Nurk Grant Simon's on a Contender?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by SharpesTriumph, Oct 12, 2022.

?

Is it possible for the Blazers to build a contender with Nurk Grant Simon's starting?

1. Yes

21 vote(s)
    48.8%
  2. No

22 vote(s)
    51.2%
  1. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

All three are on large starter money contracts. Can they be 3/5th of a starting lineup for a contender? Why or why not?

2. Cugel

Cugel The epitome of mediocrity

Canvas Repairman
    Not if they are your 2-4 best players. Resigning Nurk was a huge, costly mistake, just looked like he moves at Mach 0 this preseason. Wiseman made him look terrible imho. Ant probably was too and had an awful preseason too. Grant I am ok with. Probably Dame wanted to keep Nurk and Ant...

beast crnjo likes this.
  3. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Sure.... but I don't think Dame/Simons works together.

4. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

you need an option for 'probably not'

Ant and Nurkic needed to be resigned, if for no other reason to have them as trade assets after Jan 15. I was unhappy with the size of the deals, neither player had earned that much of an extension. But it's not an Allen-Crabbe/Evan-Turner debacle

Simons is a different player than CJ, so it's possible it won't be a reprise of the Dame/CJ dysfunction. But Simons is similar enough to CJ to make the concern about the fit with Dame a legitimate one. As soon as Olshey had his ass fired, CJ was headed out the door. He was the only GM in the league that would have been so blinded by his own ego to not see that Dame/CJ had not worked, and would never work. The same for the no-defense Powell as a SF...out the door

what I'm hoping is that Cronin won't be so welded to players that he won't be able to see the need for further change if what is there is not working. And I suspect that while the team will probably work better than many expect, it won't be good enough to hold onto

5. CJ_is_Gone

CJ_is_Gone Well-Known Member

Agreed.
    I think the best role for Ant is a microwave off the bench.
    Nurk is adequate for his role. But in reality - we need a more athletic C (who can shoot from outside) to be a ying/yang with Nurk. I was hoping Portland would snag Christian Wood for that role.

brooklynballer likes this.
  6. stampedehero

stampedehero Make Your Day, a Doobies Day Staff Member Moderator

Part Time Building Inspector
    The key word was "possible".

7. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

Of course these three could start on a contender but one key would be that you have a really good backup for Nurk who both can defend the stretched floor better than Nurk and stretch the floor on offense. If these guys started with Jaylen Brown, Jayson Tatum and had Bobby Portis backing up Nurk with a few other decent bench pieces. That team would likely win the whole thing. So yeah all three can contribute to a contender and do so in the same lineup there's just a lot of conditions that need to be met in order for that to work and we are not meeting those conditions.

8. CJ_is_Gone

CJ_is_Gone Well-Known Member

Grant & Nurk could each individually start for a contender - but they would have to be the #4 or #5 best player. I don't think both of them could be starting on the same team and still be a contender.

Ant is not good enough to be a starter on a contender. He has shown flashes, but he's much more of a Jamal Crawford type 6-man.

9. riverman

riverman Writing Team

ask me around Christmas because they clearly don't know how to play together yet

Idog1976 and Hoopguru like this.
  10. perkinsfor3

perkinsfor3 Well-Known Member

I want to see more of Ant, but Grant and Nurk arent needle movers. Theres a long list of players starting and on benchea Id rather have than those two.

oldmangrouch likes this.
  11. BankTeller

BankTeller Well-Known Member

What makes you so quick to think that about Ant? All signs are showing he can become a good enough to be a star PG on a contender imo. Offensively, he’s going to get even better and in the first real stretch in his career to start, he averaged close to 6 apg. It’s just that we have a star PG already.

Crawford was never the shooter Ant was at any point in his career despite being known as one. Neither was LouWill or abunch of the well known best 6M.

12. bigbailes

bigbailes Well-Known Member

If you had an elite level defensive guy in the 6'6" to 6'10" range that could knock down 3's at a 35-40% clip, than yes I think those other three could be your 3rd-5th starters. To me all three of those guys are high end role players, and I don't think Dame is in his prime where he can be a #1 on a championship team, so this roster either needs a low end #1 guy or a high end #2 to really compete for a title.

STOMP and oldmangrouch like this.
  13. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

Nurk: no way he would start on a contender. Between injuries and his periodic head trips he is too unreliable.

Simons: certainly has a chance to reach that level, but I wouldn't say he is there yet. Revisit the issue after we have had a chance to see a full time player for a full season.

Grant: I honestly don't know. The guy strikes me as being stuck in no-man's-land between being a go-to guy and a blue collar/glue guy.

14. wizenheimer

Grant's best seasons, at least in terms of efficiency and advanced metrics are when he has been a 3rd option

15. Ed O

Ed O Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Add Jordan and Pippen in their prime... sure. It could work.

But there's nothing I can see where you could add two other starters and have a championship-level team.

STOMP, oldmangrouch and Voodoo like this.
  16. Voodoo

Voodoo An American hero

Project Manager
    Yeah this.

17. wizenheimer

tell me how you subtract Dame from the equation and have a championship-level team

18. Ed O

Trade Dame for future assets.

Take your lumps for a few years.

Draft well and get a bit lucky.

That's how you POTENTIALLY get a championship-level team. It's not guaranteed, obviously, but trading for players like Hart and Grant and re-signing your own guys to more money than they'd get anywhere else just buys you mediocrity and irrelevance with little hope for a brighter future. I'll take hope and excitement over slogging through years of building around a guy in the name of loyalty.

19. BankTeller

BankTeller Well-Known Member

What’s the Dame trade out there right now you are dying to jump on?

SharpeScooterShooter likes this.
  20. Ed O

That's a false question. It's not up to me to call GMs and make a trade.

Do you think that we could not get any value for Dame? I would argue almost any value for him would be better than hoping to MAYBE get a 6th seed in the playoffs as we watch our team get older and our contracts get larger, but I don't have anything specific that I know Cronin can propose or accept today.

beast crnjo and oldmangrouch like this.