Nets @ Warriors - January 24

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by trg_tony, Jan 23, 2007.

1. trg_tony

trg_tony JBB JustBBall Member

warriors starting lineup:
    PG:[​IMG]
    SG:[​IMG]
    SF:[​IMG]
    PF:[​IMG]
    C: [​IMG]

nets staring lineup:
    PG:[​IMG]
    SG:[​IMG]
    SF:[​IMG]
    PF:[​IMG]
    C: [​IMG]

Hopefully the Warriors can finally pull off a win with are new players. I am happy with what I see so far but hopfully they excute when it matters, in the 4th quarter. Also hopefully Barnes gets to see some minutes on the floor, he went went from starter to cheerleader since the trade. He played so well throughout the year it would be sad for him to not play anymore.

Keys to winning: Stop Kidd from penetrating and getting others especially Carter involved. Shutdown Carter and Kidd, I dont see anyone else who can really hurt us on the Nets since Jefferson is injured. Run, Run, Run. There frontline will not be able to keep up with us the Warriors are way to athletic.

Prediction: Warriors by 6.

2. Legacy

Legacy Beast

I was gonna make this tomorrow, but thanks anyways.

I was about to go to this game, but my parents have to work. [​IMG]

3. iLL PiLL

iLL PiLL JBB JustBBall Member

u typed pacers starting lineup instead of nets. but yeah...i think this is a must win game. Lost two close ones and we really need this win

4. trg_tony

oops thanks for heads up. [​IMG]

5. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

Just as long as Miki Moore doesn't blow up for 30 pts 15 rebs, I'll be okay.

6. Gohn

Gohn JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">AlleyOop Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Just as long as Miki Moore doesn't blow up for 30 pts 15 rebs, I'll be okay.</div>
    Not with Harrington guarding him. Am I being sarcastic or not?

7. AlleyOop

I don't know, Gohn -- afterall, Harrington has been very multi-dimensional in his two games here -- he could showcase his defensive tool-kit against Moore...

8. Doctor Kajita

Doctor Kajita Active Member

Finance
    Barnes was benched the last game because Nellie wants him to know his limits. I think against the Cavs he exceeded his limits, trying to make that shot in the last minute of play. I still think he's a valuable player, if used right.

9. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

AO, Harrington is now multi-dimensional? Has Dunleavy and Murphy been that bad for us? I guess I answered my own question... yes! [​IMG]

I've seen Harrington score, score, and maybe pass a little, but he doesn't exhibit a lot of the dimensions we'd want in a small forward trying to play power forward. I'm just hoping the Harrington craze doesn't go overboard. [​IMG] It still takes a team to win games and I'm hoping Harrington can rely on his teammates more to do the things he might struggle with playing as one of these guys that will lose on either strength or speed mismatch depending on what position he's playing. He's one of these guys too slow for small forward, too weak for power forward. I'm going to have to agree with Atlanta and Pacers fans who've said that over the years. Plus, let's not forget his mediocrity on defense and sometime selfish play.

We'll see what we got, but I think Harrington is what you see is what you get. I don't think his game will change much under Nelson.

oh and I hope we beat the Nets. I think we can.

Let's learn from last time... Don't let them get the offensive rebounds!

http://www.nba.com/games/20061218/GSWNJN/boxscore.html

If Biedrins and Harrington and Pietrus don't combine for a lot of defensive rebounds, I'll be disappointed. If we're playing zone and all, we better have guys quick to the ball, otherwise we got to body up more and play man-to-man.

10. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    Must be an IMPORTANT game coming up for the Warriors. The game's not until tomorrow and the thread's already up.

CR2, no one dimensional comments about AL until after the game. He blamed himself for getting only one rebound last game. Let's see what he does about it.

Also, it will be interesting to see what Nelson does. Hope he doesn't have another new starting lineup, but he likely will. Actually, what counts more is who he plays to get us the boards if the Warriors aren't able to use their fast break weapon.

11. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">custodianrules2 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">AO, Harrington is now multi-dimensional? Has Dunleavy and Murphy been that bad for us? I guess I answered my own question... yes! [​IMG]

I've seen Harrington score, score, and maybe pass a little, but he doesn't exhibit a lot of the dimensions we'd want in a small forward trying to play power forward. I'm just hoping the Harrington craze doesn't go overboard. [​IMG] It still takes a team to win games and I'm hoping Harrington can rely on his teammates more to do the things he might struggle with playing as one of these guys that will lose on either strength or speed mismatch depending on what position he's playing. He's one of these guys too slow for small forward, too weak for power forward. I'm going to have to agree with Atlanta and Pacers fans who've said that over the years. Plus, let's not forget his mediocrity on defense and sometime selfish play.

We'll see what we got, but I think Harrington is what you see is what you get. I don't think his game will change much under Nelson.

oh and I hope we beat the Nets. I think we can.

Let's learn from last time... Don't let them get the offensive rebounds!

http://www.nba.com/games/20061218/GSWNJN/boxscore.html

If Biedrins and Harrington and Pietrus don't combine for a lot of defensive rebounds, I'll be disappointed. If we're playing zone and all, we better have guys quick to the ball, otherwise we got to body up more and play man-to-man.</div>

Good points CR2. Hopefully "Boo" can get "Twin" going with this team (I don't know if you guys caught last night's game on TV with Bob talking about how Al and Baron have known each other since being drafted I think in the same draft and people always saying they look the same in appearance. Oh yeah but "Twin" is supposively Al, and "Boo" - I think that's what he said - is Baron - I personally perfer Boss). They supposively have played and have worked out together for the last 7 years or so, and Baron was pulling for this guy all offseason. So if there is anybody that we'd want Al to know that well on this team it would be Baron.

But basically, let's win. If Al is off we still have the guys who have been doing good things all season in Pietrus, Barnes, Azubuike and now Jackson to fill in. I am going to the game, so I need to find my Latvia flag. Go Andris Biedrins! haha. Now, or rather Wednesday sounds like a good time to start a winning streak. If not a winning streak, at least it is a good time to end this losing skid. I say a blowout would be wonderful. I don't like close games anymore for the Warriors, or losses. So by default I am hoping for a blowout. [​IMG]

12. Clif25

<div class="quote_poster">jason voorhees Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Must be an IMPORTANT game coming up for the Warriors. The game's not until tomorrow and the thread's already up.

CR2, no one dimensional comments about AL until after the game. He blamed himself for getting only one rebound last game. Let's see what he does about it.

Also, it will be interesting to see what Nelson does. Hope he doesn't have another new starting lineup, but he likely will. Actually, what counts more is who he plays to get us the boards if the Warriors aren't able to use their fast break weapon.</div>

I liked Powell. Hopefully Powell, Foyle, and someday before the end of the season POB can be the front court support that this team may lack when rebounding and interior defense isn't working with the normal AB/Al or AB/Pietrus front court or against teams like the Spurs or Clipps.

13. Warriorfansnc93

Warriorfansnc93 JBB JustBBall Member

Yeah, we sure could use POB right now, if not just for the extra 6 fouls. Plus the guy is big. I thought he played decent for a rookie big man. I did not have high hopes for him. He did not make very many mistakes and that is all I really expect out of him. We got a block and a few rebounds and he hit his FTs. I say we keep him down there until we either really need him for a playoff push, or get him if we make the playoffs.

14. AlleyOop

Maybe he said Baron is "Boom," because I know he likes the nick-name "Boom-Dizzle."

Let's hope Harrington can show us that all-around, inside-outside game, offensive/defensive/special teams multi-dimensional set of tools he has at his disposal [​IMG]

I, too, like Powell -- I really don't ask much from a big man -- just come in, play hard, bang your body around, try to grab the ball whenever it's near you, an try to prevent the other guy from doing the same. I don't know why Murphy and Dunleavy had such a hard time doing that -- but Powell, for a fraction of the $$, at least throws his weight around and plays like a big man.

Honestly, the Warriors should dominate this game. This is a good make/or/break game for them -- they're struggling to stay afloat around %.500, are on their heels after losing two games they should have won, and for the confidence of this entire roster -- they desperately need a win with these new players. They're 19-23. Here's the playoff picture:

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">1 Dallas 35 8 .814 - 19-3 16-5 23-6 8-2 100.0 92.7 +7.3 Won 8 9-1
    2 Phoenix 33 8 .805 1 19-3 14-5 16-7 6-2 111.9 102.6 +9.3 Won 14 10-0
    3 San Antonio 30 13 .698 5 15-7 15-6 19-8 7-3 98.7 90.5 +8.1 Won 3 7-3
    4 Utah 28 14 .667 6 ? 15-4 13-10 17-8 5-2 101.6 98.8 +2.8 Won 4 5-5
    5 LA Lakers 27 15 .643 7 ? 19-4 8-11 17-9 6-0 104.8 103.1 +1.7 Won 1 6-4
    6 Houston 25 16 .610 9 13-5 12-11 13-14 5-3 96.0 91.2 +4.9 Lost 3 6-4
    7 Denver 22 17 .564 11 12-10 10-7 9-11 4-2 105.9 103.4 +2.5 Won 5 6-4
    8 Minnesota 20 20 .500 13 ? 12-8 8-12 11-12 4-3 95.6 96.7 -1.1 Lost 4 5-5
    LA Clippers 20 21 .488 14 15-7 5-14 13-16 3-5 96.6 97.6 -1.0 Won 3 6-4
    Golden State 19 23 .452 15 ? 15-8 4-15 13-15 3-7 105.4 106.8 -1.4 Lost 3 3-7
    Sacramento 16 23 .410 17 11-11 5-12 8-15 2-6 99.7 100.8 -1.1 Won 1 2-8
    Portland 17 25 .405 17 ? 10-12 7-13 10-13 2-3 92.5 96.8 -4.3 Won 1 4-6
    NO/Oklahoma City 16 24 .400 17 ? 10-10 6-14 7-17 2-6 90.7 94.8 -4.1 Lost 1 4-6
    Seattle 16 26 .381 18 ? 12-10 4-16 6-16 1-6 100.1 102.0 -1.9 Lost 1 3-7
    Memphis 10 32 .238 24 ? 8-13 2-19 4-19 0-8 98.7 103.8 -5.1 Lost 2 3-7</div>

They lose tonight, they fall 5 games below %.500. From there, the other sharks at the bottom of the pool swallow them up. Of course mathematically NO ONE will be out of it, even Memphis, lol, for a while. But IMO, the Warriors must win tonight if they plan on capturing the 8th seed.

15. Legacy

Legacy Beast

Here's the preview I made for the Nets' forum.

<div align="center">[​IMG]

16. Clif25

I am not sure how Minnesota reacts to their coaching change. But I believe Cassell is back starting for the Clippers which seems to be the way that team wins, which is what they have been doing. With the top seven being almost a lock for the playoffs with Denver's addition of Allen Iverson, there is going to be a big fight for the eigth spot. So this is more reason I think they need to win this game like AlleyOop was saying. Oh yeah, Baron is Boom, at least to Al...

17. trg_tony

keep them from getting double digit offensive rebounding and we should be fine. they simply cannot keep up with our run game, if we stick with it throghout the game we should blow them out. [​IMG]

18. REREM

REREM JBB JustBBall Member

I still have no sense of what we get any game with Harrington-Jackson. I guess we were not aiming for consistancy in the deal. We DO need rebounding from someone besides Biedrins.

19. AlleyOop

<div class="quote_poster">REREM Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I still have no sense of what we get any game with Harrington-Jackson. I guess we were not aiming for consistancy in the deal. We DO need rebounding from someone besides Biedrins.</div>

Well, they've only played two games, so that's a pretty small sample-size. It's going to take time -- a month -- for anyone (even Nellie, and heck the players themselves) to know exactly how they fit into the puzzle and what they need to bring consistently.

I would caution against writing Harrington off as a rebounder. After all, Harrington is averaging just as many rebounds (6.3 rpg) as Murphy, while averaging almost twice as many points (16.2 vs. 8.9 ppg). Those aren't traditional "big-man" rebounding numbers - we'd like to see it up closer to 8 or 8.5 or higher. But that's still a pretty decent clip for a big-man who can also sprint the floor, dribble the ball and run the fast break, finish in traffic, and create his own shot in the paint. Oh, and shoot 46% from three, good for 4th in the league. Here's Murph vs. Al:

Al Harrington
    Golden State Warriors
    Position: F-C
    Height: 6-9 Weight: 245
    High School : St. Patrick's HS (NJ)
    Player file | Team stats
    2006-07 Statistics
    PPG 16.2
    RPG 6.3
    APG 1.5
    SPG .82
    BPG .29
    FG% .455
    FT% .722
    3P% .460
    MPG 33.9

Troy Murphy
    Indiana Pacers
    Position: F
    Height: 6-11 Weight: 245
    College : Notre Dame
    Player file | Team stats
    2006-07 Statistics
    PPG 8.9
    RPG 6.3
    APG 2.3
    SPG .86
    BPG .68
    FG% .447
    FT% .681
    3P% .365
    MPG 25.9

Granted Al has gotten 8 more minutes than Murph per game, but he's put up nearly twice the points, with better FG%, FT%, 3PT%.

I still think the Warriors would benefit from trading for a legit, 6' 11" power forward who bangs, blocks shots, and rebounds, even if they don't score much. Then either slide Harrington to the SF or make him the 6th man off the bench.

But as is, give Harrington some time to get consistent. I think he could put up decent defensive / rebounding efforts while scoring much better than anyone else we've had at that position in quite a while.

20. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    <div class="quote_poster">REREM Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I still have no sense of what we get any game with Harrington-Jackson. I guess we were not aiming for consistancy in the deal. We DO need rebounding from someone besides Biedrins.</div>

Yeah, who stuck Willem Dafoe in the Warriors starting lineup?

[​IMG]

AL said he would have to do something about his ONE rebound after last game. We will have to see. Still, I thought MP would've started tonight based on his performance. This could be another new starting lineup. I can't keep track.