Nuggets Sign Earl Boykins....

Discussion in 'Denver Nuggets' started by mike18946, Aug 1, 2003.

1. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

2. Kid Canada

Kid Canada JBB Banned Member

Hes Mr. 4th quarter. He can really get some point off the bench in the matter of no time. Denver went from having no point guards to having two good ones. Reuniting Andre with Earl I think they played in Ceveland together but i could be wrong.

3. txuonline

txuonline JBB Banned Member

yeah and take a look at golden state...they r screwed--no point guard at all!

4. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

No they aren't screwed..they have SPEEDY..

5. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

Golden State is gonna do anything next year. They lost the best player on that team in Gilbert Arenas and who did they get to replace him, Speedy Claxton. Speedy is good, but, nothing compared to Gilbert. Plus, to top it all off, JRich also wants out of there. Man, that team had a bright future, it looks like that bright future may be dimming though.

6. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

GS still have a very good future..just because they lost arenas doesn't mean they have no future...Murphy,jamison,J-rich,Mike D,welsch all good players...that have bright futures....if speedy stays heathly i see him being just as effective as arenas...

7. sunsfan1357

sunsfan1357 JBB JustBBall Member

The Warriors have already begun talks of shipping Richardson. I guess he and Arenas have the same agent and now JRich wants out.

8. purehoops

purehoops JBB KGSource

Speedy isnt as good as Arenas and I personally think its a coin flip with Boykins and Speedy... Speedy might have a slight edge because he is a lil taller... but GS is just going backwards...

9. GatorsowntheNCAA

GatorsowntheNCAA Omaha Bound 2010!

how can u say speedy is almost equal to arenas. there is no way.

10. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

Who said he is equal to arenas? speedy could be as effective as areanas was..as speedy is a true PG...he will be good for starting the warriors fast break..honestly i see them doing just as well next season than this did this past year..

11. GatorsowntheNCAA

GatorsowntheNCAA Omaha Bound 2010!

i don't either. i thought when u said being as effective meaning score the same and pass the same.

12. Vintage

Vintage Defeating Communism...

Boykins is a solid backup PG.

Denver headed into the offseason very weak at both guard positions, especially at point guard.

Now they have added a good starting pg in Andre Miller, a more throwback type PG that passes first.

Boykins can come off the bench and give them solid minutes, and score. Points off the bench.......something that Denver's second unit needs.

Now at SG, they will likely play Carmelo/Rodney. Rodney did a pretty good job there too, for the last part of the season.

But Boykins just solidifies the backup PG spot. And Denver has now turned a weakness into a strength.

Miller(38)/Boykins(10)

Thats how the PG duties will most likely be carried out. Miller in the 35-40 range, Boykins picking up the rest. Boykins will get some PT in the 4th, but don't expect Denver to merely bench Miller in favor of Boykins. Miller got a nice new contract, and Denver will want to play him.....especially with Carmelo, since Miller excells at passing/setting up teammates(as opposed to Boykins as more of a scorer).

13. magicfrankie

magicfrankie JBB JustBBall Member

Denver is looking good next season... may not be a winning season yet, but the future is bright for them!

14. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

Who is editing my title threads? please stop..this is like the 10 time i have seen it...[​IMG] clearly it is some other mod...

15. sunsfan1357

sunsfan1357 JBB JustBBall Member

Allnet, the same thing happened to one of my threads before. It even had the same ending with the ?!. Has to be the same mod that keeps doing it.

16. slamduncan21

slamduncan21 JBB JustBBall Member

odd [​IMG] Boykins to Denver would be good on Denver's part, but he might wanna stay with GS because Musselman actually gave him a chance in the NBA, and he comes across as a loyal guy to me

17. Hunter

Hunter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I really like this move by the Nuggets if they sign him. Sure Earl Boykins is small, but he is extremly talented. He is a great shooter who can really light it up in the clutch of a game. Most players can play a great game throught the first three quarters while playing terrible in the clutch of a game. Boykins however can play great in the 4th and could be labeled as a "clutch" player by some people's standards. I think this would be a really good move for Denver. He would a high quality back-up for Andre.

18. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

Well it's offical now

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The Denver Nuggets have signed free agent guard Earl Boykins to a multi-year contract, General Manager Kiki Vandeweghe announced today. Per team policy, terms of the contract were not released.

Boykins, 5-5, 133, averaged 8.8 ppg and 3.3 apg – both career highs – in 68 games with Golden State last season. He ranked 10th in the NBA in assist-to-turnover ratio (3.03 to 1) and 14th in free-throw percentage (.865). He scored 10 or more points in the fourth quarter of 12 games, in which the Warriors posted a 10-2 record. In addition, he finished seventh in balloting for the NBA’s Sixth Man of the Year Award.</div>

[​IMG]