Oden better than DHoward according to Roy

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by 1 Eye Jack, Nov 12, 2008.

1. 1 Eye Jack

1 Eye Jack Well-Known Member

Vice President for Display company
    Take it for what it is, on 95.5 the game Wheels said he was talking to Roy about GO and Roy told him that he thinks GO is lacking confidence right now. He said he's gone against both Howard and GO and GO is better than Howard. Again not sure I agree but none of us have seen him healthy and Roy has played against both so I hope his opinion is right.

2. MrJayremmie

MrJayremmie Well-Known Member

Yeah, i heard that to. I'm still an Oden believer, and he is one of my favorite players... but I don't really see it. But lets hope i'm wrong!

3. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    I don't see any reason why he wouldn't be. He's bigger and stronger than Howard and he possesses similar athleticism.

4. BlazersBlood

BlazersBlood It's flowing within me.

Of course his teammate is going to say that.

Roy says Oden is lacking confidence and then says he's better than Howard. Confidence boost?

5. 1 Eye Jack

1 Eye Jack Well-Known Member

Vice President for Display company
    Maybe, but I doubt it. The problem is we have yet to see the real GO. I believe the closest thing we've seen is when Oden played against Florida in the championship game against two legit NBA players and dominated them. I give it 10-15 games and he starts to get his confidence back. Once that happens look out.

6. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

I understand that Roy wants to prop the kid up, but I bet Nate isn't real happy with him pumping out that kind of bulletin board material.

7. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

At this point Oden isn't an 1/8 of the player Howard is.

Howard is

1. More durable
    2. Better offensively
    3. Better shot blocker
    4. Better rebounder
    5. Has more confidence
    6. More agile
    7. Better passer

The only thing I thnk Greg is better at right now is FT shooting

8. hasoos

hasoos Well-Known Member

Great, way to go. You just compared a guy who has played multiple years to a guy you have seen play 1/2 of a single game and came away with your opinion already made up? How about letting Greg play a little bit before you do that.

9. Mediocre Man

I was right in everything I said. AT THIS POINT Howard is a lot better than Greg.

10. jwhoops11

jwhoops11 Active Member

Interesting, but not even the biggest nugget of info out of that Wheels interview. Oden might be better then Howard, but when Wheels said that Nate had to "talk Oden into coming on the trip" I almost spit out my coffee.

Seriously?

Greg had concerns about coming on the trip thinking that staying back and rehabing was the better idea?

Whatever, hope Greg gets his head right, but right about now I'm a little concerned with the mental aspect of his game and less the physical.

11. oldmangrouch

But isn't that the whole point? How can anybody seriously argue that Penknife is *better* than Howard when he has yet to prove anything on the court?

12. Mediocre Man

Wow, that's sad. You read comments from Greg how badly he wants to play, but then read that. I wonder what the whole story is?

13. oldmangrouch

I don't know if I would read *too* much into that. Sticking to a rehab schedule on the road has got to be tougher than being here with the Blazer staff/facilities. (of course, it also implies he wasn't expecting to be ready to play this soon) :dunno:

14. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

I recall pre-Blazer Greg talking about how he mentally approaches new challenges... I think specifically he was talking about college hoops. The interviewer was saying how there were all these huge expectations of him being compared to Russell and Shaq and how he was going to dominate college ball. Greg said he hears this sort of stuff but can't believe it. (Loosely quoting) "Those college guys are pretty good and they're a lot bigger then the guys I'm used to going against". Of course he went on to dominate those big college guys with only one hand.

Whether it's only his public face or truly how he approaches things, I don't see anything wrong with Greg being humble off the court about his abilities. Once he hits the court and the endorphins start kicking in here's guessing humble goes out the door and ability takes over.

STOMP

15. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

To put it into proper context Wheels said that Greg didn't want his presence to be a distraction to his teammates ... I'm not sure if see how that could be, but if that's where his thinking is at I guess his heart is in the right place even if his head is up his ass.

16. hasoos

hasoos Well-Known Member

Are you? Or are you wrong, with Greg just not having proven you wrong yet. People could have had said the same thing about Michael Jordan until he played a game, and would they have been right? Just remember, a lot of rookies come in and get the shit kicked out of them the first few games. Magic Johnson got 40 dropped on his head twice in the first two nights. It is a career that makes a player, and not half of a game.

17. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

no doubt. Howard may or may not be a better player then Greg, but it's not like Greg's talent doesn't exist until he plays an NBA game. We (like most everyone but guys like Roy who have played against both guys) are in a poor position to compare them but we'll have a better idea of whats what in a week or two.

STOMP

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  18. RoyToy

RoyToy Clown Town

I'm going to have to strongly disagree with Brandon.

19. Ed O

Ed O Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Roy is certainly not unbiased, but he's also played against both GO and Howard on the floor, so he's not commenting from nearly the ignorance level that we are.

Ed O.

20. RoyToy

RoyToy Clown Town

You don't need to play against the players to know who's better . Kevin Pritchard doesn't play against players.

As of right now there's no reason to believe Oden is or will be better than Dwight, and that's no slight to Greg. Dwight Howard is just as rare of talent as Greg is, but he's actually been on the floor.