Off-Season Ideas & Comments: Official Thread

Discussion in 'Minnesota Timberwolves' started by Pure, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Pure

Pure JBB Graphic Design

Off-Season Ideas & Comments

Instead of making twenty different threads on how we are going to change up our team, let's make this one thread and fill it up.

I think we all know we need roster changes. We need new blood and we need a new coach. Our off-season can pretty much start already, because we are now out of the playoffs.

Anything that you think would help our team, fire away. Who will be our coach, who will stay and who will go, who will we draft?

Let's have some fun with this. I will post my comments later, I'm off to class.

I stickied the thread for you Pure -Henacy

2. CUSA Fan

CUSA Fan JBB JustBBall Member

Indeed, nice idea, this should be stickied.

As for coaching, I think I want Paul Silas.

Cleveland made a horrible move by firing Silas. I don't see any reason on why they should have done that. He asked for a shooter. He wasn't given one, well, besides the drafting of Luke Jackson, who in return injured himself and was out for the season. Silas is not afraid to bench players with attitudes. He did it with Snow in Cleveland. Snow may have been upset, but Silas is the type of coach who won't take crap from anyone. I think that is the type of coach that we need here in Minnesota. Silas contrasts from Flip in a big way. Flip babied players a lot and may have been a bit too soft, but Silas is totally opposite.

As for off-season roster moves, it's obvious, we need a big man. Everyone has been saying it all season long. We need a big man who can help KG in the post. EJ is not doing anything anytime soon, he's only on the downfall with his age. Madsen we can't rely on because he is undersized, though, brings a lot of energy. And we have Kandi, who may have played well under McHale, but isn't a guy we can rely on. I think we need a big, young center who can come in here and make an impact right away.

Our second move, needs to be for a pointguard. We have Hudson, Cassell, and Carter. I think Sam has got to go, while he still has a bit of value in him. We need a young, passing pointguard in here. We have plenty of scorers. We need a pointguard who can distribute the ball. I keep mentiong we need young players, but it's the truth, we need some youth on this team.

3. Pure

Pure JBB Graphic Design

Well this goes hand-in-hand with what Around the Forum is this month. I am competing, so if you want to see my Timberwolves' off-season, check out Around the Forum Ten!

4. CUSA Fan

A couple comments from your prediction for our off-season in ATF. Judging by your prediction of our roster for next season, I see some question marks.

One big one that apealed to me is the center spot. Judging by your prediction, we did not address out needs at the center spot at all. We stay with Olowokandi and Madsen. In my opinion, it got even worse. You may be high on Kandi for next season, but I'm not. We have waited too long for him to breakout and have a good season, and I don't see next season to be any different. So besides Kandi, we have Madsen, who is too undersized to be efficient at the center spot. I would give the 'Wolves an F for not addressing our biggest need if that was the outcome.

Another thing I'm disagreeing with is your view of what we do in the draft. First off, Williams is very likely to go in the top 10, but even if he drops to us, which I doubt it, I think our best choice, would be to pick a center. I don't think their is any doubt about it that we need a center, plain and simple. Another thing I'm not getting is your reasoning on Coppenrath. You say he will come out and make an instant impact, but by your projected depth chart, you have him third behind Garnett and Griffin at the poweforward spot, so how are minutes going to be available to him?

One more thing I'm not agreeing with your view on trading for Miles. You say we need to get rid of some of the cancer here, but Miles isn't a goody goody player, and at times, has caused some turmoil within his team. Yes, Miles is a good, young, athletic player, but I'm not sure if I agree with him coming here.

I don't mean to be debating with you about it, obviously I'm not on ATF, but that's just my opinion.

5. Pure

Pure JBB Graphic Design

I agree with you for the most part. I probably rushed my thoughts and typed them in before I ever thought about it. I really didn't expect to win, I was invited, so I thought I would do it for fun.

6. Porter99

Porter99 JBB JustBBall Member

Coach: Paul Silas, when given a chance he just delivers success IMO.

GM: Rick Sund, he fixed Wally "Willy Wonka" Walkers mess for gods sakes. I live near Seattle I had to LISTEN to that crap daily on KJR.

Objectives
    1. Get Rid of Cassell and Spree to start.
    2. Get a #2 guy that DOESNT mind being the #2
    3. Get more role guys, less stars or we will end up like portland.
    4. Work Ebi out to the point hes comfortable starting.
    5. Get either a pure shooter or a low post presence in the draft.
    6. GET SOME SUPPORT THAT GETS ALONG WITH KG!

7. Linkin

Linkin JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Porter99:</div><div class="quote_post">Objectives
    1. Get Rid of Cassell and Spree to start.
    2. Get a #2 guy that DOESNT mind being the #2
    3. Get more role guys, less stars or we will end up like portland.
    4. Work Ebi out to the point hes comfortable starting.
    5. Get either a pure shooter or a low post presence in the draft.
    6. GET SOME SUPPORT THAT GETS ALONG WITH KG!</div>

It's easy to have objectives but the hard part is meeting them. The team is overcap and that means we won't have much to work with. We could trade players but we don't have that many valuable assets we could use. Wally, Sam, Troy, Olowokandi are all tradeable but not that easy to trade. Wally has the most value right now but his contract might scare away some teams.

Their first priority is to find a coach. I don't like the idea of Silas being coach and Phil will be hard to get. The coach will need to have some NBA coaching experience. Taylor and Mchale don't have any experience in looking for a new coach. That doesn't look good.

After we need a center, maybe we could trade Sam or Troy for one and then draft a PG.

8. CUSA Fan

Linkin, what's your reasoning on not wanting Silas here? Just wondering, because I've developed a liking for him, because he doesn't really take crap from any players, something that contrasts in a big way from Flip.

9. Sabretooth

Sabretooth JBB JustBBall Member

Some of the names that I believe will be free-agents this off-season. I would like to know what you think of them.
    Toni Kukoc
    Earl Watson
    Stromile Swift
    Elden Campbell
    Dikembe Mutombo
    Scott Williams (Cleveland)
    Jeff McInnis
    Wesley Person
    Kevin Willis

I have also posted that I believe that Silas was given a raw deal and think that Kevin Garnett would appreciate him. I believe that Silas can make Garnett better.

10. Pure

Pure JBB Graphic Design

Earl Watson would be a nice pickup if we dump Cassell or Hudson. I don't know how much we can attract a player with the limited cash we have, but we could make a run at it.

11. Linkin

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting CUSA Fan:</div><div class="quote_post">Linkin, what's your reasoning on not wanting Silas here? Just wondering, because I've developed a liking for him, because he doesn't really take crap from any players, something that contrasts in a big way from Flip.</div>

Well, he has had problems and conflicts with his players over his coaching career. That might be because he was too strict or might be because he couldn't relate to his players. The Cavs ex-GM Jim Paxson criticized Silas' ability as a coach and motivator. It might not be entirely his fault but he must be a part of it.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Some of the names that I believe will be free-agents this off-season. I would like to know what you think of them.
    Toni Kukoc
    Earl Watson
    Stromile Swift
    Elden Campbell
    Dikembe Mutombo
    Scott Williams (Cleveland)
    Jeff McInnis
    Wesley Person
    Kevin Willis</div>

Swift might be out of our price range. Dikembe can still block shots but he is getting old. Jeff McInnis was good with the Cavs last year but he has regressed. I think we should target younger players who could stay here for more than a year. We need some consistency in our roster. We need to stop changing it every year.

12. CUSA Fan

Definitely need some youth. We don't need to look at guys like Willis, Dikembe, Person, etc. We need a young center, not another old man here.

And Linkin, I understand he may have had some confrontations with players in his coaching career, but is there really any better coach out there for us? We definitely need a new look coach. Flip, though had great success with us, was pretty soft. Different story with Silas, as I mentioned already. I mean, in Cleveland, it's pretty hard to stay out of confrontations after coaching players such as Miles and Ricky Davis when they were there. They weren't exactly "goody goodies". At times, yes, he may get too strict, but we definitely need a coach that will teach some discipline here.

If only Byron Scott would leave those Hornets down there, and come up here. Then I would be a happy camper.

Another question, will McHale be back, and do you want him to come back?

13. Linkin

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting CUSA Fan:</div><div class="quote_post">And Linkin, I understand he may have had some confrontations with players in his coaching career, but is there really any better coach out there for us? We definitely need a new look coach. Flip, though had great success with us, was pretty soft. Different story with Silas, as I mentioned already. I mean, in Cleveland, it's pretty hard to stay out of confrontations after coaching players such as Miles and Ricky Davis when they were there. They weren't exactly "goody goodies". At times, yes, he may get too strict, but we definitely need a coach that will teach some discipline here.</div>

I don't know any possible coaching candidates but I just don't like the idea of Silas here. I don't have any real reasons for not liking him but I think we should look for some other candidates like experienced assistant coaches. I don't think it was only in Cleveland that he had conflicts with players. I think he might have had some in his last years in Charlotte also but I'm not sure. He also had a confrontation with Snow and got a fine for a comment on Carlos Boozer which isn't good.

What about the idea of Flip returning. It's not implausible.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Another question, will McHale be back, and do you want him to come back?</div>

Taylor has stated he wants McHale back in a article but it's up to him if he wants to stay or not. I wouldn't mind him staying because we already have alot of issues to fix and to look for a replacement for McHale would make matters even worse.

BTW, was this question on if he would be back as the VP of basketball operations? Because that's what I answered to.

14. Pure

Pure JBB Graphic Design

Silas has no room for off the court fiascos. If he is mad at a player, he let's him know it. I think that is the mindset this team needs. McHale brought toughness at the end of the year, I think Silas would do the same.

If we don't lure in Silas, I seriously wouldn't mind seeing McHale on the bench coaching us next year. I think he gets along great with Garnett, and would attract a young forward to come to Minnesota. Reason being, McHale was one of the greater posts to ever play the game. Look what he has done with Garnett, I think another young player would be very lucky to have McHale and Garnett helping you with your game.

15. Linkin

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Pure:</div><div class="quote_post">If we don't lure in Silas, I seriously wouldn't mind seeing McHale on the bench coaching us next year. I think he gets along great with Garnett, and would attract a young forward to come to Minnesota. Reason being, McHale was one of the greater posts to ever play the game. Look what he has done with Garnett, I think another young player would be very lucky to have McHale and Garnett helping you with your game.</div>

Wouldn't he be able to teach the players if he stayed as the VP of basketball operations and not as a coach? He already pratices with players. Taylor wants a coach with experience and McHale doesn't, also he said he wouldn't return as the coach next season. I don't know if he would change his mind.

16. Pure

Pure JBB Graphic Design

Yeah, no matter what position he holds, I think he'll be at the practices. It doesn't matter to me if he is head coach or in the front office. As long as he is there, mentoring the players. I guess I didn't throw that in my most recent post.

17. CUSA Fan

My apologies, fellas, I should have mentioned, do you think he will be back as VP. I think he already announced that he wouldn't be coaching the team next year, am I right? I think I read a quote from somewhere about that. Anyways..as mentioned, I think we should bring him back as VP. Too much is going on right now, to lose him, and have to fill another position. Though, IF McHale comes back, can we expect good things from Kandi? I mean Kandi did progress in the limited time under McHale, so McHale coming back may be our only hopes of Kandi playing good.

18. Pure

Pure JBB Graphic Design

McHale was always there for Olowakandi. I don't think it should take for him becoming the head coach for him to produce. I don't think we can start him next year. We have to trade him or bench him. There is no way he should be on a playoff roster. I know this now.

19. Linkin

I think the biggest issue is our depth next season. We will only have 7 players under contracts next season and with the 1st round draft pick it will only be 8 ( I doubt we will keep the 2nd rounder ). And we would be already over the cap. We have the Midlevel but I think we are going to use it on Eddie. That makes 9. We could use the league minimum on players but that won't get us any decent talent. I think if we trade any players, we need it to be a 2 for 1 kind of situation.

20. CUSA Fan

So I heard on the radio one a possible reason why Silas was fired. The Cavs were in the locker room during a game, and Usher and his crew walk in. Silas yells at Usher, telling him to get out. I don't know if their is truth to the rumor, but how can Silas be yelled at for doing this? Obviously, he does not want any distractions and is serious about the game. Just another reason why I want Silas here.

I still want Silas, but another candidate comes to mind. What about Maurice Cheeks? I mean, with all of the players' troubles and injuries over in Portland, we never really got to see Cheeks at his best. Maybe a possiblity over here? I'm just throwing his name out there to see what you guys think. I still agree on Silas being the best candidate as I mentioned...