Oblique kicks -- fair or foul?

Discussion in 'MMA - Mixed Martial Arts' started by speeds, Sep 5, 2021.

?

Should oblique kicks be banned from MMA?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. speeds

speeds $2.50 highball, $1.50 beer Staff Member Administrator GFX Team

After Rountree's victory yesterday there is some chatter among fighters and MMA personalities that oblique kicks are low strategy and should be banned. What say you?

2. valo36

valo36 Active Member

The sport is meant to simulate a fight and to that extent some injuries are bound to happen. We can't keep banning everything that could hurt someone. Otherwise leg kicks, checking leg kicks, leg locks, shoulders from the clinch have all caused damage to the same level as oblique kicks. When would it end?

speeds likes this.
  3. valo36

valo36 Active Member

While we are on the subject of fair and foul, they need to go ahead and legalize the 12-6 elbows as well. Those are no worse than any other elbow.

4. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

I was researching this last night and came across a blurb that said there has been reported incidents in training and such of 12-6 elbows slipping off the forehead and going into people's eyes and blinding them; one of the reasons why they were banned. I'm ok with them being banned.

I'm in the middle on oblique kicks. They're tactical and effective but I don't think anyone should have to risk a career debilitating injury where their knee gets shredded up. I'd be ok if they banned them, but I don't openly and actively think they should be banned. I guess it doesn't matter to me. A lot of fighters seem to want them banned, so I guess I'll side with the fighters with this.