Nine breakout starts in 07

Discussion in 'NFL General' started by Courtvision, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Courtvision

Courtvision BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Matt Schaub: I've been saying it for a long time. If you give Matt Schaub 16 games, he'll automatically be a top 16 quarterback. The Texans are giving him more than a full season. Houston is giving him $40 million and the keys to the franchise. Schaub is a quick study and has had a great off-season under quarterback guru and Texans coach Gary Kubiak. Schaub gets to work with one of the elite receivers in the game in Andre Johnson. Owen Daniels is an emerging threat at tight end. And the Texans offensive line, while not great, is improved. Schaub will put himself and the Texans on the map with a big season.Jason Peters: The former Arkansas tight end is on the cusp of being one of the best left tackles in the NFL. Peters is an incredible athlete with a wonderful work ethic. He's fortunate to be learning under Bills assistant Jim McNally, one of the great offensive line coaches in the league. Former Buffalo QB Kelly Holcomb told us last week that he thinks Peters will be a regular Pro Bowler starting this season.Chris Canty: The first few seasons for Canty as a pro ball player have been solid. Canty's upside is spectacular. You have to jog the mental rolodex to Canty's junior year at the University of Virginia to remember how explosive he can be. In talking to the Dallas defensive end, he thinks that this will be his breakout season under Wade Phillips. Everyone's talking about the impact Phillips will have on Marcus Spears, but watch Canty become a major disruption to offenses this season.DeAngelo Williams: Panthers guard Mike Wahle says Carolina's young running back is 100 percent healthy and primed for a big season. The numbers that Williams put up in college were eye-popping. Williams is the ideal blend of speed and power and with the Panthers offensive line healed up, and new offensive coordinator Jeff Davidson calling the plays, he'll remind everyone why he was drafted ahead of Joseph Addai in 2006.Demetrius Williams: Last season was a breakout campaign for Mark Clayton. This year, Williams is going to shred his rookie numbers of 22 catches and two touchdowns. Williams became a favorite target of Steve McNair in the vertical passing attack late in the season with his speed, body and hands. The second-year receiver will very much be a factor early on in the, dare we say it, explosive Ravens offense.Mathias Kiwanuka: At first I was against moving this defensive end to linebacker because of his incredible potential at end and injury concerns to Michael Strahan and Justin Tuck. But Tom Coughlin assured me that this plan was hatched in January, not in March or April when the Giants couldn't add talent to the linebacker position via free agency or the draft. From all accounts, Kiwanuka is having a tremendous off-season. The Giants' 2006 first-rounder is too savvy and skilled not to seriously help out.LeRoy Hill: With the incredible talent the Seahawks have at linebacker, it is easy to forget about Hill. But don't let Julian Peterson and Lofa Tatupu overshadow the effectiveness of the third-year pro. Hill registered 7.5 sacks as a rookie out of Clemson. This past year, he was asked to cover more with the signing of Peterson. Hill talked to us about the move last week and said it took him a while to make the adjustment, but felt the second half of the season was a big success. It's that team-first attitude that helps makes Hill ready for a breakout season. Chad Greenway: Remember him? The Vikings' first-round pick in 2006 shattered his knee last August and never played a down. He tells us he is over the injury and running faster than ever. Greenway had a great off-season program, leading teammate Darren Sharper to say you would have never even known he was hurt last year.Reggie Brown: Sure, Brown helped your fantasy team with eight receiving touchdowns last year. This season, he will help out the Eagles even more in reality. The rapport between Brown and Donovan McNabb was really humming when the quarterback got hurt. In two seasons as a pro, Brown has totaled 43 and 46 catches respectively. He'll shatter those numbers this year. Book him for 75 receptions.</div>Source (FOX SPORTS)Also, if David Carr can get some time in Carolina (Which isn't a sure thing) he should be able to put up some good numbers. The Panthers have a much better offensive line, a solid running attack, and a better WR corp than Houston ever did.

2. NFLCone.

NFLCone. NFLC nflcentral.net Graphics Crew

Matt Shaub isn't going to any better than Carr did in Houston, they still have no line or running game.Santonio Holmes is going to have a huge season this year too. I think that he'll have better numbers than Hines in every area except catches.

3. AdropOFvenom

AdropOFvenom BBW Member

I don't think any Quarterback will survive behind the Offensive Line that Houston currently has. Other then that, it's a pretty good list. I can't disagree with any of them.

4. chang

chang NFLC nflcentral.net Member

I don't knokw if Demetrius Williams will get enough PT to be considered a breakout star. He'll be the slot WR but that's it unless Mason or Clayton goes down. Plus don't forget Heap. That's a lot of passes that have to be distributed among 3 starters and the slot.But when he plays, he should have a, dare I say it, Chris Henry impact.

5. AdropOFvenom

AdropOFvenom BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (chang @ Jun 22 2007, 08:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I don't knokw if Demetrius Williams will get enough PT to be considered a breakout star. He'll be the slot WR but that's it unless Mason or Clayton goes down. Plus don't forget Heap. That's a lot of passes that have to be distributed among 3 starters and the slot.But when he plays, he should have a, dare I say it, Chris Henry impact.</div>I know McNair likes Mason as a target, but personally I think he's just about done. Diminishing Skills that really began to show last year. Definately not the same player he was in Tennessee. I think that by the end of the year that both Clayton and Williams will be playing better football then Mason will be. Not sure if Billick has the stones to bench Mason though.

6. Agent Zero

Agent Zero BBW Member

I think McNair is the one who is done. I respect him, the players and coaches obviously respect him, the fans respect him... but he needs to step it out in quarters 1-3. Everytime he made a mistake he was forgiven. When Kyle Boller made a mistake he was yelled at. It's hard to say this but McNair is overrated... as is Brett Favre.As for the list, I don't like Canty being on there. The Cowboys have too much competition there (which is good, but you know what I mean). He never looked too great to me.

7. DevinHester23

DevinHester23 NFLC nflcentral.net Member

Santonio Holmes :beerbang2:It'd be nice to see him break out, hopefully he doesn't get arrested again.

8. Capt. Comeback

Capt. Comeback NFLC nflcentral.net Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The Punisher @ Jun 22 2007, 01:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>as is Brett Favre.</div>Please tell me you are joking. If you're speaking about his recent career, nobody has overrated him at all. We all know he isn't himself anymore, even he does.