New England Patriots vs Buffalo Bills Game Thread

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by CelticKing, Sep 21, 2007.

1. CelticKing

CelticKing The Green Monster

[​IMG]</p>

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS (2-0) vs BUFFALO BILLS (0-2)
    Sunday, September 23, 2007
    Gillette Stadium (68,756) -- 1:00 p.m. EDT
    </p>

<span class="Title"><span class="TitleHeader">Patriots play Bills in AFC East tilt in Foxborough</span></span> </p>

The Patriots return to AFC East divisional play this weekend, hosting the Buffalo Bills on Sunday afternoon at Gillette Stadium. New England has begun the 2007 season with back-to-back victories and will seek to start the season with a 3-0 record for just the seventh time in the franchise's 48-year history and for the first time since 2004.</p>

New England currently holds a seven-game winning streak over the Bills, and has defeated Buffalo in Foxborough in six consecutive seasons dating back to 2001. The Patriots own a 30-9 record since 2001 against divisional opponents, compiling the best such record in the NFL over that span. The Patriots are 20-4 in their last 24 games against AFC East teams, a run that dates back to 2003. This week's game marks the Patriots' second consecutive home game, but it will be followed by a stretch of three road contests in four weeks, beginning with a Monday night game in Cincinnati on Oct. 1.</p>

EARLY-SEASON SUCCESS
    Through two games, the Patriots are at or near the top of the NFL in a number of major statistical categories. The New England defense is the top-rated unit in the NFL, allowing a league-low 428 total net yards, while the Patriots offense is second in the league rankings, gaining 838 yards (Denver, 911). On the individual side, Tom Brady leads the NFL with a 134.2 passer rating and a completion rate of 79.7 percent (47-59). Randy Moss is tied for the league lead with 17 receptions and ranks second in the NFL with 288 receiving yards. With a pair of 38-14 victories, the Patriots own a point differential of +48, the second best in the league so far.</p>

BROADCAST INFORMATION </p>

TELEVISION: This week's game will be broadcast by CBS. The game can be seen in Boston on WBZ-TV Channel 4. Kevin Harlan will handle play-by-play duties and Rich Gannon will provide analysis. </p>

RADIO: WBCN 104.1 FM is the flagship station for the Patriots Rock Radio Network. A complete listing of the network's 33 stations can be <span>found here</span>. Play-by-play broadcaster Gil Santos is in his 31st season as the voice of the Patriots and will call the action along with Patriots Hall of Famer Gino Cappelletti. Santos and Cappelletti are celebrating their 24th season as a tandem. </p>

NATIONAL RADIO: The game will be broadcast to a national radio audience by the Sports USA Radio Network. Howard David will handle play-by-play, Tim Pernetti will provide analysis and Tony Graziani will report from the sidelines. </p>

SERIES HISTORY
    This week, the Patriots and Bills will meet for the 94th time since the series between the AFC East rivals began in 1960. The Patriots lead the series 53-40, with one tie. The Patriots' 53 wins over Buffalo are their most over any opponent, six more than they own over the New York Jets (47). New England has won seven straight games in the series and has won 12 of its last 13 games against Buffalo dating back to the 2000 season. The Patriots have swept the season series from the Bills in three straight years and have achieved the feat five of the last six years. Last season, the Patriots claimed a 19-17 victory in the season opener at Gillette Stadium on Sept. 10 and later defeated the Bills 28-6 on the road on Oct. 22. The teams have had many memorable matchups over the years, including a five-game span from 1999 to 2001 where four of the five contests were decided in overtime. The Patriots have been successful at home against the Bills in recent years, winning their last six games in Foxborough while compiling a 5-0 overall record at Gillette Stadium.</p>

PATRIOTS - BILLS QUICK HITS </p><ul>[*]With a victory this week, the Patriots would own 13 wins over the Bills in a 14-game span - a feat never before achieved in franchise history against any opponent. [*]The Patriots defense has held the Bills to a touchdown or less in four of the last seven games between the teams. [*]The Patriots have won 12 of their last 13 games against Buffalo and are 19-6 in their last 25 meetings with the Bills. [*]The Patriots have recorded 53 wins over the Bills, the most against any opponent. [*]New England has won seven straight games against Buffalo and has swept the season series in each of the last three seasons. [*]Bill Belichick holds a 12-3 career record against Buffalo, including a 12-2 record as head coach of the Patriots. [*]The Patriots and Bills have played in 19 games decided by three points or fewer since 1972. [*]Since 1993, the two teams have played five overtime games, good for a total of 51:49 of extra time, almost equaling an entire game.[/list]

TOM ON TURF
    Tom Brady has enjoyed significant success on artificial surfaces throughout his career, and the Patriots have won 25 of their 27 games on artificial turf since 2001. </p><ul>[*]Brady has compiled a career record of 25-2 as a starter in games played on artificial surfaces, including regular season and playoff games. His only losses came at Buffalo (09/07/03) and at Indianapolis (01/21/07). [*]In his 27 previous starts on artificial surfaces, Brady has thrown 51 touchdowns and just 21 interceptions. [*]Brady's touchdown-to-interception ratio on artificial surfaces is 2.4-to-1, as opposed to 1.8-to-1 on grass. [*]On artificial surfaces, Brady has compiled a career passer rating of 98.8, compared to an 85.8 career rating on grass.[/list]

CONNECTIONS </p><ul>[*]Bills head coach Dick Jauron is a native of Swampscott, Mass. and was a three-sport standout at Swampscott High, where he was named one of the top 10 Massachusetts prep athletes of the 20th Century by the Boston Globe. [*]Patriots head coach Bill Belichick was the Detroit Lions' assistant special teams coach from 1976-77, while Bills head coach Dick Jauron played safety for Detroit. [*]Dick Jauron was the head coach of the Chicago Bears when Patriots linebacker Rosevelt Colvin played for Chicago from 1999-2002. [*]Bills offensive line coach Jim McNally was the offensive line coach at Boston College from 1975-77. [*]Patriots secondary coach Joel Collier's father, Joe Collier, was the Bills' head coach from 1966-68. [*]Patriots linebacker Junior Seau played at Southern California from 1988-89 while Bills assistant head coach/special teams Bobby April was the Trojans' secondary/kicking coach. [*]Patriots assistant strength and conditioning coach Don Davis played for the St. Louis Rams from 2001-02 when Bills linebackers coach Matt Sheldon was the Rams' defensive assistant/quality control. [*]Bills wide receiver Josh Reed and tight end Robert Royal were both four-year teammates of Patriots defensive end Jarvis Green at LSU. [*]Patriots offensive lineman Ryan O'Callaghan blocked for Bills running back Marshawn Lynch at the University of California for two seasons from 2004-05. [*]Bills running back Anthony Thomas was a teammate of Patriots quarterback Tom Brady at Michigan from 1997-99. [*]Patriots tight end David Thomas was a teammate of Bills offensive lineman Derrick Dockery at the University of Texas in 2002. [*]Patriots cornerback Asante Samuel and Bills tight end Michael Gaines were teammates at Central Florida from 2000-2002. [*]Patriots defensive lineman Vince Wilfork played three seasons at the University of Miami (2001-2003) with Bills wide receiver Roscoe Parrish, including the Hurricanes' National Championship season in 2001. [*]Patriots offensive lineman Russ Hochstein and Bills defensive end Chris Kelsay played together at the University of Nebraska from 1998-2000. [*]Patriots wide receiver Donte Stallworth, wide receiver Kelley Washington and safety Rashad Baker were all teammates of Bills cornerback Jabari Greer at the University of Tennessee in 2001. Baker and Greer started in the same defensive backfield for the Volunteers for three seasons from 2001-03. [*]Seven current Patriots and Bills played college football at Louisiana State University. They are Patriots running back Kevin Faulk (1995-1998), cornerback Randall Gay (2000-03), defensive lineman Jarvis Green (1998-2001) and linebacker Eric Alexander (2000-2003) and Bills tight end Robert Royal (1997-2001), wide receiver Josh Reed (1998-2001) and defensive tackle Kyle Williams (2002-2005). [*]Patriots tight ends coach Pete Mangurian was an offensive assistant for the Atlanta Falcons in 1997, when Bills defensive line coach Bill Kollar was Atlanta's defensive line coach. [*]Bills strength and conditioning coordinator John Allaire graduated from Springfield (Mass.) College.[/list]

</p>

RARE FEAT: 3-0
    The Patriots will attempt to begin the season with three consecutive victories for the first time since 2004. New England has begun the season 3-0 just six times in the franchise's 47-year history, but has achieved the feat four times since Robert Kraft purchased the team in 1994. The Patriots have started with a 3-0 record in 2004, 2002, 1999, 1997, 1974 and 1964.</p>

</p>

</p>

2. CelticKing

I think everyone expects the Patriots to beat the Bills. Plus they're home. </p>

I'll say it'll be Pats 31-7 Bills</p>

</p>

Your thoughts? Predictions?</p>

3. Thoth

Thoth Sisyphus in training

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CelticKing)</div><div class='quotemain'>

Your thoughts? Predictions?</p>

</div> </p>

I would not mind 1 bit if the game ended in a 0-0 tie.</p>

</p>

4. CelticKing

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (blackadder)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CelticKing)</div><div class='quotemain'>

Your thoughts? Predictions? </p>

</div> </p>

I would not mind 1 bit if the game ended in a 0-0 tie.</p>

</div></p>

Yea, I wish they had that system in the nfl. (like soccer has)</p>

It would be interesting. </p>

</p>

5. Premier

Premier Member

Regular season NFL games can end in a tie if no team scores during overtime.

6. CelticKing

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Premier)</div><div class='quotemain'>Regular season NFL games can end in a tie if no team scores during overtime.</div></p>

Oh they do? I thought they went to extra overtimes? I didn't know that. </p>

</p>

7. Bearsfan1

Bearsfan1 2 Time Defending FF Champion

I pick the patriots 24 - 14 cuz they cheat

8. CelticKing

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BearsFan1)</div><div class='quotemain'>I pick the patriots 24 - 14 cuz they cheat</div></p>

lol, hey I'm picking the Bears to beat on those Cowboys. [​IMG]</p>

</p>

9. DolfanDale

DolfanDale Active Member

With the Bills getting their butts kicked by the Steelers last week, it's easy to think the Pats will do the same this week. On the other hand, the Bills are 0-2 and everybody is writing them off, so they might come out fighting this week. Having said that, I think the Pats will win, but they might have more on their hands than they think.</p>

10. CelticKing

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CelticKing)</div><div class='quotemain'>

</p>

I'll say it'll be Pats 31-7 Bills </p>

</div></p>

Patriots win, 38 to 7.</p>

So I was a touchdown away from getting it right. [​IMG]</p>

</p>

11. Bearsfan1

Bearsfan1 2 Time Defending FF Champion

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BearsFan1)</div><div class='quotemain'>I pick the patriots 24 - 14 cuz they cheat</div>

</p>I guess they cheat more than i expect

12. Thoth

Thoth Sisyphus in training

I was completely apathetic earlier this week and even more so now.

13. Universe

Universe Hall of Fame

Loseman sucks balls. I do not see why the Bills want to build around him. Every week I hear on the news how this is his year. It isn't..

14. Dark Hero

Dark Hero Can't Tell Me Nothing

Great offence by the Patriots in all three games.

15. CelticKing

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dark Hero)</div><div class='quotemain'>Great offence by the Patriots in all three games.</div>

And it will only get better and better with each game. </p>

Can't wait till we play the Colts. [​IMG]</p>

16. huevonkiller

huevonkiller Change (Deftones)

Student.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CelticKing)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dark Hero)</div><div class='quotemain'>Great offence by the Patriots in all three games.</div>

Can't wait till we play the Colts. [​IMG] </p>

</div></p>

You better worry about @ Cin and @ Dal first, champ.</p>

The Colts offense will be even better when they stop having to play respectable defenses on the road.</p>

</p>

17. CelticKing

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (huevonkiller)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CelticKing)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dark Hero)</div><div class='quotemain'>Great offence by the Patriots in all three games.</div>

</div></p>

The Colts offense will be even better when they stop having to play respectable defenses on the road. </p>

</div></p>

Yea definitely man, I know what you mean. They'll both be hard games to win. (I trust in the pats though)</p>

Dallas I'm not worried that much. </p>

</p>

18. huevonkiller

huevonkiller Change (Deftones)

Student.
    [quote name='CelticKing'][quote name='huevonkiller'][quote name='CelticKing'][quote name='Dark Hero']Great offence by the Patriots in all three games.[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]</p>

The Colts offense will be even better when they stop having to play respectable defenses on the road. </p>

[/QUOTE]</p>

Yea definitely man, I know what you mean. They'll both be hard games to win. (I trust in the pats though)</p>

Dallas I'm not worried that much. </p>

</p> [/QUOTE]

Well, I dislike the NFC as well because they have it easy, but Dallas might be the best team out of that conference. Their offense looks great so far and I'm sure they're much better at home. </p>

19. Dark Hero

Dark Hero Can't Tell Me Nothing

Im looking foward for the Colts Patriots game and also the Cowboys game too i hope the Patriots could win both those games.

20. CelticKing

I'm expecting the Cowboys to lose tonight. Tied game right now 10 pts each.