Non-TPMLE

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by e_blazer, Apr 16, 2022.

1. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    So, in the wake of last night’s disaster, it seems to me that the non- taxpayer’s MLE goes up in importance as a means of attracting a solid vet for the bench. I’d love for some of you cap gurus to run through what would be needed in order to be able to use it. Can Simons and Nurk be re-signed, maybe having their deals structured with a favorable first year price, and still get under the tax line? Assuming so, what FA’s would you like to target with it?

2. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    Mo Bamba

BBert likes this.
  3. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Great question. The older I get, and the less brain (literally) I have, the more the cap shit confuses me

Bingo Bango and e_blazer like this.
  4. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

I don't know if someone is getting Mo Bamba for just 6M but if we can that would more than take care of our need for a big man.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2022
  5. blazerkor

Who could we get for a contract that is no more than 3 years and starts at ~6M next season, who would make the biggest impact on our roster? That's the simplified version of it.

Here you can see what players made this last season and what guys are set to make next season which should give anyone an idea what 6M might bring in:
    https://hoopshype.com/salaries/players/

6. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

In all seriousness, they only way to get an impact player in the $6 Mil range is to find an NBA ready player who is still on their rookie deal.

7. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

the non tax payer MLE is more like 10M.

TBpup and e_blazer like this.
  8. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Right, which makes it a really valuable asset. The Blazers will be able to outbid teams that only have the TPMLE available to them, which is most of them.

Scalma and blazerkor like this.
  9. blazerkor

I misunderstood the post and thought that @e_blazer wouldn't think we would use the full MLE and that he would have called it that. The way it stands if we end up at the 8th pick, Ant costs us 25M next season, Nurk costs us 15M next season and we opt in on Hart without cutting or trading anyone else we'll be right around 134M but could be as high as 139M if we move up to #1 at the lottery, the tax is going to be at 149M, so I guess the idea is to give up hope on using that big TPE. That's probably realistic because we don't really have the capitol to take advantage of that anymore. What an absolute clusterfuck Cronin's moves have been.

10. blazerkor

In that case maybe Bamba would be realistic and he'd be a great get but I kinda think the Magic might extend him his qualifying offer and that's more than the MLE but yeah the idea of giving up on the TPE and concentrating on the MLE makes a lot of sense. I do think that Bobby Portis as much as he loves Milwaukee might be able to be lured away from them for a raise of more than 5M. Shit, I don't think the Suns have Jalen Smith's bird rights and that probably means he'll sign for the MLE with someone. He would be a pretty good get.

11. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

especially the ones that have aspirations to contend and would want to sign the same veterans. Dunno who to target though. I’m guessing Ingles will be signed but they don’t need to use the MLE on him do they?

12. Mediocre Man

They have his Bird rights. One of the things Cronin said when he was acquired.

13. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    I'm finding it hard to get enthusiastic about incremental changes.

oldmangrouch and blazerkor like this.
  14. Mediocre Man

It’s what would have happened under Olshey. We’d have an old roster with no cap room and a pick in the late teens. We’d be playing for another week or so until we got swept in round 1, but other than that, even with losing the NO pick, we are in better shape moving forward

BBert, OneSport3 and RR7 like this.
  15. blazerkor

You think we're in better shape moving forward with Dame, Ant, Hart, some mid to early lotto pick, Nurk, Nas, Winslow, the MLE and possibly Ingles (his price might complicate the use of the MLE) than we would have been if we would have had CJ playing instead of Dame last season, raising his trade value and moving forward with Dame, Ant, Nas, what we might have been able to get for CJ after a big season, Nurk, Larry, Norm and possibly a resigned RoCo for less money?

I'm not so sure, I think both of those rotations struggle to make it out of the first round and definitely don't make it out of the second. I guess what we're looking at right now is being a team with old players and young players who has no chance of real contention as apposed to a team with mostly old players and only a couple young players with the same potential. I definitely don't think the moves made this season moved the needle on our potential in the immediate future and really muddy our potential further down the road depending on what we do with Dame's contract situation. So in my opinion we suffered through that tank to end up on the same level with no end to the mediocrity in sight. Just a different group of guys treading water but maybe you're seeing something I'm not because the roster will be more balanced I just don't know if that balance will have enough talent that is peaking at similar times to ever make any real noise in the playoffs.

oldmangrouch and BonesJones like this.
  16. Mediocre Man

While I think they will be mediocre again, at least there is a chance they add the right pieces. Before, there was no chance.

BBert and blazerkor like this.
  17. blazerkor

I don't see it but I was legitimately asking you and I value your opinion in this case just as much as my own because I'm pretty shook at how some of Cronin's plans seem to have backfired so badly. So the fact that you do see a path to contention with Dame leading the team is encouraging even if I'm not there.

18. Mediocre Man

Remember the Seinfeld episode where George forgot his glasses, but could squint well enough to see squirrels, or something, while driving, but Jerry broke it to him that they were mailboxes? That’s how I’m seeing this

BBert and blazerkor like this.
  19. blazerkor

That's hilarious! Whatever glasses I have on today are making everything look like total shit so I'd imagine if your vision is a little off mine probably is too.

20. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

Damian Lillard $42,492,492
    Eric Bledsoe $3,900,000
    Josh Hart $12,960,000
    Justise Winslow $4,097,561
    Nassir Little $4,171,548
    Didi Louzada $1,876,222
    Greg Brown III $1,563,518
    Trendon Watford $1,563,518
    Andrew Nicholson $2,844,429

Jusuf Nurkić $15,000,000
    Anfernee Simons $25,000,000

3rd pick $9,000,000 (7th pick = $6,000,000)

around 125M...now that's for 11 players. If they use the 36th pick they'd be at 126M for 12 players (so then no roster charges)

a vet minimum deal (Eubanks?) would have them close to 128M for 13 players

Full-MLE triggers a hard-cap at the apron, which will be around 155M. They have a 27M margin so obviously if that was the roster, they could afford the full-MLE. But if they used it they'd only be able to leverage 16-17M of that 21M TPE; and they'd lose the 6.5M and 3.3M TPE's

obviously, where their lottery pick lands and what they do with it has a lot of bearing on this. If, heaven forbid, they trade their pick + Bledsoe for Grant, they eliminate 13M from that calculation above but add 20M in salary. So they'd only be able to use a maximum of 10M of the 30M in TPE's they have

so, next it might be worthwhile looking at the impending free agents:

Blake Griffin
    Gary Harris
    Goran Dragić
    Ricky Rubio
    Taurean Prince
    Thaddeus Young
    Joe Ingles
    Robert Covington
    T.J. Warren
    Jeremy Lamb
    Tomáš Satoranský
    Kyle Anderson
    Serge Ibaka
    Tristan Thompson
    Montrezl Harrell
    Derrick Jones Jr.
    Thomas Bryant
    Delon Wright
    Mo Bamba
    Tyus Jones
    Chris Boucher
    Collin Sexton
    Dennis Schröder
    Kevon Looney
    JaVale McGee
    Robin Lopez
    Lou Williams
    Rajon Rondo
    Bruce Brown
    Donte DiVincenzo
    Ish Smith
    Jeff Green
    Jake Layman
    Facundo Campazzo
    Michael Carter-Williams
    Paul Millsap
    E'Twaun Moore
    Markieff Morris
    Trevor Ariza
    Dwight Howard
    Wayne Ellington
    Carmelo Anthony
    Enes Freedom
    Andre Iguodala
    James Johnson
    LaMarcus Aldridge
    Avery Bradley
    Ed Davis
    Hassan Whiteside
    Kent Bazemore
    Austin Rivers
    Andre Drummond
    Victor Oladipo
    Otto Porter Jr.
    Elfrid Payton
    Frank Kaminsky
    Nemanja Bjelica

is there really anybody on that list that would be worth the full-MLE and the loss of options and flexibility that would cause the Blazers? Harrell? Otto Porter? Boucher? Bamba? and of those is there really any of them that Portland could sign for the full-MLE they couldn't sign for the tax-MLE?

oldmangrouch likes this.