new york knick post draft press conference

Discussion in 'New York Knicks' started by knicks235, Jun 28, 2003.

1. knicks235

knicks235 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Knicks Post-Draft Press Conference - Jun 27, 2003

The New York Knicks introduced their three selections in the NBA Draft 2003 - number 9 pick Mike Sweetney, number 30 pick Maciej Lampe and number 39 pick Slavko Vranes -- at a Friday afternoon press conference in the lobby of the Theater at Madison Square Garden.
    Scott Layden on Maciej Lampe?s contract situation: I think with the draft being last night, we?re going to continue to talk about these issues and we?ll update you. We have a big summer, we?re going to be very busy and we?ll be working at a lot of issues.

Lampe
    Maciej Lampe on whether he plans on playing for the Knicks this coming season: I would like to come here and play as soon as possible.

Scott Layden on if he feels the three picks will stay with the Knicks: The answer to that question is that we are extremely excited to have drafted these players. We know they are going to be Knicks for a long time. We are excited to get them here as soon as possible.

Scott Layden on his feelings about the draft and how the Knicks did: It was a draft that had some very good players in it. It was great that Mike [Sweetney] was still available at the ninth pick. We just feel with his low post presence both offensively and defensively that he?s going to help the team. Then of course we?re very excited and thrilled with the players in the second round. So yesterday was a good day for this franchise.

Chaney
    Don Chaney on whether Sweetney?s role changes if McDyess is unable to play: Well, naturally, we set out to get bigger. One of our goals was also to get a guy who can play in the low post area. This is an excellent opportunity for Mike and we expect him to come in, work hard, and the same goes for the other rookies. We expect them to develop their games. It?s more of a developing situation. If he [Sweetney] comes along fine and we have an opportunity to play him, we will. It all depends on the circumstances and how fast he develops for us. We hope to have a future with him. There?s a lot to learn. It?s a big step from college to the pros. But he?s one of those kids that learns quickly and we?re ecstatic with the fact we have somebody with post up skills, whose a great defender, blocks shots, and can rebound. We?re really looking forward to having him here.

Don Chaney on if the starting power forward spot is already locked up by the veterans: As always, even though you have established veterans returning; when you go into training camp you go into training camp with positions open and players have to compete for those. So there are no given positions or spots throughout the training camp. My position in training camp is that you earn your spots and everything will be open.

Vranes
    Slavko Vranes on what Yugoslavian players take from NBA players: They learn from the models they see in the league [NBA] because there is a prevailing thinking toward strengthening the body and being ready for an NBA season. That is something I have been working on a lot lately. In your guide it says I am 7?4? 250 lbs. but I am 7?6? 265 lbs. So I?ve been working on it.

Slavko Vranes on whether Yugoslavian coaches shift their thinking as well from watching the NBA: In Yugoslavia, there is a saying that 'the further you are from the basket, the closer you are to the bench'. So I take that to heart.

Sweetney
    Michael Sweetney on whether having three years of college experience will enable him to come in and make an immediate impact on a NBA rotation: Basically I?m just going to have to come in and work hard and earn my position. I have to stay focused. I do think I matured a lot both on and off the court by staying in college for three years.

Michael Sweetney on his changing body throughout his college years: Ever since my senior year of high school I was pretty much out of shape. Every year from my freshman, sophomore, to junior year, I just kept getting in better and better shape. It basically was just changing my diet and having a good workout program.

Layden
    Scott Layden on what impressed him about Michael Sweetney in both his workout and interview: Michael is a typical Georgetown guy. Georgetown has had guys that are really committed to working at their game and Mike is just like that. When he played for Georgetown he just played hard and he was all about helping his team win. I think it was [Ruben] Boutmtje-Boutmje who came in for an interview a few years ago in a coat and tie. During the interview he looked us right in the eye and we had a wonderful interview. When Mike showed up at the interview with a coat and tie, he was equally as impressive. So I think whatever they are doing at Georgetown, they really do a good job of developing players, and it?s a credit to everyone there.

Michael Sweetney on how he plans to handle taller players: A lot of people say I?m too undersized to play the position. But I feel as though if you can play, it doesn?t matter how tall or how short you are. It?s all about getting the job done.

Newest Knicks outside Madison Square Garden
    MSG Photos
    Scott Layden on Maciej Lampe: If you look at what Maciej brings to the team, at his size, and where he is in his development, it's exciting. He measured when he came into the workout at 6?11? ? in stocking feet, so he?s well over 7 feet in sneakers. The other thing that was impressive is that he is 270 lbs. But more than that, what we saw is his willingness to work and commitment to the game and we?re excited about that. If your willing to work, good things will happen. He has great skills for a big man he can step outside and shoot the ball. I know Kevin Wilson our international scout was excited at his skill level and Kevin last night was bouncing off the walls with the potential of drafting these guys [Lampe and Vranes]. We really learned the importance of these second round picks.

Maciej Lampe on if he?ll opt to play for Real Madrid this upcoming season if they offer him more money than the Knicks: I don?t know what they will offer [Knicks] we have to talk to them now and they will make the decision of what will be best for me. And we?ll just see what happens. I would prefer to stay here but if things don?t turn out that way then I have to go back to Europe and play another year.

Maciej Lampe on if he has spoken to Real Madrid: We talked today with them [Real Madrid] and we have to talk to the Knicks today. We?ll just see what happens. We?ll see how I play and how I do. [​IMG]</div>

2. magicfrankie

magicfrankie JBB JustBBall Member

this Vranes guy managed to score 0,7 points and get 1,7 rebounds in 10 minutes of playing time on his Serbia & Montenegro team...
    That's not bad at all for somebody who's 7'6...
    and oh yeah... he shot 5-17.... that's 29%...

3. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">[​IMG]

4. slamduncan21

slamduncan21 JBB JustBBall Member

har har. the whole 03 thing is kinda stupid

5. Kid Canada

Kid Canada JBB Banned Member

dam vranes is huge lampe does nt look much taller than sweetney .