Official 2006 Magic Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Orlando Magic' started by bbwSwish, Mar 16, 2006.

1. bbwSwish

bbwSwish Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.

Who do you guys think the Magic should pick? Their pick will most likely be somewhere around 1 through 7 and there is a lot of talent available early in this year's draft.

After some of you guys respond, I will post my opinions and run through several players I think would fit this team.

Also, here are several Mock Drafts so that you can get an idea of what players are being projected where:

http://www.draftexpress.com/mock.php?y=2006
    http://probasketball.about.com/od/nbadraft...mockdraft_a.htm
    http://www.nbadraft.net/
    http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/Draft/mockdraft.htm
    http://www.insidehoops.com/nba-mock-draft.shtml

2. bbwTwinTowers

bbwTwinTowers BBW Member

If I picked I would pick a wing player a SG/SF type player. So I would like to see us pick either Ronnie Brewer or Rodney Carney. I like both of those players, if Brewer did not have the odd shot I say pick him for sure but he has the deformed shot because of the accident when he was a kid he can play D and pentrait and thats were he gets most of his points. Carney is a scorer straight up that is his game after 2 years in the league him Dwight and Jameer will be a pretty good Triple Threat.

3. GatorsowntheNCAA

GatorsowntheNCAA Omaha Bound 2010!

I agree with TwinTowers. Another name I would throw in there is Brandon Roy from Washington. I like him a lot. I would take Morrison/Gay if we get top 3, but if not then I would go with Carney, Brewer or Roy. I wouldn't be disappointed with any of them.

4. TheGreatK-Bob

TheGreatK-Bob JBB JustBBall Member

If we get into the teens I say get Reddik if hes still there. People question his abillity but a scorer finds a way to score. He really has become and all around player and although I doubt he'll ever be a superstar in the league, I think He'll one of the more serviceable starting shooting guards in the league for years, He won't depend on his athleticism, and if you think about it we won't need him too. Dwight and Jameer can handle a lot of that, + I figure we'll sign some big names eventually.

5. GatorsowntheNCAA

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting TheGreatK-Bob:</div><div class="quote_post">If we get into the teens I say get Reddik if hes still there. People question his abillity but a scorer finds a way to score. He really has become and all around player and although I doubt he'll ever be a superstar in the league, I think He'll one of the more serviceable starting shooting guards in the league for years, He won't depend on his athleticism, and if you think about it we won't need him too. Dwight and Jameer can handle a lot of that, + I figure we'll sign some big names eventually.</div>

I'm definetely against Redick. He's just like Garrity(but different position and a much better shooter), but undersized, no defense, no rebounding, no passing. We don't give Garrity any shots, what makes you think that we would give Redick shots? If we get into the teens, maybe draft him, but we won't be good enough to get into the teens. We will be 5-7 range probably(as long as we don't win lottery)

6. j0se

j0se JBB Banned Member

I would accually trade it if Rodney or Gay aren't there.

7. Drake Remoray

Drake Remoray JBB JustBBall Member

I definetly agree with TwinTowers, a SG/SF pick makes the most sense especially with Grant Hill being so hard to keep on the court. Ronnie Brewer seems like a good choice because he can also play PG/SG and help out with Jameer Nelson on rotations if they are on together. Also he will help the keep the Magic from going small during periods where they need 3pt shooting (not saying he is a three point shooter, but that he can play point and have Nelson play SG on offense, and they can switch on defense, I think it would work better than having Aroyo and Nelson on together for an undersized backcourt). Carney would be a nice addition as would Roy to Orlando. During March Madness I heard them talk about Roy having knee problems last year and requiring surgery so I don't know how many red flags that throws up but it is somehing the Brass will probably consider. JJ Redick does really give to much to this team, I think, in the ways of the Win/Loss ratio, and I think I would have to agree strongly with GatorsowntheSEC. JJ Redick would make more sense if this team had a healthy Grant Hill and more developed Howard, but at this stage I don't believe he would be to great for the Magic. If the Magic land a top 3 pick, I can see them drafting Gay as he would fit better in Hill's defensive ideals than Morrison and he seems like better fit for this team in general.

8. TheGreatK-Bob

I don't know. I want a slow white guy despite his slow whiteness and lack of athleticism is still amazing and I think JJ or especially Morrison can give us that. Call me crazy but I think that a pure scorer in the "he's not athletic enough but he still makes a huge difference" ilk is what we need.

9. bbwTwinTowers

bbwTwinTowers BBW Member

Roy played a great game last night and Iam really liking him more so I would like the Magic to draft him, Carney, or Brewer all of those players fill the role that we need.

10. GatorsowntheNCAA

I hope the LSU game takes our eyes away from Redick. He actually had to play an athletic team and guess what, he got shutdown by a freshman.

Roy really impressed me last night.

11. bbwSwish

The updated Mock Draft on NBADraft.net (http://www.nbadraft.net/) has us taking freshman power forward Josh McRoberts (Duke) with the #6 pick. I don't understand this at all. If we have Dwight Howard and Darko Milicic down low, what would be the point of taking another power forward? If anything we will go after a SG or SF like Rodney Carney or Brandon Roy with our pick.

Do you guys agree?

12. GatorsowntheNCAA

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Swish15:</div><div class="quote_post">The updated Mock Draft on NBADraft.net (http://www.nbadraft.net/) has us taking freshman power forward Josh McRoberts (Duke) with the #6 pick. I don't understand this at all. If we have Dwight Howard and Darko Milicic down low, what would be the point of taking another power forward? If anything we will go after a SG or SF like Rodney Carney or Brandon Roy with our pick.

Do you guys agree?</div>

Most of the sites right now are just listing the players in order that they think the players are in. They haven't taken into consideration needs yet. First off, I doubt McRoberts goes pro and if he does I doubt we draft him. We will draft Brandon Roy with our pick, IMO.

13. bbwSwish

Now that our playoff hopes are dead and we are lottery bound, let's get this thread active again.

Rudy Gay declared for the draft yesterday and since his disapointing tournament, his draft value has dropped a lot. Do you guys think there is anyway he will fall to our pick? Would you want him since he is mostly based off of potential?

14. GatorsowntheNCAA

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Swish15:</div><div class="quote_post">Now that our playoff hopes are dead and we are lottery bound, let's get this thread active again.

Rudy Gay declared for the draft yesterday and since his disapointing tournament, his draft value has dropped a lot. Do you guys think there is anyway he will fall to our pick? Would you want him since he is mostly based off of potential?</div>

He won't fall past top 6-7, IMO and I still think he will be a top 3-5 pick. Brandon Roy has shot up the radar after the tournament, but since he doesn't do anything exceptionally well(he does everything good though) he will likely drop a little during the workouts and stuff. He sorta reminds me of Josh Howard. Brandon Roy is probably my #1 guy that I would like and Rodney Carney would be #2. As long as we don't draft Redick, then I will be happy.

15. smokrockz

smokrockz JBB JustBBall Member

I think we can trade this pick and get a good vet. Give some other team the change to add young guys we have enough. We need some more vets on this team. I would love to have Mike Miller back. We have most of the positions on this team filled its just a matter of getting a vet in here now to help move the youngin along. I think Ariza and Darko are going to be around for a while on this team.

16. houston_owns_u

houston_owns_u JBB JustBBall Member

Isn't Fran Vazquez gonna return next season? Or the next? Ever? Never?

Well I'm think get a shooting guard as 1st option and a PG as a second. PF and C are loaded with Howard, Milicic, and Battie. SF has Hedo and possibly Grant Hill, who I thought was going to retire.

Well a replacement or backup for DeShawn Stevenson is needed, maybe Carney, Roy, Brewer, Foye?

17. GatorsowntheNCAA

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting houston_owns_u:</div><div class="quote_post">Isn't Fran Vazquez gonna return next season? Or the next? Ever? Never?

Well I'm think get a shooting guard as 1st option and a PG as a second. PF and C are loaded with Howard, Milicic, and Battie. SF has Hedo and possibly Grant Hill, who I thought was going to retire.

Well a replacement or backup for DeShawn Stevenson is needed, maybe Carney, Roy, Brewer, Foye?</div>

PG isnt' a need at all. We have Jameer, Arroyo, Dooling and Diener. SF we have Hedo and Ariza and Augmon(not counting on Grant Hill). Basically it's swingman in general because right now we have Stevenson, Dooling(moore of a PG), Hedo, Ariza. Hedo is the only one that should be a starter. We could draft a SF and move Hedo to SG or something like that. if we leave the draft without a wingman in the first round I am going to be pissed off.

No one knows about Fran.

18. bbwTwinTowers

bbwTwinTowers BBW Member

What do you guys think if we draft Arron Afflalo? He entered his name in the draft but he is not hiring an agent, but if he does good in owrkouts we could draft him.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - UCLA sophomore guard Arron Afflalo has decided to make himself available for the 2006 NBA Draft.

According to a report in The Los Angeles Daily News, Afflalo will not hire an agent and will retain his college eligibility.

Afflalo led UCLA in scoring last season with 15.8 points per game and was a big reason the Bruins made it to the national title game.

Afflalo is expected to remain enrolled at UCLA while working out for NBA teams in preparation for the June 28 draft.

If there are indications he will not go in the first round of the draft, Afflalo is expected to withdraw his name from consideration and return to UCLA for his junior season.</div>

19. TheGreatK-Bob

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting TwinTowers:</div><div class="quote_post">What do you guys think if we draft Arron Afflalo? He entered his name in the draft but he is not hiring an agent, but if he does good in owrkouts we could draft him.</div>

I don't actually know anything about him. Still I say go for Carney or if he's not available i actually like Foye a lot. I don't mind a small back court if it's clutch and Stevenson still gets a lot of time.

20. GatorsowntheNCAA

Brandon Roy is still my favorite.