Official JBB 2005 NBA Mock Draft Rnd 1 (v4.0)

Discussion in 'JBB Mock Draft 2005 - 2007' started by Voodoo Child, May 13, 2005.

1. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

With player workouts in progress and a new group of players declaring for the draft, <font color="blue">Voodoo Child</font>, <font color="blue">Shapecity</font>, and new addition <font color="blue">CourtKing</font> present Version 4.0 of the 2005 NBA Mock Draft.

#1 - Atlanta Hawks - Andrew Bogut (Utah)
    #2 - New Orleans Hornets - Marvin Williams (North Carolina)
    #3 - Charlotte Bobcats - Chris Paul (Wake Forest)
    #4 - Utah Jazz - Deron Williams (Illinois)
    #5 - Portland Trailblazers - Gerald Green (High School)
    #6 - Milwaukee Bucks - Martin Andriuskevicius (International)
    #7 - Toronto Raptors - Raymond Felton (North Carolina)
    #8 - New York Knicks - Fran Vazquez (International)
    #9 - Golden State Warriors - Hakim Warrick (Syracuse)
    #10 - Los Angeles Lakers - Tiago Splitter (International)
    #11 - Orlando Magic - Chris Taft (Pittsburgh)
    #12 - Los Angeles Clippers - Martell Webster (High School)
    #13 - Charlotte Bobcats - Danny Granger (New Mexico)
    #14 - Minnesota Timberwolves - Mardy Collins (Temple)
    #15 - New Jersey Nets - Sean May (North Carolina)
    #16 - Toronto Raptors - Antoine Wright (Texas A&M)
    #17 - Indiana Pacers - Nemanja Alexsandrov (International)
    #18 - Boston Celtics - Jarrett Jack (Georgia Tech)
    #19 - Memphis Grizzlies - Dee Brown (Illinois)
    #20 - Denver Nuggets - Rashad McCants (North Carolina)
    #21 - Phoenix Suns - Channing Frye (Arizona)
    #22 - Denver Nuggets - Charlie Villanueva (Connecticut)
    #23 - Sacramento Kings - Joey Graham (Oklahoma State)
    #24 - Houston Rockets - Randolph Morris (Kentucky)
    #25 - Seattle Supersonics - Francisco Garcia (Louisville)
    #26 - Detroit Pistons - Wayne Simien (Kansas)
    #27 - Utah Jazz - Yaroslav Korolev (International)
    #28 - San Antonio - Johan Petro (International)
    #29 - Miami Heat - Andray Blatche (High School)
    #30 - New York Knicks - Rudy Fernandez (International)

2. BigBlueFan

BigBlueFan BBW Member

Randolph Morris averaged 8 points and 4 rebounds as a starting center for Kentucky. That's definitely a clue that you're obviously not ready to make the jump to NBA. I do think he'd be a good fit in Houston because Yao is going to be a free agent after next season I believe, and if they can't for some reason get a contract worked out with him, then they'll have Morris who will gain a lot of experience from watching Yao. He still is raw, but I think he'll amount to a solid NBA center in the near future. I just don't expect him to come right in and make an instant impact and I hope the NBA teams don't exoact that either.

3. AznxBaller

AznxBaller JBB Back...

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">I do think he'd be a good fit in Houston because Yao is going to be a free agent after next season I believe, and if they can't for some reason get a contract worked out with him, then they'll have Morris who will gain a lot of experience from watching Yao.</div>
    Trust me, Yao's going to get an extension. Anyways, I'm not too sure Houston would bite on Morris- the kid straight out of highschool. They aren't rebuilding or anything so it would probably be smarter for them to take a player with more experience from college and thats NBA ready. If Morris is just averaging those numbers, I doubt Houston would take him.

4. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

[​IMG] I would have never guessed Warrick would jump this far. Although he has the athleticism, he lacks in size and is a tweener. He must've been quite impressive in workouts. I hope Isiah doesn't choose him, he has been impressing him.

5. bplld

bplld JBB JustBBall Member

There is a 99.9 percent chance that the rockets are getting back Yao. They are probably resigning deke too this year. A guy like morris doesnt really look like he would fit into our gameplan, even at PF. He doesnt have much range or rebounding. Wayne Simien seems like a much better option for the rockets.

6. BigBlueFan

BigBlueFan BBW Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting AznxBaller:</div><div class="quote_post">Trust me, Yao's going to get an extension. Anyways, I'm not too sure Houston would bite on Morris- the kid straight out of highschool. They aren't rebuilding or anything so it would probably be smarter for them to take a player with more experience from college and thats NBA ready. If Morris is just averaging those numbers, I doubt Houston would take him.</div>
    He averaged those numbers as the starting center at Kentucky this season. If those were the numbers he averaged in high school, then his butt would be home on the couch.

He has great post moves but has trouble finishing them off and hitting the easy hook shot or fade away. He cannot take on a more physical center to save his life, so I don't really think it's a wise choice to go NBA this year, but the NBA is definitely in the young man's future.

7. AznxBaller

AznxBaller JBB Back...

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting UKOwnstheSEC:</div><div class="quote_post">He averaged those numbers as the starting center at Kentucky this season. If those were the numbers he averaged in high school, then his butt would be home on the couch.

He has great post moves but has trouble finishing them off and hitting the easy hook shot or fade away. He cannot take on a more physical center to save his life, so I don't really think it's a wise choice to go NBA this year, but the NBA is definitely in the young man's future.</div>
    Yeah sorry my bad, for some reason the profile on NBADraft net was messed up. And since I don't follow college basketball that much-well you get it. Still, he's a big question mark, and I still believe we need a better powerforward that has more range. I personally prefer Simien.

8. Courtking

Courtking Courtking

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting UKOwnstheSEC:</div><div class="quote_post">Randolph Morris averaged 8 points and 4 rebounds as a starting center for Kentucky. That's definitely a clue that you're obviously not ready to make the jump to NBA. I do think he'd be a good fit in Houston because Yao is going to be a free agent after next season I believe, and if they can't for some reason get a contract worked out with him, then they'll have Morris who will gain a lot of experience from watching Yao. He still is raw, but I think he'll amount to a solid NBA center in the near future. I just don't expect him to come right in and make an instant impact and I hope the NBA teams don't exoact that either.</div>

Still Morris have two things in his favor that the scouts like he size at 6'10", 260, and the fact that he has potential. ESPN wrote in an insider article that Morris would be a first round lock, I don't know about a first round lock but there is a high percentage that he can be late first.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting MrJ:</div><div class="quote_post"> I would have never guessed Warrick would jump this far. Although he has the athleticism, he lacks in size and is a tweener. He must've been quite impressive in workouts. I hope Isiah doesn't choose him, he has been impressing him.</div>

Warrick can actually be going as high as five now depending on how the lottery shacks up but yes he has been sky rocketing up the board. I don't know why he was ever that far down the board to begin with. A lot of people say that Warrick is too small but I don't know why he can't play small forward in the NBA. He has the athletesism where he can fit into one of those two positions. If I were a Knicks fan I would want Isiah to take him especially if guys like Gerald Green and Chris Taft are off the board I would say why not.

9. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting CourtKing:</div><div class="quote_post">Warrick can actually be going as high as five now depending on how the lottery shacks up but yes he has been sky rocketing up the board. I don't know why he was ever that far down the board to begin with. A lot of people say that Warrick is too small but I don't know why he can't play small forward in the NBA. He has the athletesism where he can fit into one of those two positions. If I were a Knicks fan I would want Isiah to take him especially if guys like Gerald Green and Chris Taft are off the board I would say why not.</div>
    Warrick can play small forward in the league, but he has more of a power forward mentality which is why he has that tweener label on him. While he was a great college player on Syracuse, I don?t know how successful on the next level because of it. Unfortunately, in this day and age the NBA Draft, height, body, talent and potential mean everything. He is a hard worker and that can always shatter some doubts. I wouldn?t like for Isiah to use our most likely 8th pick on him. His potential is limited too because of his lack of size. I don?t really like using the comparison game, but Stromile Swift is definitely what I see him as.

I used to be a big fan of Gerald Green, but I think that was because of what I saw in the McDonald?s All American where there was no defense just like any other all-star game. The funny thing about Green is he just recently had a breakout year and now these scouts are looking at him. When he was a sophomore in high school, I believe he wasn?t even a top 50 prospect in his class. Someone such as Martell Webster who is physically ready and has done more is someone I think teams should be looking more at. But again, scouts are in love with the ?P? word. Webster can shoot the lights out and his worse case scenario is something like a decent starter. He is a win-win situation whereas Green is a high-risk high reward situation. Webster?s upside isn?t too far behind Green?s either.

Taft is a player I like for the Knicks. He has an NBA-ready body, he also has some nice moves in the paint. He can definitely help the Knicks out in the interior with them lacking a center. Although a bit undersized, I think he has that kind of potential to become a good center especially with the lack of centers in the east. I think he was just going through the motions last year in Pittsburgh. Also with miracle worker Mark Aguirre around, I think he can become great if he reaches his potential.

I?m happy about the Knicks getting Rudy Fernandez with their 30th pick. He has nice potential and can become a great shooting threat and open things up especially if we have both him and Taft. If healthy, a possible lineup of Marbury, Fernandez in the back court, and Houston, Taft and Sweetney in the front court can definitely be a killer.

10. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting MrJ:</div><div class="quote_post">Warrick can play small forward in the league, but he has more of a power forward mentality which is why he has that tweener label on him. While he was a great college player on Syracuse, I don?t know how successful on the next level because of it. Unfortunately, in this day and age the NBA Draft, height, body, talent and potential mean everything. He is a hard worker and that can always shatter some doubts. I wouldn?t like for Isiah to use our most likely 8th pick on him. His potential is limited too because of his lack of size. I don?t really like using the comparison game, but Stromile Swift is definitely what I see him as.</div>

It's incredibly eerie that you mention the Stromile Swift comparison, because I was just about to enter this thread and make that comparison myself. How can anyone say they don't think 6-8, 230 lbs. Warrick will make it as a Power Forward in the NBA, yet they think their team should sign 6-9, 230 lbs. Swift as their teams starting Center next season? That just doesn't make sense. However, I think the comparison stops at the body type. Warrick has more tools (athleticism and ball handling) that'll allow him to step out and play the wing.

I'd also compare Warrick's situation to Shane Battier's. Battier had the exact same body out of Duke and was considered a Power Forward by many, but that following season he was able to play every position on the court outside of Center for the Grizzlies. He has a better jump shot and overall work ethic than Warrick, but Warrick has more athleticism and ball handling skills.

As for Green, I'm glad that you're seeing that he's the most raw player in the entire draft at this point. You're right about him just coming on the scene as well. It wasn't until about 2004, when he had an MVP performance or two in a few All-Star camps, that he was considered on that elite High School level. Up to this point, he has also been able to get by through his athleticism, quickness, and height advantage against subpar High School defenders (compared to the NBA of course). One of the other big knocks on him is that he's unmotivated and incosistent. Many scouts believe that Green has a poor work ethic, and would rather draft a player like Webster because of it. What separates DeAngello Collins, Lenny Cooke, and Leon Smith from Amare Stouadmire, Kevin Garnett, and Kobe Bryant is their work ethic. As you said, Webster is also a better physical prospect. Gerald Green's strength is improving, but he can still only bench 185 lbs. twelve times. Webster is about an inch shorter but around forty pounds heavier. With all of that said, the only reason why a team would pick Green in the top five would be because of "the 'P' word", as you also pointed out. Outside of Bogut, M.Williams, Paul, and perhaps even D.Williams, many scouts feel as if there is not another player with that "superstar" potential except for Green. Because of that, you will see Green get a lot of interest from teams picking as high as #4 in the draft.

As I've stated before, I personally just do not see what all the hype around Chris Taft is about. He's got an amazing body and hands for a kid his age, but he only averaged 13 points and 7.5 rebounds per game last season. You can't even trace this "potential" of his back to success on the High School level. Most sources rated him outside of the top 40 and well behind prospects like Richard McBride (who?). His inconsistency and failure to produce in big time games troubles me too much to consider him a top ten prospect. Against Boone he recorded 7/3, against Francis he recorded 1/6, against Warrick he recorded 8/5, against Powell he recorded 12/6, against D.Jones he recorded 10/6, against Fraser he recorded 10/6, against C.Smith he recorded 12/8, and against the powerful St. Francis (PA), he recorded just 4/2. Are those the numbers of a top ten pick? To put it in perspective, Wayne Simien averaged about 23 points and 11 rebounds per game.

11. Pure

Pure JBB Graphic Design

I was just noticing that Charlotte could be damn good next year, if your predictions fall through. Paul and Granger are two great college players that are low risk, high reward. With Okafor, Wallace and Hart, they could start getting good.

I don't know much about Mardy Collins going to Minnesota. Could someone please give a quick overview of his game? It would be appreciated.

12. BigBlueFan

BigBlueFan BBW Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Voodoo Child:</div><div class="quote_post">As I've stated before, I personally just do not see what all the hype around Chris Taft is about. He's got an amazing body and hands for a kid his age, but he only averaged 13 points and 7.5 rebounds per game last season. You can't even trace this "potential" of his back to success on the High School level. Most sources rated him outside of the top 40 and well behind prospects like Richard McBride (who?). His inconsistency and failure to produce in big time games troubles me too much to consider him a top ten prospect. Against Boone he recorded 7/3, against Francis he recorded 1/6, against Warrick he recorded 8/5, against Powell he recorded 12/6, against D.Jones he recorded 10/6, against Fraser he recorded 10/6, against C.Smith he recorded 12/8, and against the powerful St. Francis (PA), he recorded just 4/2. Are those the numbers of a top ten pick? To put it in perspective, Wayne Simien averaged about 23 points and 11 rebounds per game.</div>
    My thoughts exactly. I've watched Taft play many times and i'm not impressed with him at all. Taft lacks offensive skills and the killer instinct. Taft to me, will not succeed as a center and I believe that he'll probably be a PF for whoever drafts him. Taft is undersized as a center at 6-10 but is big bodied, so that gives him the ability to box out and post up on the taller centers.

I personally think there are better centers in the draft such as Channing Frye, but will get draft out of the top 10.

13. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Pure:</div><div class="quote_post">
    I don't know much about Mardy Collins going to Minnesota. Could someone please give a quick overview of his game? It would be appreciated.</div>

Mardy Collins is a 6-6, combo guard from Temple, who averaged 17.5 ppg (third in A-10), 5.9 rpg, 3.6 apg, and 2.9 spg (8th in the nation). He's got a pretty good jumpshot, but teams will be looking at him this high because of his defense, which ranks amongst the best in the NCAA. During a game against South Carolina this year, Collins had an amazing nine steals, and then against Chris Paul and Wake Forest, he had seven steals. Collins is also intruiging because of his size and poise. Scouts will be drooling over the prospect of adding a 6-6 point guard with great defense, above-average athleticism, great ball handling, and control in high pressure situations. The reason we sent him to Minnesota was because we thought he'd be a great replacement for Cassell, and if Cassell isn't traded, Mardy is the one point guard this high in the draft that they could always just switch to the Shooting Guard position.

14. Pure

Pure JBB Graphic Design

Thanks a lot, Voodoo Child.

The defense factor would definately be huge for us. He is a mix of what we need. Cassell brings offense, but no defense. Hassell brings defense, but no offense. Collins could be an awesome combo for both of them.

In my eyes, you can never have enough defense. Offense sells tickets, defense wins games. And then to get an offensive and defensive threat it just double-dipping.

Thanks for the insight.

15. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

Simien puts up 23/11 on a better team and is a late first rounder maybe even an early second rounder and someone like Taft who only puts up a mere 13/7.5 is a top 10 pick. Also the stats that you brought up show how much his numbers are padded. He has been very disappointing, but he has that NBA body which scouts love. The reason why I want him to play with the Knicks is because of Mark Aguirre. He has really been known to help big men and now Taft comes in with the most tools out of anyone he?s ever worked with so I think he can turn into a real monster.

16. Drake Remoray

Drake Remoray JBB JustBBall Member

Where do you think Andrew Bynum would go on this draft?

17. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Pure:</div><div class="quote_post">Thanks a lot, Voodoo Child.

The defense factor would definately be huge for us. He is a mix of what we need. Cassell brings offense, but no defense. Hassell brings defense, but no offense. Collins could be an awesome combo for both of them.

In my eyes, you can never have enough defense. Offense sells tickets, defense wins games. And then to get an offensive and defensive threat it just double-dipping.

Thanks for the insight.</div>

Thank <u>you</u>, Pure. We love to get input on our mock drafts.

I think this pick is a lot better than our pick of Danny Granger last week. Granger is the better player, but Collins is a much better fit. The only question mark concerning Collins is the fact that he has yet to put his name into the draft with only hours left before the deadline. It appeared very likely that he would a few weeks ago, because he was a Junior and had a "test card", but right now it seems pretty 50/50. We just have to wait for his announcement.

As for Andrew Bynum, we'll have him in our next mock draft. He declared after we had already finalized our picks. However, his stock is all over the board; it just depends on who you listen to. Despite putting up poor numbers in the McDonald's and Jordan All-Star games, I'm sure he'll receive some consideration for the lottery because of his size (7-0, 280 lbs.) and age (17 years old), but I'd expect him to be more of a late first rounder.

18. Pure

Pure JBB Graphic Design

Well, if he doesn't declare, we'll just have to see what happens.

I still think Granger is a good pick. I expect Szczerbiak to be traded, which would leave only Ebi with the small forward position. Although, Hassell could easily be moved to small forward, he ends up guarding the best guard or small forward in the game anyway. But is Collins ready to start? We know Sprewell is gone. That would give us a rookie shooting guard. I wouldn't be too worried, but there always is a risk with rookies and pressure.

19. Courtking

Courtking Courtking

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting MrJ:</div><div class="quote_post">
    Taft is a player I like for the Knicks. He has an NBA-ready body, he also has some nice moves in the paint. He can definitely help the Knicks out in the interior with them lacking a center. Although a bit undersized, I think he has that kind of potential to become a good center especially with the lack of centers in the east. I think he was just going through the motions last year in Pittsburgh. Also with miracle worker Mark Aguirre around, I think he can become great if he reaches his potential.
    </div>

Taft has the potential to be to be one great player yet he has the potential to be one of the biggest busts in this draft. I am going to pick that Taft will be the biggest bust in this years draft. The only way your potential can be used is if you work at it and Taft doesn't have that type motivation to do that. Taft still hasn't put up the numbers, or become a dominate threat, 13 and 7 a game are average for his size and athletic ability. Everybody is so high on him because he carrys around the "p" work with him and he is athletic. I am sorry for saying this but if the Knicks do pick Taft, it would simply just explain to me why they have been in the lottery three out of the last four years and have not found a star player.

20. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting CourtKing:</div><div class="quote_post">Taft has the potential to be to be one great player yet he has the potential to be one of the biggest busts in this draft. I am going to pick that Taft will be the biggest bust in this years draft. The only way your potential can be used is if you work at it and Taft doesn't have that type motivation to do that. Taft still hasn't put up the numbers, or become a dominate threat, 13 and 7 a game are average for his size and athletic ability. Everybody is so high on him because he carrys around the "p" work with him and he is athletic. I am sorry for saying this but if the Knicks do pick Taft, it would simply just explain to me why they have been in the lottery three out of the last four years and have not found a star player.</div>
    You're right on this. Taft does have probably the most potential in becoming a huge bust too. I do believe Taft is going through the motions this year and has NBA-itis. If I'm not mistaken, didn't he have such a promising rookie season which created all the hype around him? Also him having problems with Pittsburgh's offense and their point guard is something to look at as well. Also the Knicks having Mark Aguirre is something to look at as I said before. I beleive having him around helped Jermaine O'Neal breakout, it helped Nazr Mohammed, and it helped Sweetney too. Taft has more tools than all of them. How do you think someone like Hakim Warrick will be better than for the Knicks than Taft? It explains why the Knicks were in the lottery 3 out of 4 years? Hmmm......let's take a look:
    01-02:
    Marcus Camby out 53 games
    Clearence Weatherspoon out 26 games
    Charlie Ward out 19 games

The Knicks drafted Nene, however, they traded the pick to Denver and got Frank Williams who had a breakout year in 03-04, but Marbury being around stunted his growth.

02-03:
    Antonio McDyess missed the whole season
    Latrell Sprewell missed the first 8 games
    Charlie Ward missed 16 games
    The Knicks drafted Mike Sweetney who has been pretty good for them.

The next year when they made the playoffs, with the 43rd pick, the Knicks drafted Trevor Ariza a very pleasant surprise for them.

04-05:
    Allan Houston missed 62 games
    Penny Hardaway missed 45 games
    Crawford missed 3 straight crucial weeks
    Tim Thomas missed 11 crucial games (he can be alright sometimes [​IMG])

It seems as if most of the Knicks problems have been due to their injury problems and not their draft picks. Please tell me where you got the idea that their draft picks have served as a hinderance to the Knicks.