New York Times Writer Defends Rasheed Wallace

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Ice, Dec 18, 2003.

1. Ice

Ice JBB Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting :</div><div class="quote_post">I could do without the racial epithets he used, but in this case the message, and not the messenger's language, is important. Predictably, as Wallace's comments made the rounds, public opinion, processed through the sports news media, came down on him like a ton of bricks. He was called everything from ungrateful to vulgar. More than one commentator made the point that the N.B.A., with eight black coaches and a black owner, was the ultimate meritocracy. On Friday, David Stern, the N.B.A. commissioner, said that "Mr. Wallace's hateful diatribe was ignorant and offensive to all N.B.A. players."

Since when did the commissioner begin speaking for the players? Funny how Stern has the players' best interests at heart ? until labor negotiations roll around. Then Uncle David becomes Ivan the Terrible.

In fact, the cold-blooded firing of Michael Jordan last summer by the Washington Wizards' owner, Abe Pollin, was ignorant and offensive to all N.B.A. players. Jordan, the most revered player in N.B.A. history, was treated like a C.B.A. retread. Wallace's comments, on the other hand, were a much-needed slap in the face for a league whose players have become fat, complacent and devoid of a sense of mission.</div>

Full Story

2. Trail_Blazer76

Trail_Blazer76 JBB JustBBall Member

Great find IceBreaker!

If a New Yorker is supporting Sheed, then there must be some validity to what he was saying. I like how the author didn't let Sheed off the hook fully, this lets the reader know that he isn't biased towards Sheed.

The things that he said about Stern are 100% correct. He has no business speaking for players, just as they shouldn't speak for him.

The mentioning of the MJ situation was a good tactic as well.

3. jbbBlaze

jbbBlaze JBB JustBBall Member

Could Sheed be on his way to NY?...1

4. Trail_Blazer76

Trail_Blazer76 JBB JustBBall Member

I doubt it, but I have heard rumors involving Brain Grant, and Eddie Jones coming in for Sheed and Patterson.