Oden will miss the rest of summer league because of tonsils problem

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by CB4allstar, Jul 10, 2007.

1. CB4allstar

CB4allstar BBW Global Mod Team

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>LAS VEGAS -- Greg Oden opened his mouth wide as if he were sitting in a dentist's chair on Monday.At the back of his mouth, his tonsils were so swollen that only a small passageway, about the size of a green grape, was evident.Because of the obstructed air passage and the pain that accompanies the swollen tonsils, the Trail Blazers on Monday made a spur-of-the-moment decision: Oden's tonsils need to be removed within the next three or four days, probably ending his involvement in the Trail Blazers' summer league play after just two games.A final decision hasn't been made on the surgery -- Oden said he wants to talk it over with his mother first -- but it appears likely that he will fly to Portland for a tonsillectomy late in the week, immediately after he takes part in a taping of the ESPYs award show in Los Angeles on Wednesday. The team and Oden's camp expect recovery to take about two weeks.If Oden has the surgery, it will end a trying and lesson-filled summer league. He struggled in his debut, scoring six points to go along with two rebounds before being disqualified for committing 10 fouls -- the maximum allowed in summer league. In his second game, Oden was better, finishing with 13 points, five rebounds and four blocks, while amassing nine fouls.All the while, Oden was playing with tonsils that Blazers general manager Kevin Pritchard said were the size of golf balls. Because of that, Oden's breathing was hampered, limiting his stamina."Right now, it's more of a thing that they are so big, that when I'm running up and down the court, it's hard for me to breathe," Oden said Monday after two impressive performances in scrimmages against Denver and the Los Angeles Clippers. "I can't get any air in there."His condition, which also included a sinus infection, clearly affected his play. But all along, Oden solemnly answered questions from the hordes of media covering -- and ultimately criticizing -- his every play. He said he agrees that his tonsils hurt his play, but he added that he never felt the urge to scream and tell the world that he wasn't playing at 100 percent."There's no excuses, because I was out there playing," Oden said. "And if I'm playing, I'm playing, so if I have a bad game, it's not on my tonsils, it's on me. A lot of it is I just have to get used to this game, that's what everyone is telling me."Originally, the Blazers planned to have Oden's tonsils removed after he participated in the U.S. national team minicamp in Las Vegas next week. But even before making the determination late Monday that more immediate action was needed, the team had come to the conclusion that Oden was being stretched in too many directions by media requests and public appearances.he whole process -- the interviews, photo shoots, autograph signings -- had started to take a toll on Oden, whose normally sunny disposition had been replaced in Las Vegas by a sullen, exhausted and robotic persona.His answers to questions by the media became shorter, and void of the witty one-liners he so often pulled off during the predraft hype. And the playful gait he so often walked with -- which sometimes included a dance move or two -- became more like a zombie as he almost mindlessly plodded from one interview to another public appearance to yet another photo shoot."I just . . . I need a rest," Oden said, referring to the interviews and basketball workouts. "That's about it. Just rest, period."Advertisement Pritchard said the Blazers met Monday to address the strains on Oden."We are going to make a conscious effort to make sure he is focused on basketball, and not so much the extracurricular activities," Pritchard said. "That's something we are very, very conscious of. Everybody wants to touch him and have an opportunity to talk to him, but the reality is, he needs to start focusing on basketball. Not that he hasn't been focused; we just want him more focused."On Monday, Oden was indeed focused on basketball as he at times dominated during a series of scrimmages held at Durango High School in Las Vegas. He swatted shots against Denver from the likes of former NBA players Nikoloz Tskitishvili and Jelani McCoy, and was a beast inside on offense against Denver and the Clippers, one time grabbing a hard carom off the rim and dunking it in one powerful motion."My gosh, today especially in the scrimmages, he was as dominant as we have seen him," Pritchard said. "He is getting mad and upset and showing some toughness. Good lord, how much more does he need to show us? I mean, he's not feeling well, and yet he is playing through it."Oden was bashful in rating his play after the two scrimmages, noting that the Blazers played without LaMarcus Aldridge, who was given the day off."LaMarcus wasn't out there to take over, so I had to try and step up and do something offensively," Oden said. "But Joel (Freeland) also stepped up big. But the last game (against the Clippers), I stepped up and did more offensively, and did well."So well, in fact, that Pritchard and the coaching staff determined that they don't need to see anything more. Especially with Oden's tonsils in the shape they are."I was never worried about the way he was playing," Pritchard said. "We have a special kid and a special player. This was about developing, about letting him grow as a player and allowing him to make mistakes in the summer league to get better."And now, Oden's health and mind figure to get better with his tonsillectomy. What will he do with the much-needed time off?"Just relax and clear my mind," Oden said. "I have to get prepared for this season, and the first thing you do is clear your mind, then get rest and get prepared to go at it for 82 games . . . and maybe more."Jason Quick: 503-221-4372; jasonquick@news.oregonian.com To read his Behind the Beat blog, go to http://blog.oregonlive.com/ behindblazersbeat/</div>This sucks. I really wanted to see him play during summer league. It could hurt his development at the start of the year.

2. CelticBalla32

CelticBalla32 Basketball is back in Boston

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CB4AllStar @ Jul 10 2007, 02:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>This sucks. I really wanted to see him play during summer league. It could hurt his development at the start of the year.</div>
    Getting his tonsils removed and sitting out 3 summer league games will effect his development? Oh, please.

3. CB4allstar

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CelticBalla32 @ Jul 10 2007, 03:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Getting his tonsils removed and sitting out 3 summer league games will effect his development? Oh, please.</div>I thought he would miss more than 3 games...But yeah, he might. Early on, I mean. Rookies need as much experience as possible right now. He probably won't be NBA ready by the start of the season. This might hurt his early season development as far as adjusting to better competition.

4. kingjamez

kingjamez BBW VIP

He'll be fine in a few days, and he'll work his ass off to get back to where he was before.. I doubt it'll have any effect on his development.

5. CelticBalla32

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CB4AllStar @ Jul 10 2007, 02:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I thought he would miss more than 3 games...But yeah, he might. Early on, I mean. Rookies need as much experience as possible right now. He probably won't be NBA ready by the start of the season. This might hurt his early season development as far as adjusting to better competition.</div>
    Missing summer league action will not effect his development in the slightest way. Summer league is just a league for guys to get their feet wet and get some game action, but it doesn't have any impact on their futures. He'll go up against better competition in practice and camp than he does in summer league. It is July. Training camp/Preseason starts in October. You think missing summer league action will effect him in any way? Again, please...

6. LAZY

LAZY BBW Elite Member

Shouldnt be too big of a problem. There's always the Pre-Season

7. CB4allstar

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CelticBalla32 @ Jul 10 2007, 03:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Missing summer league action will not effect his development in the slightest way. Summer league is just a league for guys to get their feet wet and get some game action, but it doesn't have any impact on their futures. He'll go up against better competition in practice and camp than he does in summer league. It is July. Training camp/Preseason starts in October. You think missing summer league action will effect him in any way? Again, please...</div>You're missing the point dude. I'm not saying that he's going to have a worser career because he mis missing 3 summer league games. I'm saying that early on he might not have the experience to be great right off the bat. It could take more time for him to get adjusted to the NBA, whereas if he didn't miss these games he'd have more game experience against NBA guys.

8. CelticBalla32

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CB4AllStar @ Jul 10 2007, 02:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>You're missing the point dude. I'm not saying that he's going to have a worser career because he mis missing 3 summer league games. I'm saying that early on he might not have the experience to be great right off the bat. It could take more time for him to get adjusted to the NBA, whereas if he didn't miss these games he'd have more game experience against NBA guys.</div>
    I know exactly what you're saying: "Missing these summer league games could slow him down to begin his NBA career." If Oden never played a summer league game, it would have zero effect on how he plays in October. Come on, CB4. You think Oden playing in a league full on D-League talent is going to help him come October? For the third time, please...

9. CB4allstar

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CelticBalla32 @ Jul 10 2007, 03:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I know exactly what you're saying: "Missing these summer league games could slow him down to begin his NBA career." If Oden never played a summer league game, it would have zero effect on how he plays in October. Come on, CB4. You think Oden playing in a league full on D-League talent is going to help him come October? For the third time, please...</div>Yes, it gives him NBA game experience. Notice that he got 10 fouls in his first game and 9 fouls in his second game. It's better to get over that hump early on so he won't be a foul machine for the first half of the season. If he gets experience, he'll realize sooner that he has to stop reaching on making contact on every play.That's what I mean. He'll get over the rookie humps sooner if he gets more game experience than not.

10. noballer08

noballer08 BBW Elite Member

I don't think it will hurt him, but Summer League is a time to learn parts of the NBA game like the team plays and a time to get adjusted to the rules. Three games could definitely have helped his confidence, especially since everybody is commenting about how his performances have been sub-par, but he'll be a hell of a player either way.

11. BrewCityBuck

BrewCityBuck The guy with 17,000 Posts.

Missing summer-league games means nothing. They are glorified pickup games, Greg Oden knows how to play basketball, this will have no effect on him. Lots of guys skip summer league.

12. Zards

Zards The People's Champ

The guy will be fine, but he had rocky start with adapting to the NBA environment. He'll probably work on aspects of his game that needs to be improved anyways, over the time that he won't be playing.

13. CelticBalla32

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CB4AllStar @ Jul 10 2007, 03:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Yes, it gives him NBA game experience. Notice that he got 10 fouls in his first game and 9 fouls in his second game. It's better to get over that hump early on so he won't be a foul machine for the first half of the season. If he gets experience, he'll realize sooner that he has to stop reaching on making contact on every play.

That's what I mean. He'll get over the rookie humps sooner if he gets more game experience than not.</div>
    Playing summer league ball does not give him NBA game experience. It gives him summer league experience against players that are 20% of the average NBA competition he will be going up against every night. Like I said before, Oden will go up against better competition in practice when he's banging with Joel Przybilla, LaMarcus Aldridge, and Channing Frye.

Playing those two games also will not take away the fact that he fouls too much. It's not like he just discovered he had this problem Friday vs. Boston's summer league team.

14. Memphology

Memphology BBW VIP

Its just his tonsils, in his mouth...which he doesn't use in a game. Hes probably just going to sit out cause his throat will be sore...if it were regular season he would probably be back for the 2nd and 3rd games. Not playing in the summer league wont hurt him at all...theres still training camp and pre-season. Realisticly, the summer league is used to teams to look at the lower end free agents and undrafted free agents. Players like Greg Oden just play in it to get a feel for the NBA game and play against little NBA quality competition...it wont hinder his developement.

15. CB4allstar

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CelticBalla32 @ Jul 10 2007, 07:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Playing summer league ball does not give him NBA game experience. It gives him summer league experience against players that are 20% of the average NBA competition he will be going up against every night. Like I said before, Oden will go up against better competition in practice when he's banging with Joel Przybilla, LaMarcus Aldridge, and Channing Frye.Playing those two games also will not take away the fact that he fouls too much. It's not like he just discovered he had this problem Friday vs. Boston's summer league team.</div>Yeah, but practice still isn't a game situation. Things are different in games. You don't know what the other teams/players are going to do, it's more competetive, etc....I understand what you're saying. I just think it's important to get as much NBA game experience as you can as a rookie.Like I said, Greg still commits a ton of fouls. If he plays in games, he'll get over that quicker. If he just shows up in preseason or in the regular season, that might still be an issue longer than if he'd played in the summer league.<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BluffCityBlue @ Jul 10 2007, 07:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Its just his tonsils, in his mouth...which he doesn't use in a game. Hes probably just going to sit out cause his throat will be sore...if it were regular season he would probably be back for the 2nd and 3rd games. Not playing in the summer league wont hurt him at all...theres still training camp and pre-season. Realisticly, the summer league is used to teams to look at the lower end free agents and undrafted free agents. Players like Greg Oden just play in it to get a feel for the NBA game and play against little NBA quality competition...it wont hinder his developement.</div>It's serious surgery apparently. All sources I've seen are saying that he's going to miss the rest of summer league.

16. CelticBalla32

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CB4AllStar @ Jul 10 2007, 07:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Yeah, but practice still isn't a game situation. Things are different in games. You don't know what the other teams/players are going to do, it's more competetive, etc....

I understand what you're saying. I just think it's important to get as much NBA game experience as you can as a rookie.

Like I said, Greg still commits a ton of fouls. If he plays in games, he'll get over that quicker. If he just shows up in preseason or in the regular season, that might still be an issue longer than if he'd played in the summer league.
    It's serious surgery apparently. All sources I've seen are saying that he's going to miss the rest of summer league.</div>
    Which, by the way, is only 4 more days.

17. CB4allstar

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CelticBalla32 @ Jul 10 2007, 08:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Which, by the way, is only 4 more days.</div>what, summer league? Really?

18. blazerspwnu

blazerspwnu BBW Member

recovering from a tonsilectomy usually takes 2-3 weeks. Odens gonna get it after taping the ESPY's. im suprised he could play in the first place. He also has a sinus infection, so the only airway is through his swollen tonsils. Ouch. get well soon Oden.