OT Off Duty Cop Shoots, Kills Man At Costco

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by Chris Craig, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

https://www.yahoo.com/news/shooting-inside-california-costco-causes-040403366.html

Off Duty Cop opened fired killing a man and shooting two of his relatives at a Costco in California. Apparently the deceased man and the off duty cop got into an argument and the deceased assaulted the cop who was holding his kid. The cop opened fire, shooting 6-7 shots and killed the man. His two relatives are in critical condition.

It seems the cop was justified here. We shall see. It is unclear if the guy attacked him physically or if deadly force was neccessary.

Hobbesarable likes this.
  2. Hobbesarable

Hobbesarable Cartoon Character

Attacking a person holding a young child is an act of cowardice and it sounds like the father instinctively protected his kid. Waiting for more info before commenting further.

3. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

I am waiting for more info too. Wondering what the whole story is. But, yeah if a guy physically attacked the cop while he was holding his kid it seems warranted.

Jade Falcon and Hobbesarable like this.
  4. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    Witnesses said they saw a man with a Mohawk haircut arguing with someone...

BAN STUPID HAIRCUTS! BAN CULTURAL APPROPRIATION! :tsktsk:

5. jonnyboy

jonnyboy Well-Known Member

Killed one guy and put two others in critical condition? I understand self defense but this seems over the top. Like others said, there isn’t a lot of info yet, but I can’t imagine 3 separate people all willing to attack a person holding a child, sorry. I hate to be the one not willing to give a cop the benefit of the doubt but let’s face it, we all watch the news. I think 9/10 cops will start squeezing the trigger before they risk chipping a fingernail. Again, I hate to be the one to say it, I know there are good cops out there, but yeah. We all watch the news. LAPD to boot, not the greatest track record.

6. EL PRESIDENTE

EL PRESIDENTE Username Retired in Honor of Lanny.

7. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

It seems to me it would be relatively easy to get away from someone attacking you in costco, if the attacker didn't have a weapon.
    Knock some merchandise down, get a shopping cart between you, etc. Shouldn't require spraying the crowd with bullets.

barfo

8. Chris Craig

Orion Bailey and Hobbesarable like this.
  9. EL PRESIDENTE

Depends on the attack. Sparse details out right now.

These autistics can just snap out of nowhere the mood swings can become violent and aggressive.

Jade Falcon and Orion Bailey like this.
  10. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    The facts so far:

The incident, which resulted in shocked shoppers fleeing the store, started when the officer was shopping with his family. “Without provocation, a male unknown to the officer’s family assaulted the officer while the officer was holding his young child,” the statement said. “This attack resulted in the officer firing his weapon, striking the male and two of the male’s family members.”

11. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    We don't know the circumstances so I'm going to reserve judgement.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  12. stampedehero

stampedehero Make Your Day, a Doobies Day Staff Member Moderator

Part Time Building Inspector
    All the (off duty) cop had to do was knee trip and face plant the Father. <<<<UNJUSTIFIED-Meanwhile> A cop shooting six illustrates panic..... The "academy" always trained rookies for close combat tactics. What the cop said and recorded is the key to this Fubar situation.

THE HCP likes this.
  13. Hobbesarable

Hobbesarable Cartoon Character

That's just messed up. Makes you wonder, "What really happened?"

Lanny likes this.
  14. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Newsflash, I don't believe the cop and he's not getting the benefit of the doubt from me.

Costco shooting: Man killed by off-duty officer had an intellectual disability, cousin says

The 32-year-old man shot and killed by an off-duty police officer in a Costco store on Friday night in Corona was nonverbal and had an intellectual disability, according to a family member.

Kenneth French of Riverside lived with his parents and had the mental capacity of a teenager, said his cousin, Rick Shureih, in a phone interview with the Los Angeles Times on Sunday night.

“He was a gentle giant,” Shureih said. “He’s never been violent in the past. He’s always been very cooperative and kept to himself.”

According to Corona police, an off-duty officer with the Los Angeles Police Department was shopping at Costco with his family when he was attacked while holding his young child. Police said the assault was unprovoked and led the officer to fire his weapon, striking French and two of his family members.

The officer’s child was not injured.

Corona police offered no further details about the circumstances leading up to the shooting.

Shureih identified his relatives as Russell and Paola French, Kenneth French’s parents — both of whom were being treated in an intensive care unit Sunday night. Paola French was still in a coma, Shureih said, while Russell French’s condition has improved some since the shooting.

The officer, who has not been identified, suffered minor injuries and was taken to a hospital and then discharged, said Officer Greg Kraft of the LAPD. The officer is assigned to the department’s Southwest Division.

Russell French, 58, has yet to give a public account of the shooting.

Shureih doesn’t know what might have led to the shooting, but he said it’s unlikely that Kenneth French initiated a verbal confrontation. His cousin’s mental condition had declined in recent years, and he no longer spoke.

“It could have been that he bumped into somebody but couldn’t communicate the fact that he was sorry,” Shureih said.

The Frenches dedicated their lives to taking care of their son, Shureih said. He described his aunt and uncle as “the sweetest people in the world.”

In a Facebook post on Sunday morning, Shureih shared a photo of Kenneth French and his parents at Universal Studios.

“Do they look intimidating to you? Did he really have to shoot them all?” Shureih wrote. “I’m posting this picture because the stories on social media have made them out to be the suspects, and the off duty cop the victim.”

Kenneth French could drive and cook himself breakfast and sometimes held down part-time jobs, but was unable to live on his own, Shureih said. He was unsure of Kenneth French’s exact disability.

Immediately after the shooting, police said that two men were in an argument when one pulled out a weapon and fatally shot the other. They said they had detained the shooter inside the store and then taken him to a hospital after he said he was injured.

Later, however, police said no one was in custody and that there had not been an arrest in the case.

Shureih said the family planned to hire a lawyer to advocate on their behalf.

“We need witnesses to come forward. We need to know the shooter’s name. We need to get the surveillance tape from Costco,” Shureih said. “These are things we need to pursue to make sure justice is done.”

15. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

I'm never going to believe the police until I get good evidence. I want video.

16. calvin natt

calvin natt Confeve

Curious what the video shows. I assume Costco has every part of its stores on surveillance

17. PCmor7

PCmor7 Generational Poster

Saying this for years
    Obviously more information to come out. I get the self-defense. But firing multiple shots, resulting in one death and multiple injuries seems excessive. It concerns me that someone trained in the use of firearms but also hand-to-hand combat would resort to deadly force, just on the surface here.

But this brought to mind something more concerning to me, and that is what I perceive to be the increasingly prevalent attitude that guns and deadly force are the cure to everything. I just read a Facebook post that's gone viral this morning about a woman in my area who was approached by a man at Denny's. She said he tried to ask her out and was persistent. When she told him she was married, he sat down elsewhere and had his meal. She felt uncomfortable, finished her meal, and left. Then she wrote that she observed him bolting out of the restaurant like he was looking for something.

Her conclusion was that he was a human trafficker. She also made a point that he appeared to be Middle Eastern (the area in which we live is probably 97 percent or more Caucasian).

She never said anything to the workers at the restaurant. Although she apparently posted this immediately after getting home, she never contacted the police, even after several commenters told her she should. She didn't want to do that.

But it was the comments that really disturbed me. Several of them told her she should have pulled a gun on this guy, that "Smith & Wesson solves this problem." Now, she might have been right, but the odds that she read the situation correctly are pretty slim. The fact that several people advised her to either threaten this guy with a firearm or to actually shoot him with nothing other circumstantial evidence and with other options available is pretty darn scary. She never was in danger, as I read the situation.

VanillaGorilla likes this.
  18. noknobs

noknobs Well-Known Member

This opinion might be premature but it doesn't exactly sound like these victims had a track record for this kind of thing.

From what I'm reading it sounds like this is a case of a person getting into an altercation and losing his temper, and since he had a gun readily available he was able to shoot people. If he didn't have the gun on him it wouldn't have happened. At worse there would have been some punches thrown. Instead, a family is destroyed at Costco.

Yay guns. They're fun.

GriLtCheeZ likes this.
  19. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    Those are not real people posting those comments, they are fake posters paid by the fake news to post hateful and ignorant comments to drum up hate towards conservatives. They inundate the internet and are quite obviously fakes.

20. EL PRESIDENTE

This man was likely autistic, fairly large, and needed constant supervision. They can snap at any time (mood swing) and become aggressive. More information needs to be known.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    Jade Falcon likes this.