Oden's Offense: Wait For It, It Will Come

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Nate4Prez, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Nate4Prez

Nate4Prez . . . .

I have been shocked by both the national and local media talks about Oden's offense. Whether it is Barkley on TNT saying Oden has no offensive weapons except the dunk, or the cool cats at BlazersEdge telling him to shoot 100 shots three times daily, I dont understand what these people were expecting. Besides his above average FT% for a Big Man, Oden has not shown anything that he was going to be a great shooter. Yet, the media is all talking like they were expecting him to average 20 points right outta the gate.

I know his first NBA regular season game was cut short, but Oden looked awful offensively. He couldn't shoot facing the basket, and he doesn't seem to have a hook. Oden didn't have any of these in preseason either, but he still managed to average 10+ points in his limited minutes. What I'm getting at, is that, when Oden is on the floor run the same offense as if Joel was on the floor. Don't feed Oden the ball, don't run plays for him. Let him play down low, get rebounds and play defense. Roy passed the ball into Oden three times in the early part of Tuesday's game, and it either ended with a poor (to be nice to Oden) shot, or him passing it right back. Oden is a rookie, let him play at the NBA game speed for a while before you ask him to take the offense on his shoulders.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not wanting to sound negative about Oden, but he is a rookie, and needs to be treated like one. Of all the players I have seen come into this league, the player I would compare Oden to the most at this stage is Yao Ming. Not that they have similar styles of play in anyway, but Yao struggled immensely his first year but finished the season with 13pts, 8rbs respectively. Now Yao averages 20 and 10, and Oden will certainly do that in his career, but it needs to start by letting him adjust, and letting him capitalize on easy baskets after rebounds and dunks.

(Deep Breath)(Sigh)

I can't wait for Oden to get back on the court, but I would love to see Nate relieve some the pressure by not asking Oden to score. I'm glad the season is here fellow fans, and lets look forward to watching Blazer basketball all weekend! I know it's tough with Oden being, but let's not forget that we are still in much better shape then we were 5 years ago, and much improved over last year.

Go Blazers!

2. C_note

C_note Active Member

I disagree. When they feed him the ball in the post, no matter how bad his shooting is, there is still a considerable threat that he will dominate his man 1v1...some nice footwork/spin moves and he has easy dunks. Of course, this never happens. Why? Because he is instantly doubled/tripled down low. A quick flick of the ball out, a swing pass or two, and we have wide open shots/penetration angles.

It gets the team used to the way they will be playing for the future, Oden will improve because of it, and it actually DOES BENEFIT us presently. So much crying going on about Oden...

3. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Given that he was playing much of the 13 minutes that he played in the Laker game with a sprained foot, I don't think you can take too much out of it as far as his offensive potential goes.

4. sabas4mvp

sabas4mvp Member

Let's be honest... all shaq pretty much did was dunk the shit out of the ball. He was a pretty good center.

5. DaRizzle

DaRizzle BLAKER

:crazy:

6. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    :check:

Barkley pointed to his jump hook falling short. I wonder how Chuck's shot would have looked when he was not yet in basketball shape playing on a sprained foot? Oden's shot is based largely on muscle memory. When he's not getting the same elevation due to additional weight and an injured foot, of course your shot is going be out of whack.

I really hope we sticky some of these Oden threads. At the end of the year, I want to see what the same posters are saying when GO is putting up 16 points, 13 rebounds and 3 blocks a game.

7. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    BTW, for those who complain about GO's range, I've been really impressed by his low post footwork. He doesn't have his quickness back, but he's been able to spin, duck and slide to the hoop with relative ease regardless. Once he gets back his quickness and explosiveness, I don't care how many people you put on him--it will be for naught.

8. SpanishFly

SpanishFly Member

Exactly, he has played just a handful of games and minutes in what? the last 16-18 months? and after a half yr or so of college ball he's now trying to adjust to the NBA game, unreal how people think he's gonna be an instant force.