Nuggets unlikely to make move before NBA trade deadline

Discussion in 'Denver Nuggets' started by truebluefan, Feb 18, 2016.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Nuggets coach Michael Malone doesn't expect his organization to be active in advance of Thursday's 1 p.m. NBA trade deadline.

The Nuggets are in the comfortable position of not having pressure to do anything on that day.

Why not? First, there's nothing to "get over the hump" for. Though they are more open about talking about the playoffs now, that was not the goal coming into the season. They weren't expected to make the postseason, didn't place those expectations on the new coaching staff in the first place and are essentially on the same course.

"I talk with Tim (Connelly). I like our team," Malone said. "Are we built to make the playoffs this year? We're going to make a run at it. I go back to the first day on the job, the first press conference. It was never said this is playoffs or bust. This is 'let's get all of our young players better, let's create a culture, let's give ourselves an identity.' And I think we're seeing all of those things come to fruition."

A run at postseason play remains icing on the cake. There's no reason to give up assets just to slide into one of the bottom couple of spots in the Western Conference. Not when the biggest prizes can be had during the summer and the assets (draft picks, etc.) become better known after the season ends.

- See more at: http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_29530037/nuggets-unlikely-make-move