fuzzy slippers.

20. porkchopexpress

Who has it now? Is it on GolTV? Now that Pep is at Bayern, I know my wife would love to watch some games!