No JO?

Discussion in 'Los Angeles Lakers' started by The Legend, Jul 25, 2007.

1. The Legend

The Legend Legend of JBB..

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">About a month ago, Indiana Pacers' forward Jermaine O'Neal was the subject of extensive trade rumors. Since then, the rumors have died down.

Pacers' president, Larry Bird, did not say O'Neal would definitely return to the team next season. But he reiterated what he said last month, that he hopes the six-time All-Star will be wearing a Pacers uniform next season.

"I've said it all along ? I hope so," Bird said. "I look forward to having him back in the mix. When he gets double-teamed, we're going to have players out there that can hit the shot now,"</div>

Read More

2. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

After so long, I've given up on this now. I don't expect this to happen, and I honestly don't expect the Lakers to do anything else this offseason. I'm thinking the Fisher, Mihm and Walton signings are about all they're doing. I honestly don't see how the team improved. I guess we'll just have to wait it out, but as of now, I still don't see us as much more than a 2nd round team.

3. Really Lost One

Really Lost One Suspended

What a disappointing offseason....

Expect Kobe to demand a trade by the trade deadline, and expect for him to be dealt next offseason. This management is a joke. All talk. Coming into the offseason, they were talking about how they were going to shake up the roster, how we wouldn't come into next season with the same lineups and etc. The only thing they've done is sign an old point guard who plays no defense with the MLE, and draft a 3 projects in the draft. It sucks for us to continue wasting Kobe's prime, but whatever.

4. bacon smeller

bacon smeller The Baconater

This offseason does suck I was hoping that the Lakers were going to do something good this offseason in order for the Lakers to be a championship contenders.

5. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

Honestly, I can't be that critical. I actually liked our draft and I think Crittenton can come in and produce immediately next year off the bench. He seems like he's got all the tools to be a great player in the league. He's got great size at the point, he's a great athlete and he's got a more reliable shot than Farmar. I full expect him to at least get a few starts along the way, just to see how he responds.

The one thing I did like is the fact that we got Mihm back. He does help our biggest weakness from last season, the frontcourt. I think a trio of Brown/Mihm/Bynum could actually be a relatively strong center rotation.

Plus, would JO honestly improve this team? Sure, he adds some much needed defense, but what else? His offensive game is vastly overrated. He shoots one of the lowest percentages out of all the 4/5s in the league. I think keeping Odom is actually better for the team. He knows the in's and out's of the triangle now and his game is much more versatile than JO's. The only issue I have with him is he just doesn't have the killer instinct to be the 2nd scorer the Lakers need. Due to that, he lacks consistency, which has consistently hurt the Lakers in the past.

Right now, I won't make a judgement on our team. We were a top four team out West last year before injuries killed us. I do think we have improved this offseason, just not by leaps and bounds like we were led to expect. The Fisher signing, I think, is at least an upgrade over Smush. While his defense isn't what it used to be, it's still better than Smush. Plus, he knows how to run this offense. He knows his role in the offense and should do it much better than Smush. Bringing back Mihm and Walton was solid as well. Walton is a smart player that's perfect for this offense and Mihm gives us the much needed depth at the center we needed, assuming he can stay healthy.

I think this team can be better than a lot of us are expecting. Like I said, we were a top four team last year before injuries killed us. I realize that a lot of teams have improved this offseason, but I do think we can still make an impact out West and maybe even contend for the 4th or 5th seed. We just need to stay healthy.

6. Really Lost One

<div class="quote_poster">Moo2K4 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Honestly, I can't be that critical. I actually liked our draft and I think Crittenton can come in and produce immediately next year off the bench. He seems like he's got all the tools to be a great player in the league. He's got great size at the point, he's a great athlete and he's got a more reliable shot than Farmar. I full expect him to at least get a few starts along the way, just to see how he responds.

The one thing I did like is the fact that we got Mihm back. He does help our biggest weakness from last season, the frontcourt. I think a trio of Brown/Mihm/Bynum could actually be a relatively strong center rotation.

Plus, would JO honestly improve this team? Sure, he adds some much needed defense, but what else? His offensive game is vastly overrated. He shoots one of the lowest percentages out of all the 4/5s in the league. I think keeping Odom is actually better for the team. He knows the in's and out's of the triangle now and his game is much more versatile than JO's. The only issue I have with him is he just doesn't have the killer instinct to be the 2nd scorer the Lakers need. Due to that, he lacks consistency, which has consistently hurt the Lakers in the past.

Right now, I won't make a judgement on our team. We were a top four team out West last year before injuries killed us. I do think we have improved this offseason, just not by leaps and bounds like we were led to expect. The Fisher signing, I think, is at least an upgrade over Smush. While his defense isn't what it used to be, it's still better than Smush. Plus, he knows how to run this offense. He knows his role in the offense and should do it much better than Smush. Bringing back Mihm and Walton was solid as well. Walton is a smart player that's perfect for this offense and Mihm gives us the much needed depth at the center we needed, assuming he can stay healthy.

I think this team can be better than a lot of us are expecting. Like I said, we were a top four team last year before injuries killed us. I realize that a lot of teams have improved this offseason, but I do think we can still make an impact out West and maybe even contend for the 4th or 5th seed. We just need to stay healthy.</div>

That's the thing, injuries. Who's to say the same exact thing won't happen again this season? Lamar Odom is extremely injury prone, I wouldn't be surprised if he misses 20 games. Kwame Brown is almost certain to come down with an injury. Luke Walton has glass ankles, and who's to say Chris Mihm won't get injured again? Also, one of the reasons for last season's quick start IMO, was the heavy home schedule we began with. I really don't feel any optimism about this team next season, it's just disappointing. But I'm going to take whatever happens. Let's hope what you said will come true, and hopefully we can have a successful season. Hopefully everyone stays reletively healthy, and Lamar Odom plays the way he played before his injury last season.

7. Bobcats

Bobcats JBB JustBBall Member

Injuries won't be the excuse this year. The West has gotten even stronger and the Lakers havn't improved that much at all. Kobe's gone by the trade deadline; next off-season at the latest if anything else doesn't happen in the next month.

8. Bobcats

Bobcats JBB JustBBall Member

Kobe's gone by the trade deadline; next off-season at the latest if anything else doesn't happen in the next month.

9. ChicagoSportsFan

ChicagoSportsFan JBB JustBBall Rookie Team

Time to rebuild. they have to find a way to trade Kobe so that they can have a clean slate. They had the 2 best players in the league won a few chips now its time for a new era.

10. Really Lost One

<div class="quote_poster">Bobcats Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Injuries won't be the excuse this year. The West has gotten even stronger and the Lakers havn't improved that much at all. Kobe's gone by the trade deadline; next off-season at the latest if anything else doesn't happen in the next month.</div>

[​IMG] Well said

I really don't know how far we can continue on blaming the injuries. A lot of teams last season had tons of injury problems as well. One of them being the Hornets, who could have been playoff contenders if not for all the injuries. If they get everyone back healthy next season, they'll be a talented ball club as well, and will most likely be contending for the 8th or 7th seed (the seeds we'll be contending for). They've got tons of talent on the roster: Chris Paul, Peja, David West, Tyson Chandler, and the addition of Morris Peterson. The Clippers also vastly underachieved last season, and I expect to see them back in the playoff hunt next season. I really wouldn't be at all surprised if the Lakers don't even make the playoffs. All of the teams above us have made upgrades (from free agents or draft), most noticibly the Rockets. We're an 8th or 7th seed at best (first round elimination), or maybe not even in the playoffs. Kobe's as good as gone next season if we don't make any upgrades. If we don't see a Kobe trade next season, expect him to opt out if no upgrades are made

11. The One & Only

The One & Only JBB The Orlando Tragic

<div class="quote_poster">michiganave17 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Time to rebuild. they have to find a way to trade Kobe so that they can have a clean slate. They had the 2 best players in the league won a few chips now its time for a new era.</div>

I really don't want to think about rebuilding. I don't we'll be able to get to a level that Seattle and Portland are doing. Imagine just how deadly those teams are going to be in a couple years. I don't think we'd have nearly enough talent to match that. Jarvis and Bynum doesn't sound as intimidating as a LaMarcus Aldridge, Greg Oden, Brandon Roy, Sergio Rodr?guez, and a Martell Webster future.

12. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Bobcats Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Injuries won't be the excuse this year. The West has gotten even stronger and the Lakers havn't improved that much at all. Kobe's gone by the trade deadline; next off-season at the latest if anything else doesn't happen in the next month.</div>

Why would teams trade for him next off-season when Kobe can simply opt out of his current deal in two seasons?

13. Really Lost One

<div class="quote_poster">shapecity Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Why would teams trade for him next off-season when Kobe can simply opt out of his current deal in two seasons?</div>

If a team in the East trades for him, like maybe Chicago, they have a great chance at making the Finals considering how weak the East is. To put into perspective, the Cavaliers made it to the Finals last season. If Kobe is put into a situation where he can win, I doubt he opts out.

14. The Legend

The Legend Legend of JBB..

<div class="quote_poster">Brian Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">If a team in the East trades for him, like maybe Chicago, they have a great chance at making the Finals considering how weak the East is. To put into perspective, the Cavaliers made it to the Finals last season. If Kobe is put into a situation where he can win, I doubt he opts out.</div>

If anywhere he will go to Chicago, but Chicago is not interested in Kobe at all. They do not want to trade up half thier team for Kobe. Although I agree it would mean an automatic Championship appearnce. Kobe is stuck in LA this season. He has a trade clause and he only wants to go to a winning team most likley in the east. Which is basically Chicago. Chicago does not want to part with players we would want, so Kobe will not go anywhere.

15. Shapecity

<div class="quote_poster">Brian Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">If a team in the East trades for him, like maybe Chicago, they have a great chance at making the Finals considering how weak the East is. To put into perspective, the Cavaliers made it to the Finals last season. If Kobe is put into a situation where he can win, I doubt he opts out.</div>

Why would Chicago gut their team for Kobe, when they can spend another season developing their young core, and then recruiting Kobe over without giving anything up?

If Kobe was serious about getting dealt this summer, he would have waived his no-trade clause and allowed the Lakers to discuss with 29 teams instead the 4 of his choice.

This is what pissed people off about Kobe when he came out with his demands, he wanted everything his way. By doing so he sabotaged his own value.

16. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

It's Kobe Bryant, is value can't be sabotaged. Every other star dictates where he goes, there is no reason why Kobe can't have that same right. The Lakers gave him a no trade clause, they put themselves in that situation. Kobe was given that right, he has every right to use it.

The Lakers aren't going to be better than last year, even if healthy. The west has gotten better. Right now, the Lakers are on the playoff bubble..and honestly, I'd put them on the outs looking in.

17. Shapecity

<div class="quote_poster">Mamba Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">It's Kobe Bryant, is value can't be sabotaged. Every other star dictates where he goes, there is no reason why Kobe can't have that same right. The Lakers gave him a no trade clause, they put themselves in that situation. Kobe was given that right, he has every right to use it.

The Lakers aren't going to be better than last year, even if healthy. The west has gotten better. Right now, the Lakers are on the playoff bubble..and honestly, I'd put them on the outs looking in.</div>

He sabotaged his value because every other GM knew he wasn't happy and could low ball the Lakers. Just go through all those various threads about Kobe trade rumors. None of those deals gave the Lakers equal value back for Kobe.

The Lakers learned from the Shaq debacle, you don't show your cards otherwise you lose all leverage. Kobe just jumped the gun (I don't blame him), but in doing so he made it impossible for the Lakers to find a reasonable trade for him.

Kobe signed a long term max contract deal, he put himself in this situation. The Lakers have every right <u>not</u> to trade him for the next two seasons.

18. sweetness

sweetness JBB JustBBall Member

i agree with the consensus feeling that this off season has been a waste. we've seen free agents come and go, trade talks breaking down, bad signings etc... imo kobe might get traded when the trade deadline comes, or mitch is out of a job. though we did get rid of smush i'll give management that.

19. themachineneverstops

themachineneverstops JBB JustBBall Member

lakers really need to make a move, or back to the lottery here we go!! they should try to get some good players with trading kwame and farmar!![​IMG]

20. GatorsowntheNCAA

GatorsowntheNCAA Omaha Bound 2010!

<div class="quote_poster">dripi24la Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">lakers really need to make a move, or back to the lottery here we go!! they should try to get some good players with trading kwame and farmar!![​IMG]</div>

What good players can they get for Kwame and Farmar? At best that package will be for a role player with a semi-high salary.