Nellie comments on Obryant in D league...

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Warriorfansnc93, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Warriorfansnc93

Warriorfansnc93 JBB JustBBall Member

Nelson said there are no plans to bring in reinforcements or to recall rookie Patrick O'Bryant. "We talked about bringing Patrick back," the coach said, "but he's playing so (poorly) in the D-League, he can't get double figures and double rebounds in one game."

SFgate.com

Sorry the page opened where I could not copy the link, but I am sure you can find it...

2. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

POB -- sheesh. Is there an F-League anywhere?

3. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

4. HiRez

HiRez Overlord

Does this guy really suck this much? Honestly, I've never seen one positive thing out of him. No wait, he did get off a nice looking Skyhook that looked very Jabbarian, even though he missed the shot. This is looking to be a terrible waste of a draft pick.

5. Custodianrules2

The only other guy that was remotely intriguing was Ron Brewer. Ecch what a horrible draft this year was...

6. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class="quote_poster">custodianrules2 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">The only other guy that was remotely intriguing was Ron Brewer. Ecch what a horrible draft this year was...</div>

[​IMG] There was nothing else available really. Might as well take a flyer on the 7 footer with a freakishly long wingspan and a sky hook. Hes still only 20 though isn't he? He's averaging 6.6 ppg, 7.80 rpg, 2.4 bpg for the jam, not great but not terrible. I'll wait another year or two to see something from him but I won't get my hopes up about him.

7. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Run BJM Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">[​IMG] There was nothing else available really. Might as well take a flyer on the 7 footer with a freakishly long wingspan and a sky hook. Hes still only 20 though isn't he? He's averaging 6.6 ppg, 7.80 rpg, 2.4 bpg for the jam, not great but not terrible. I'll wait another year or two to see something from him but I won't get my hopes up about him.</div>

You mean that Belgian guy that started playing basketball three years ago or something? Oh man... And to think we missed Rudy Gay by one pick. Sounds like the 2000 or 2002 draft in a way. We could have gotten Yao in 2002, and everyone kind of sucked in 2000.

8. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

I kept saying to draft Marcus Williams. No one agreed with me though. I just didn't like the look on POB's face -- a mixture of Brian Cook and Popeye Jones, with the enthusiasm of L8. I think he'd rather be whipping up cheesecake than banging around with NBA bruisers in the paint.

9. Ryan

Ryan BBW Member

Like I said in a previous post, I'd be willing to bet this guy never sees an NBA court again.

10. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">AlleyOop Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I kept saying to draft Marcus Williams. No one agreed with me though. I just didn't like the look on POB's face -- a mixture of Brian Cook and Popeye Jones, with the enthusiasm of L8. I think he'd rather be whipping up cheesecake than banging around with NBA bruisers in the paint.</div>

I agreed with you somewhat. He was BAP (Best available player) after all. But, I think he would totally kill Monta Ellis' role as a point guard project.

11. AnimeFANatic

AnimeFANatic JBB JustBBall Member

Wow, Nellie just killed whatever trade potential O'Bryant had.

12. philsmith75

philsmith75 JBB JustBBall Member

Whatever the outcome, the Warriors needed size, badly needed size and O'Bryant was the best available at that spot. Going small would have caused even more of an uproar.

13. Ryan

Ryan BBW Member

<div class="quote_poster">philsmith75 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Whatever the outcome, the Warriors needed size, badly needed size and O'Bryant was the best available at that spot. Going small would have caused even more of an uproar.</div>

I' m not so sure. IMO, they needed a 3 just as badly as a big guy, especially considering that at the time they still had Taft. I sure wish we still had him now.

14. AnimeFANatic

AnimeFANatic JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">ryanfish Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I' m not so sure. IMO, they needed a 3 just as badly as a big guy, especially considering that at the time they still had Taft. I sure wish we still had him now.</div>

Yeah... the second rounder Taft was more promising than O'Bryant, sadly. If he was healthy I'm sure Nelson would have used him.

15. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

Hopefully POB along with Ike can make Andris Biedrins type improvement. I remember many fans, probably mainly from a different forum wanting to trade Biedrins for Magloire. I think at some point that could have been me - last season was so terrible. But yeah, basically POB needs to rebound, rebound, rebound. If he can rebound, then that will be huge, especially in coming back to the Warriors. I think defensively he should end up being decent as well. I suppose I will rely on other people's comments about him having a good offensive game, but I haven't seen it. He seems to have better basketball awareness than Ike with the ball in his hands, but he has less to do with it. The ideal situation would be to give POB Ike's basketball DNA/skills. [​IMG]

16. Custodianrules2

Like our weird Dunleavy/Pietrus hybrid? 6'10 athletic with solid all-around basketball skills that actually does something visible in every game? [​IMG]

17. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    <div class="quote_poster">AlleyOop Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">POB -- sheesh. Is there an F-League anywhere?</div>

[​IMG].

I haven't been following POB since two games. He started off well, but see that his play's fallen off quite a bit. Bad time for it because if he was doing well, then he'd prolly be called up to replace Foyle while he's injured.

18. REREM

REREM JBB JustBBall Member

POB was drafted as a project with no expectations he'd be playing well yet. I'd have liked to see faster progress,yes,but We did not take him for instant payoff. The Warriors history is being overly reluctant to get young big men game experiance. I'm not thinking he's even to the point yet where playing would accelerate his progress-that may be a couple months away.

19. bbwSwish

bbwSwish Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.

Patrick O'Bryant was recalled from the D-League today along with Renaldo Major.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">
    According to D-League officials at the Showcase in Sioux Falls that spoke with DraftExpress.com, Renaldo Major has been called up by the Golden State Warriors for a 10-day contract.

He was scheduled to play on Wednesday in Sioux Falls, but is already en route to join the depleted Warriors.

Patrick O'Bryant will also be joining him.

Major is a 6-7 swingman with good athletic ability and very nice scoring instincts from inside the 3-point arc. He’s 24 years old, and seems to have improved rapidly from his collegiate days at Fresno State, where he only averaged 10.7 points per game in a senior year that was cut short by a season-ending suspension.</div>
    Source

20. Custodianrules2

REREM, just think about how good POB could have become if he stayed in college. To me he's another guy that could swing either way in terms of impact. He could be a liability or he could be a tone-setter. But he's gotta work on everything and that just sucks. It's like the problem guys like Gerald Green, Dorrell Wright, and J.R. Smith have. Awesome bodies, but terrible fundamentals and basketball mindset. The only thing keeping a few of these guys getting minutes is their unique size, quickness, athleticism, and basic raw talent like shooting a three or rebounding or a Pietrus-like drive.

Plus, I know there were many that didn't like POB because he was in a weak MVC conference, but there's a few bigs that developed nicely that were from those type of conferences. Bogut and Kaman are pretty nice players.