NO Apologies. It’s all in now.

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Schilly, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Schilly

Schilly Well-Known Member

I’m not going to buy into to apologist theories of the deadline being great or anything. I understand why they did what they did and why they didn’t do more. Whatever, today is done now it’s the stretch to the playoffs. Let’s talk about that and this summer because I believe Olshey set himself up to have to go big this summer or fail big. I know many think he has failed already, I disagree completely because most his moves have been dictated by curcumstance and he made the moves he probably should have made. (Summer 2016 debateae but overplayed)... Bygones the past is past.

This summer though I think is going to be a major crossroad for this roster and potentially Neil Olshey. If the teams plugs on and stays in 6-8 range of playoffs it will need to be changed pretty significantly this summer. You could argue it needed to change today but it didn’t. If Mo Harkless continues to play with his head out of his ass the Blazers could move up to top 4 at which point the Blazers can now look at making additions via Trade or MLE... if not there’s no baking time left on this cake.

I think that’s the reality.

2. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

We're pushing with a stack 1/10th of the size of the other guys.

3. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

It's not. Warriors will dominate for two more years at least. Plenty of time left to bake.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  4. ripcityboy

ripcityboy Well-Known Member

self employed
    I still think we should look at a new GM. Obviously, if we make the playoffs it doesn't matter. That's Paul Allen's line in the sand. But if we fail we might be looking at somebody else to take us with the core of players we have.

illmatic99 likes this.
  5. Schilly

Kind of. I fully believe if Mo played they way he did last year we would be in far far better position right now maybe even in 3rd. Are we ready to compete for a title this year? No but assuming Nurkic and Collins continue to get better, Dame and CJ stay on track and Mo returns to last year... give us 2 more years of fine tuning and possibly we aren’t far off.

6. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    I don't have an issue with missing the playoffs if we are just hovering around the #7/8 seed.....that's just cannon fodder. If that is the case, being in the Lottery might be the best thing to happen since this team needs a talent upgrade.

Jade Falcon and blue9 like this.
  7. Schilly

The beauty of that is the team is still young enough to get away with that for this year. And if they continue to be a flatline can flip Dame/CJ for a youth movement built on Nurk and Collins.

Orion Bailey and riverman like this.
  8. riverman

riverman Writing Team

See to me...that's player development..and important because we're not seeing free agents clamour to be here...I think Nurk, Mo, Collins, everybody grows from playoff experience more than pick up games in LA off season

9. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    Normally I would agree with that but Playoff series in the last 4 years doesn't seem to have accomplished much. Also, I don't know what getting blown out by Golden State teaches a player other than they have a long way to go....which they likely already knew.

blue9 likes this.
  10. ripcityboy

ripcityboy Well-Known Member

self employed
    As long as Neil isn't around, I have no problems with that. It doesn't matter if you threaten to cut my ears off and douse whats left in fire ants. I don't want him GM of this team anymore.

jlprk likes this.
  11. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I think it sharpens your defense to play the Warriors in a big way...for Zach Collins, that's priceless...for Pat Connaughton to go against Curry or Mo to go against Durant in a series....it's a school of what you need to do when it's over to get to the next level..it's why Pop plays his bench all regular season...get them into the fire ...rest his starters

Orion Bailey likes this.
  12. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

We've been waiting 40 years... I don't think baking the cake for another couple of decades is going to hurt us any.

barfo

Orion Bailey, BonesJones and riverman like this.
  13. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    "no apologies, it's all in now"...

What is "something HCP said to his wife on their honeymoon"?

14. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    Oh c'mon, if they are so horrible how are they even in the middle of the playoff race?

15. BonesJones

Oh... I didn't know "going all-in" meant pushing for a playoff birth.

We're 1.5 games ahead of 9th, after playing a very easy schedule while getting lucky enough to have many teams missing their best or 2nd best player. I could see us finishing below .500 and missing the playoffs.

I mean, we needed OT to beat the Charlotte Hornets at home after 3 days off... I feel a loss in Sacremento coming tomorrow. If the team wins 2 out of the next 3 (we'll lose to GSW), I guess we'll be okay going into the ASB with a 32-26 record... But that's still the quality of a .500 team given the schedule/luck we've had.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  16. BonesJones

Connaughton is never going to be a plus defender... He doesn't have the tools. I don't understand how getting burned by Curry is going to help Pat gain some lateral quickness and teach him not to shield his chest with his arm when a defender is driving, thus committing a foul.

Moe's played in multiple playoff series, including last year against Durant. Hasn't helped him whatsoever.

17. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I don't buy that a player isn't going to be better....let's start there...Connaughton is making a lot of progress as a defender and he's way stronger than Curry..Pat is an athlete...you think Mo playing in the playoffs hasn't helped him? It's why he got paid...not buying your line of thinking at all

RickyJoe likes this.
  18. BonesJones

Do you seriously think Moe's defense is better than it was two years ago? It's not. His DRtg this year is 107. Last year's was 110. Year before was 108. That improvement is due to the teams overall improvement, not his.

Pat's an athlete because of his arm and vertical jump. Lateral quickness is not a strength of his at all, so saying that he'll improve in that area because he can throw far and jump high is illogical. Pat also doesn't have the instincts required to be a good defender, which can't really be taught, especially not with Curry burning Pat in the playoffs.

19. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I think he's young...they are both young and apparently the coaching staff has stiff competition for minutes now...I think Pat has good instincts...and I think it can be taught...and Curry burns everybody so what's the difference...you want the challenge as a young newcomer in the league which he is...there just isn't a quick fix championship team in Portland yet...but development is what we have to bank on for now..it's actually fun to see players make the leap...Batum did it ..I remember his rookie and sophomore seasons...not everybody is an impact player out of the draft

20. BonesJones

What about his defense makes you think he has good instincts...?

Batum had a high ceiling. C.J. had a high ceiling. Right now, we're banking on development from low-ceiling guys.. And that makes sense to you?

Propagandist likes this.