Offical Pistons Vs Sixers First Round Thread

Discussion in 'Detroit Pistons' started by Avery, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Avery

Avery JBB IDIOT!! GOSH!!!

2005 NBA Playoffs: Game 1: Philadelphia 76ers @ Detroit Pistons

<font color="White">...........</font>[​IMG]<font color="White">..........................</font>[​IMG]
    <font color="red">Philadelphia 76ers (0-0)</font> @ <font color="blue">Detroit Pistons (0-0)</font>
    Time: 5:30 PM, EST
    Arena: The Palace Of Auburn Hills
    TV: ABC

Season Series: <font color="Red">PHI</font> (1-3), <font color="Blue">DET</font> (3-1)

<font color="red">Philadelphia 76ers Starting Five</font>

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

<font size="1"><font color="Red">PG</font> Allen Iverson
    <font color="Red">SG</font> Andre Iguodala
    <font color="Red">SF</font> Kyle Korver
    <font color="Red">PF</font> Chris Webber
    <font color="Red">C</font> Samuel Dalmbert</font>

<font size="1">Complete Playoff Roster</font>

<font size="1">Head Coach- Jim O'Brien</font>

<font color="blue">Detroit Pistons Starting Five</font>

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

<font size="1"><font color="blue">PG</font> Chauncey Billups
    <font color="blue">SG</font> Richard Hamilton
    <font color="blue">SF</font> Tayshaun Prince
    <font color="blue">PF</font> Rasheed Wallace
    <font color="blue">C</font> Ben Wallace</font>

<font size="1">Complete Playoff Roster</font>

<font size="1">Head Coach- Larry Brown</font>

Regular Season Stat Comparisons

<font color="White">...............................</font><font color="red">Philadelphia 76ers</font><font color="White">...................</font><font color="Blue">Detroit Pistons </font>

Scoring:<font color="White">.....................</font><font size="1">A. Iverson (30.7 PPG)</font><font color="White">...................</font><font size="1">R. Hamilon (18.7 PPG)</font>
    Rebounds:<font color="White">.................</font><font size="1">C. Webber (8.0 RPG)</font><font color="White">....................</font><font size="1">B. Wallace (12.2 RPG)</font>
    Assists:<font color="White">......................</font><font size="1">A. Iverson (8.0 APG)</font><font color="White">....................</font><font size="1">C. Billups (5.8 APG)</font>
    Steals:<font color="White">.......................</font><font size="1">A. Iverson (2.4 SPG)</font><font color="White">.....................</font><font size="1">B. Wallace (1.4 SPG)</font>
    Blocks:<font color="white">......................</font><font size="1">S. Dalembert (1.7 BPG)</font><font color="White">..................</font><font size="1">B. Wallace (2.4 BPG)</font>

Breakdown

<font color="Red">Philadelphia 76ers Backcourt</font>

[​IMG][​IMG]

<font size="1"><font color="Red">PG</font> Allen Iverson
    <font color="Red">SG</font> Andre Iguodala</font>

This is going to be play major dividends in this series. Iverson and Iguodala both have very hard assignments defensively. Iverson is going to have to run around screens all day chasing Hamilton while Iguodala will have to man up against an equally as strong Chauncey Billups. Offensively Iguodala will have to be much more aggressive. During the course of the season he has proved he can knock down his shots, from 18ft shots and from behind thee arc, Iguodala can shoot the ball, however this is his first Playoff game, the atmosphere is different and he may feel the pressure. Thus that is why it will be important or big for that matter if he can hit his shots. Allen Iverson on the other hand needs to change his style of play somewhat against this ball club. Iverson has once referred to the Wallaces as a nightmare in the post, but the fact that he will have trouble in the paint and to add Tayshaun Prince close near by, Iverson is going to have a hard time in this series. Not to mention, the man coaching this Pistons squad is the man that knows Iverson better than anyone in this league, Larry Brown. So what Iverson may have to do, is let Webber run the offense. Iverson needs to move without the ball and in some cases turn into a spot up shooter. Running the offense and driving to the paint and kicking it out won?t be effective for long, and with Webber being such a great passer, the offense should run through him and again Iverson will have to move without the ball and get easy buckets.

<font color="blue">Detroit Pistons Backcourt</font>

[​IMG][​IMG]

<font size="1"><font color="blue">PG</font> Chauncey Billups
    <font color="blue">SG</font> Richard Hamilton</font>

Similar to the 76ers backcourt, Hamilton and Billups won?t have it so easy themselves. While Prince will most likely guard Allen Iverson, on switch ups Hamilton will have to guard Iverson, and that?s where Hamilton needs to step up to the challenge. Defending Iverson will get even harder this time around, knowing that Webber is a great passer and draws a lot of attention, so this time around Hamilton may have to ease up a little on Iverson primarily because Webber is now in the mix. Billups on the other hand needs to play with his speed and smarts. Iguodala has the height advantage and can body Billups when he wants, thus that is why Billups needs to gamble every here and there and go for a steal or just simply force a bad pass.

Offensively they must make Iverson play defense. Billups has the overwhelming strength advantage over Iverson and Hamilton is sneaky enough to get into the paint. So what they must do is get Iverson in the post. Billups must make Iverson work such as posting him up and Hamilton must force himself into the paint which will come with some bumping and grinding and which could eventually draw some fouls.

<font color="Red">Philadelphia 76ers Frontcourt</font>

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

<font size="1"><font color="Red">SF</font> Kyle Korver
    <font color="Red">PF</font> Chris Webber
    <font color="Red">C</font> Samuel Dalmbert</font>

This is where it gets real interesting. This is going to be where the series is decided. Forget about the backcourt it?s all about the frontcourt. Webber, Korver and Dalembert will have to play BIG. Webber returning should serve as some motivation to play on top of his game. Defensively the 76ers frontcourt will have to stay out of foul trouble. We all know about Webber lack of mobility and Wallace beating him off the dribble or just spinning around him will cause Webber to get some cheap fouls. Korver on the other hand will have a hard time stopping Prince from getting into the paint. Over the course of the season Prince has become much more aggressive, and according to his teammates Prince is the MVP of this Pistons team. So expect Prince to try and do some big things thus that is why it will make things that much harder and that much important for the Pistons in order to win the series. And finally you have Samuel Dalembert defending Ben Wallace. Dalembert already has a knack of getting into early foul trouble no matter who he faces, and playing in the Playoffs and defending Ben Wallace will give him a fit. Against the 76ers Ben Wallace often has big offensive games, so Dalembert must man up and not let him score.

Offensively, there won?t be much placed on they?re shoulders (76ers frontcourt). Well at least on Dalembert shoulders for that matter. The offense is going to be mainly Webber, Iverson and Korver. However, before the frontcourt thinks offense, they must think defense, they must find a way to get Korver and Iverson as much shots as they can. They will have a hard time keeping up with Prince and Wallace offensive surges, thus that is why they should leave that in the hands of Iverson and Korver mainly.

<font color="blue">Detroit Pistons Frontcourt</font>

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

<font size="1"><font color="blue">SF</font> Tayshaun Prince
    <font color="blue">PF</font> Rasheed Wallace
    <font color="blue">C</font> Ben Wallace</font>

Again, this is going to be the deciding factor in this series. You can?t stress it enough how important the frontcourt match up will be. From Prince, and the Wallace?s to Webber, Jackson and so on, this is where the series is going to be. Defensively, the Pistons shouldn?t have much trouble at all. Offensively is where they should be concentrated. Like said, the defense is going to be there, but expect the 76ers to try and clamp down on defense. Ben Wallace shouldn?t look to score because the 76ers know against the Pistons every point is important and giving up 15 points Ben Wallace will serve as backbreaker. So the Pistons best bet would be to use Ben as a decoy and leave the offense in Rasheed and Prince hands.

But what should make the Pistons frontcourt really thrive is they?re intensity. We know about the blue collar work ethic and the whole ?going to work? thing, so the Pistons must keep that mindset and play they?re butts of if they want to get the advantage in this match up. The 76ers won 8 out of they?re last 10 heading into this game so they are carrying some momentum and energy so if the Pistons listen to the media as in they?re suppose to win and thole 9, this could hurt the Pistons. Real champions don?t listen to anyone but themselves and the coach. And if they do, they should have no problem what?s so ever.

Player(s) To Watch

<font color="red">Allen Iverson - Philadelphia 76ers</font>

[​IMG]

Iverson has made it clear, that he is ready to play, and despite the fact of Coach Brown knocking him so well, Iverson has also said that he is ready for what ever they bring and will be ready to adjust and be effective at the same time. Heading into this game, forget about the MVP?s (Shaq and Nash), there hasn?t been anyone out there playing better than Iverson. Returning to the Playoffs, playing at an reasonable amount of health and playing against his nemesis, expect Iverson to make a statement in this series. Whether or not that will translate to a win or not, but expect Iverson to lay it on the floor.

Projected Stats: 27 Points , 8 Assists, 4 Rebounds, 3 Steals, 0 Blocks

<u>Keys To The Game</u>

<font color="Red">Philadelphia 76ers</font>

<ul><font color="Red">Playoffs!</font> This is what the 76ers wanted and know that they?re here lets see what they?re capable of doing. In interviews with Iverson, Webber and the rest of the young cast, everyone is anxious to get this thing starting and playing against the Pistons should boost of they?re motivation even more. Nobody expects the 76ers to win, and like the Pistons that?s how the 76ers want it; under the radar and no pressure. And playing with no pressure gives the players more of a loose feel and they can play more comfortably. So as far as comfort level goes, the 76ers should feel real good right about now.[/list]

<ul><font color="Red">Force turnovers </font> Defensively this is the 76ers biggest strength. They ranked #1 at forcing turnovers and #1 at SPG. So they must force the Pistons to cough up the ball and Iguodala and Iverson must play the passing lanes extra well this time around.[/list]

<ul><font color="Red">Perimeter Shooting</font> This is virtually the only team that gives Iverson trouble as far as getting into the paint.. Against this Pistons team he has a history of majority of his points coming from the perimeter. The Wallace's are an intimidating duo and Iverson knows so to. So if Iverson continue to have trouble scoring or getting into the paint for that matter he must rely on his shot and the others guys must be able to knock down their perimeter shots themselves. It pretty obvious if Iverson can't get into the paint, then nobody will get into the paint thus the team perimeter shooting will have to come up big not only in this game but for the entire series..[/list]

<font color="blue">Detroit Pistons</font>

<ul><font color="blue">The Supporting Cast</font> Like every single team in this league, in order to win you must first find a way to slow down Iverson. But wait?there isn?t a way to slow him down. So the Pistons must concentrate on the supporting cast. If anything they should approach this team like the Lakers team they defeated back in the Finals. They should look as Iverson as if he is Shaq and let him do what he has to do, because there is no stopping him, and give Webber the Kobe approach and try to frustrate him here and there but give all the attention to the supporting cast. If they can approach this series in a similar manner this could be a very short series.[/list]

<ul><font color="blue">Play Your Game </font> You?re the reigning champs, so play like it. All the Pistons really have to do is play they?re regular blue collar style of play and things will fall in place from there. This team didn?t make the Playoffs last year and you?re the champs. So just play the Pistons way, the defensive way and things will work out.[/list]

<ul><font color="blue">Stay Healthy </font> The Pistons are already playing with a couple banged up players. Hamilton suffered an eye injury and R. Wallace is playing with a bad hammy. Now while there is nothing you can do to prevent injuries, because injuries are a natural thing, thinking healthy and positive will relish things a little. So they must play loose and freely opposed to playing stiff and text book like.[/list]

Probable Outcome

Pistons 92, 76ers 84

Personal Prediction

If the 76ers want to win this series, they must win the first game. Game one often sets the tone for the entire the season, so the Sixers must realize the importance of this game and go out there and try to win it. So who will win? I think it will all come down to which either team wants it more and simply plays with more energy and passion. And as far as heart goes, DO NOT underestimate the 76ers, and that?s all that has to be said about htat.

--

The Playoffs are here; this is what we Sixers fans have been waiting for. It?s Do or Die TIME! GO SIXERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Game time is right around the corner.)

2. AznxBaller

AznxBaller JBB Back...

Awesome preview man! You've basically got everything covered. Anyways, for us to win this, I think Iverson needs to come up big if anything. He needs to exploit his quickness compared to Billups, since thats probably the only advantage that we have in the game. Basically, Iverson needs to be aggressive for this game a drive into the low post to draw contact time and time again. I expect him to do that anyways. However, we're also going to need everyone else to step up. I'm predicting Larry's going to try and get his defenders to stop all the role players except for Iverson. Thats why I think it would be crucial for us to have better ball movement and find the open man. Running against this team would be next to impossible so playing the half court game and moving the ball around would be the key. Webber would fit that role perfectly but the question remains on whether or not he has successfully gelled into the team or not. Best of luck to the Sixers!

Prediction- Detroit Win, 90-80.

3. Martin

Martin Back from retirement

I haven't been so pumped up for months,I've been jumping and screaming around like crazy,I've been talking smack about Pistons players and the city of Detroit.

Sixers win this one,Im not gonna tell the score but they win

4. Kentuckyfan34

Kentuckyfan34 JBB JustBBall Member

That was a great preview, although I have to disagree with Martin, the Pistons have one of the best starting 5 in the league and I just feel that the Sixers can't over power them. I do feel that Tayshaun Prince is quite important, if he keeps playing how he has been, and if Rip comes to play.. the Sixers don't have a chance.

5. B.e.

B.e. The One Who Score Touchdowns and Spikes Mics

The 76ers should be ready to play. Everybody is saying we have no chance so they neeed to use that as motivation because beating th ePistons is not an easy task. If the Sixers want to win this game they are going to need Webber to play huge. Webber needs to hit the perimeter jump shot, if he does then that will stretch out the Detroit defense and give Allen more room to do damage in the paint. It's almost equally important for the 76ers to rebound the ball, anytime the 76ers want wins they have to keep times off the offensive glass because often stopping a playoff team on two consecutive offensive possesions.

Come one Philly prove everybody wrong, you can do it let's go!!!

6. YSM5

YSM5 JBB JustBBall Member

Pistons Suck!!!!!

7. Kentuckyfan34

i think its funny how all the sixers fans are bashing the pistons, yet i have seen no pistons fans bashing the sixers, its because we respect them we don't any team for granted so I think you should watch what you say and hope that some how your team can back up what your big mouth is saying.

8. Avery

Avery JBB IDIOT!! GOSH!!!

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Awesome preview man! You've basically got everything covered. Anyways, for us to win this, I think Iverson needs to come up big if anything. He needs to exploit his quickness compared to Billups, since thats probably the only advantage that we have in the game. Basically, Iverson needs to be aggressive for this game a drive into the low post to draw contact time and time again. I expect him to do that anyways. However, we're also going to need everyone else to step up. I'm predicting Larry's going to try and get his defenders to stop all the role players except for Iverson. Thats why I think it would be crucial for us to have better ball movement and find the open man. Running against this team would be next to impossible so playing the half court game and moving the ball around would be the key. Webber would fit that role perfectly but the question remains on whether or not he has successfully gelled into the team or not. Best of luck to the Sixers!

Prediction- Detroit Win, 90-80.</div>

Thanks. But personally, I think I could have done a lot more with this preview. There are so many things missing (i.e. the bench) and I'm not happy how I worded a couple things. I woke up at 8 AM this morning to finish this preview, and I posted it ASAP so we can extra hyped for this game. [​IMG] Nevertheless, game-time is getting closer, and I have high hopes for this team.

LETS GET GO SIXERS!

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">think its funny how all the sixers fans are bashing the pistons</div>

All? Where? I for one am NOT bashing the Pistons, heck we even have some Philly fans predicting that the 76ers will lose the game. The only person that's bashing the Pistons is the guy that posted above you saying that the Pistons suck. Other than, everything is fine... And what did you expect anyways? There are always a couple fans here and there that will bash the opposing team anyways, however I think I can speak for the majority as in, the Pistons are a great team and they may very well beat us.

9. Apollo

Apollo JBB Into The Fire

Yeah man its playoff time! The Sixers just really need to knock down their shots and we need to shutdown the big men.

We`re going to win this game, I can feel it, I just know we are...

10. YSM5

YSM5 JBB JustBBall Member

Sorry I was just tryin to pump myself up and I got overly excited SORRY BOUT THAT

11. Martin

Martin Back from retirement

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Kentuckyfan34:</div><div class="quote_post">i think its funny how all the sixers fans are bashing the pistons, yet i have seen no pistons fans bashing the sixers, its because we respect them we don't any team for granted so I think you should watch what you say and hope that some how your team can back up what your big mouth is saying.</div>
    Pistons fans are weird things,they start talking smack after winning the series not before them.We are confident about our team,that's why we talk trash.
    Isn't your sig too big?

12. AznxBaller

AznxBaller JBB Back...

Um.. it looks fine to me, its 433x100.

Anyways, incredible start by Philadelphia in this game. Everyone is being tough on defense and are hustling for loose balls. I can tell Philadelpiha is ready for this game. I mean, a perfect example of this is a play I just saw- Iverson picks off a pass, flies out of bounds, but saves the ball in time to Iguodala, who does a reverse jam. Insane. Hopefully they can keep this up.

13. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting AznxBaller:</div><div class="quote_post"> I mean, a perfect example of this is a play I just saw- Iverson picks off a pass, flies out of bounds, but saves the ball in time to Iguodala, who does a reverse jam. Insane.</div>

That play was amazing, on both Iverson and Igoudala's part. However, I don't like the way Iggy is looking so far. Even though that dunk was breathtaking, a simple layup or two-handed dunk would have just been fine; no need to try to show off. He just seems very nervous. Anyway, the Pistons are playing very out of character. I don't think the '76ers can keep beating them this badly the whole game, and I'm sticking with my pick for this series, Detroit in 5.

14. AznxBaller

AznxBaller JBB Back...

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">That play was amazing, on both Iverson and Igoudala's part. However, I don't like the way Iggy is looking so far. Even though that dunk was breathtaking, a simple layup or two-handed dunk would have just been fine; no need to try to show off. He just seems very nervous. Anyway, the Pistons are playing very out of character. I don't think the '76ers can keep beating them this badly the whole game, and I'm sticking with my pick for this series, Detroit in 5.</div>
    Yeah, well the kids just a rookie. This is his first playoff experience and plus, he even has less overall NBA experienced compared to Korver or Dalembert. It depends on whether Iverson can keep it up or not. I hope O'Brien is smart about conserving his minutes because in a couple of games, its obvious Iverson will become tired.

15. ronin

ronin JBB JustBBall Member

detroit is catching up to phily in the 2nd quarter. Pistons bench, namely arroyo and mcdyess really step up big. But webber also display his playoff experience. Up till now Webber i think had a good game. He rejuvenated his post up play again. It will be a close game, but a very good one to start a playoff.

16. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Martin:</div><div class="quote_post">Pistons fans are weird things,they start talking smack after winning the series not before them.We are confident about our team,that's why we talk trash.
    Isn't your sig too big?</div>

Piston fans don't normally talk trash, period

Most are very respectful even though the team holds the NBA title. Which to some can give good reason to be confident or arrogant.

As for the game, the Sixers got off to a great start but as the Pistons have done alot this year, they started off slow and turned it on, took the lead and now head into the half with the lead.

Mcdyess was huge in the 2nd quarter.

Sixers should be worried that Sheed, Billups and Rip shoot a combine 2-15 and the Sixers are still down by 2.

17. B.e.

The 76ers have just stopped from midway through the second quarter on....

18. ronin

ronin JBB JustBBall Member

oh my goodness... tayshaun just relive the memory if his block last year against pacers on iverson. It is the exact same block on reggie... But damn referee said its a goaltending while on the replay it clearly shows he blocked it before the ball hit the backboard.

19. B.e.

You can tell, it's the same ole' Sixers team, they started off strong with a 16 point lead now it'd the end of the third quarter and they let Sheed score 16 points alone in that quarter.

20. Kentuckyfan34

hmm. seems like the sixers can't back up their fans or their fans are just a little too confident, good thing the Pistons put them back in their place. and oh yes that was a wonderful block by tayshaun, definitely not goal tending