Niners' Aldon Smith ready for camp

Discussion in 'San Francisco 49ers' started by truebluefan, Jul 27, 2012.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Aldon Smith wants all San Francisco 49ers fans and teammates to know he's sorry for two off-the-field incidents since last season that threatened to derail his life and career.

In his first public comments since he was stabbed at his home last month, Smith said Friday that "letting everybody down was probably the saddest part." He also was charged in late January with driving under the influence in Miami Beach.

Smith said he had staples inserted to close the stab wounds, and he's now fully recovered and won't miss any time in training camp. He declined to elaborate on the incident or his injuries.

"I just feel after the incidents that happened and the expectations that were set for me, I feel like I let the fans and everybody that looked at me like that down," Smith said before the team's first training camp practice in the afternoon. "It's helped my focus out. I'm really focused more than ever, not to say that I wasn't in the beginning. But I'm focused more than ever and I'm ready to go."

Read more: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8206782/san-francisco-49ers-lb-aldon-smith-sorry-field-incidents