NFC Playoff Picture for Week 14

Discussion in 'NFL General' started by Cowboy71, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Cowboy71

Cowboy71 Dallas Cowboys *********

Every year, there is still a lot of football to be played with four weeks left, and rarely is the playoff picture anywhere near clarity. However, the scheduling is so intriguing that not only is it still mathematically possible that two 7-9 teams can make the playoffs, but it is technically possible that as many as 8 teams could still finish with identical 7-9 records. Unlikely? Of course, but one or two of these teams should get hot and run into the playoffs on a very high note.

Chicago is guaranteed to be in and based on their schedule, they are almost a lock for the top seed. They have a two-game lead over everyone else in the conference and despite the lackluster offense of late, they don?t play anyone else with a winning record until the playoffs.

Seattle is the 8-4 team with the easiest schedule. Since they already have a 3-game lead on the rest of the division, they will be the next to lock up a playoff berth. With San Diego being basically the only power team left on the schedule, this team should hit 10 wins easily.

After these two teams, it gets a little stickier. New Orleans has Dallas, NYG, and Carolina left, so they will have a lot to say about who makes the playoffs and where. With a two-game lead, they should win the division and hit the 10-win mark.

This week?s Dallas-NO game may end up deciding the 3 and 4 seeds. Like NO, Dallas has not easy schedule with Atlanta and Philly following the Saints. Unless the tide turns in Dallas and someone else in the East wins out, Dallas should be playing in January.

After those four, it flat out gets ugly. There are four 6-6 teams and three 5-7. I originally discounted Washington, but since 8-8 would make them dangerously close, and they play teams that are only 25-23, I couldn?t do it. As I said, eight teams can finish 7-9, so here we go.

Washington has to play Philly, NO, St Louis and NYG and win out to have a realistic shot.

San Francisco plays Seattle and Denver yet. That should finish them off.

St Louis is a little better in that they have Chicago and Minnesota, both games they could win.

If Minnesota can put their offense together, they would have as good of a shot as any 5-7 team. They have the Jets to play and then finish with St Louis in a game that will probably be meaningless for both teams.

Those at 6-6 are all weird, streaky teams ? looking like Superbowl contenders one minute and inept the next. This is a coin flip here. One or two are going to get hot.

Atlanta was clicking early but has faltered lately. Vick and his receiving core are inconsistent, but Vick?s playmaking abilities could be scary in the anything-can-happen playoffs. They need their running game to become dominant again to survive. After a TB win, they will face Dallas, Carolina, and Philly to close the season.

Carolinas QB containment was poor last night and if that continues, the Falcons will be bouncing them out of the hunt. Delhomme made a lot of poor decisions too. Maybe the performance of DeAngelo Williams will get them back to a tougher ground / screen pass game. With NYG, Pitt, Atlanta, and NO left, going 3-1 may be tough.

New York made a lot of stupid mistakes in losing to Dallas, but they also looked a lot better in many aspects of the game. A loss at Carolina may kill them though. Philly and NO are also still on the schedule before closing with Washington. They?ll have to play well to make 9-7.

Philly salvaged the season by beating Carolina, but NYG, Dallas, and Atlanta will give them no rest, assuming they survive Washington this week. I see 8-8 at best.

2. Bearsfan1

Bearsfan1 2 Time Defending FF Champion

I think that you can write off every team without 6 wins right now. Thats my opinion. I think chicago seattle, dallas, NO win divisions

Dallas + chicago on byes

carolina and giants are wc teams

3. nflfan04

nflfan04 Dazed and Confused

Call me biased, i see Philly and Giants making Wild Cards. I think everyone agree with the division winners.

I see Eagles handling Vick very well, its in Philly and itll be freezing.

4. porky88

porky88 King of Kings

I think Carolina and Atlanta. The Falcons have a good running game and did look good last week and I think the Panthers could be this year steelers and just go on a win streak.

It's hard to tell though. I see one being at least 8-8.

5. Thoth

Thoth Sisyphus in training

San Diego got their 10th win this past weekend. My brother & I would both like to see SD represent the AFC. I haven't completely ruled out Indy, but, given recent history... Its interesting that few are talking about the Ravens.

Denver will be SOL IMO -- I'm so upset. :crying:

Stick a fork in the Rams IMO. Losing to AZ last weekend doomed them.

Giants, Atl, & Panthers need to catch whatever the Steelers had last year if they have any hope of just making the playoffs.

For the NFC, 2 will go from the South & East, 1 from the North & West IMO. The exact playoff picture probably won't be decided until week 17.

6. J-E-T-S 1083

J-E-T-S 1083 The Original Jets Junkie

ehh the AFC playoff picture is a more interesting topic, better teams better conference and of course the JETS