Official off-season thread

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by kreidertime, May 30, 2015.

1. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

They have 11.5 to sign Stepan, Fast, Hagelin and Miller this season. They should be able to do that. Next year even with Boyle off the books is where it gets tough with Kreider and Hayes coming up for RFA.

To me, they eventually have to dump Nash. Might as well see what they can get this season.

2. kreidertime

F'n Glass better not be on this team. You don't see any of the 3 teams in the conference final with a player as useless as Glass on their roster. You don't need guys like that in the playoffs. Period. It's moronic. AV made a huge mistake with that. Last night was a prime example of a game last year where the 4th line might have gotten a goal and gave the Rangers the lead.

3. kreidertime

The non existent offense from the 4th line was a part of the reason this team wasn't as good in the playoffs as last year. One of a few reasons. Sather adding 2 relics in St. Louis and Boyle hurt the team badly this year. It worked last year with St. Louis. Not this year. That was a big reason. AV insisting on building a soft, mobile defense is not the direction I would go in the next 3-4 years. He needs to build a more physical team.

4. Rangers94

Rangers94 Well-Known Member

AV has always had those type of dmen because, typically, they are better offensively. He doesn't like the McIlrath, clear the crease but have limited offensive skill dmen, which is why I doubt you ever see him up with the big club.
    I would think about not resigning Hags too as the only thing he brings to the team is speed, but lacks finishing skill. Bring up Lindberg for him at a cheaper price and leave some cap space available for next year. Not sure what the CBA says, but I'd also see if Hank was willing to renegotiate his contract (if the CBA allows) and take less money so we can put better pieces around him to get him the Cup. We're close, but we just don't have enough finishing skill and if we didn't have useless MSL out there getting way too much ice time and Nash being injured with an obvious sand in his vagina injury, we probably could have been much closer.

5. chuckd3534

chuckd3534 Well-Known Member

You love killing the 4th line dump...funny stuff. Last night Moore and Glass were the only two guys on the 4th line since they dressed 11 forwards. Glass sucks, we all know that, but he is FAR from the biggest issue with regards to our lack of scoring at home.

I have no issue getting rid of Glass, I would welcome that, but I also don't think he is a big reason we lost...not even close. Won't be easy to move 2 years of his deal, but maybe someone will want him and you dump him for a low pick. Or scratch him or send him down and save 900 K. But I doubt AV does either of those things as he loves Glass.

6. chuckd3534

I actually feel bad for MSL because I think these playoffs were embarrassing for him, how could they not have been. I mean he was AWFUL...AWFUL. Lost every single board battle. Made passes that had you saying WTF. Couldn't finish anything. He was a joke out there.

I feel bad for him because as a proud athlete and good guy it must have been tough for him, but I cannot put into words how awful he was in these playoffs, and that is the one spot I get on AV. He obsession with continuing to keep MSL on the PP was crushing. Last night he made 2 or 3 plays on the PP that you said WTF is he doing. The 1st PP unit didn't get a shot. Had almost no zone time. And MSL was front and center on that.

I feel really badly for the guy, but man did he kill us, I think he was TERRIBLE in these playoffs with poor decisions and losing EVERY SINGLE BATTLE. Sad.

7. chuckd3534

The only question mark on the RFA's you mentioned is Hags. You could argue rather than paying Hags 3 mill per +/- you save that and try and bring in a top 9 righty shot that can score some goals. I think Talbot gets traded for sure, so maybe he is the chip for that. That's what I would do I believe. Let Hags go and deal Talbot for a righty top 9 forward to balance things out.

Nash/Brass/Zucc
    Kreider/Step/righty
    Miller/Hayes/?
    Fast/Moore/Glass/Lindberg

When you look at those lines you could argue keep Hags, but I don't know if they can afford him at 3 mill per +/- and add the righty top 9. At this point I wonder how much MSL would want. If he would take a 1.5 or so base you could do a lot worse. I really doubt he retires, but who knows I guess.

I personally don't see major changes. The D is set (buyout/trade Boyle and go kid is the only question). Upfront to me it is Hags and MSL...what do you do with those guys. And maybe move Talbot for a righty top 9. Outside of that I really don't see big changes. Some minor fringe stuff is what I see.

And then we grind for months again hoping we have enough in the tank after all the games we have played the past few seasons...

8. kreidertime

You love ignoring every flaw Chuck. You've done it since day one. It's gotten old here. Your idiotic, go for it all mentality at all costs has led to a team with a weak farm, few picks and a roster without much cap room going forward.

The Rangers draft to be a 4 line team. Not a three line team with no 4th line. They don't have a dynamic first line and a dependable second line. That's not the way they are built.

9. chuckd3534

Oh dump...you are the man...LOL.

It has nothing to do with that. I don't like Glass. I have zero issue getting rid of him, actually I want him gone, but I am also not dumb enough to continue GAME AFTER GAME to get on 4th line Glass as we struggle to score at home, that is just ridiculous.

I don't like Glass, he doesn't add much IMO, he cannot score at all, I would love for him to be gone, but unlike you I know what his role is and know we have way bigger things to focus on. You are a broken record with him, like 11th forward Tanner Glass is why we lost, and why outside of 1 or 2 goals EVERY SINGLE TB GOAL was scored by their top 6.

Funny...

10. chuckd3534

And you know what has helped us have a weak farm, and BTW that was a quick turn by you to now we have a weak farm...LOL, useless McIlrath who you have slobbered over for years. If you didn't need to skate in the NHL he'd be great...sadly skating is important for a dman...LOL.

11. Messiah717

Messiah717 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

The obsession with killing Glass needs to end. He and that line played a solid game six. Last night had absolutely nothing to do with him. Seven straight home periods without a goal is what you should focus on.

12. chuckd3534

No Mess...he is the issue...our 11th forward is the issue...LOL. And our weak farm now after YEARS of telling us how great it was. Love dump...I really do.

13. Messiah717

Messiah717 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Well if you really think the farm is an issue just think of all the picks this team has given up lately.

14. panzerporter

panzerporter Well-Known Member

Totally agree about MSL, he had more to do with the Rangers losing than any other player. Boyle was a disaster, figured he deserved the benefit of the doubt when he had a slow start to the season but the reality of the situation is he's over the hill. He and MSL have to go, they have nothing to offer next year's team. The one dimensional Hagelin had 5 points in the playoffs this year, his speed is irrelevant because he has no idea how to use it, no need to resign him. I felt that Glen should have traded him once he signed Zuccarello. As Tanner Glass' sole defender on the board this year I welcome him back. He did the job he was brought here to do - take the body legally and fight whoever was stupid enough to drop the gloves with him. This was the first year in a long time that the Rangers had a legit enforcer - the small punching bag Dorsett had one point in last year's playoffs.

I agree with you about moving Nash but I think the only way something like that happens is if we make a deal with a team that's looking to get rid of an overpaid underperformer. I'm also concerned about the defense, hoping with McDonough that he was playing through some type of injury because he wasn't his usual self. For all the crap posted about Yandle he led the team's defenders in scoring and was an upgrade from John Moore. Staal had 1 point and was a -8 postseason, still don't like his resigning but what's done is done.

15. SaveLundy

SaveLundy Active Member

All good points chuck, as far as St.louis goes you have to cut ties with him. He's a true pro but hes done, so let another team offer him something. Hagelin is an interesting scenario, I do believe Fast makes him expendable as does his lack of a finishing touch. I would maybe do a sign and trade package of Hags and Talbot. Whom you package them for not sure, a right handed shot that is cap flexable and can slot in on the 3rd line possibly 2nd.

16. chuckd3534

I am not going to sit here and claim to know everything about our farm, but from what I have seen and heard Skjei is going to be a good dman. Plus we have Buch after one more season in Russia. Add in all the players we have on the big club 27 and under and 25 and under, and truly I am not concerned. We have more than enough youth up top to be a player for a few more years.

And let's be honest, this goes as Hank goes, so 3 or 4 more years is his window, and we have more than enough youth on the big club to cover that. That's why I am not concerned about it.

17. kreidertime

Glass must not be brought back under any circumstances. The Rangers don't have a dynamic, top 3 franchise offensive player. They don't have a big first line scoring wine. They can't have a 4th line that never does jack offensively. Glass provides nothing to this team. He's just blocking a roster spot for Lindberg and perhaps another young player. He's USELESS. Nash, St. Louis and Boyle were the big reasons this team lost. However, the 4th line was certainly part of it.

18. chuckd3534

Outside of a game here or there, Boyle actually played well in the playoffs IMO. McDonagh was hurt for sure, had a broken foot the past few games. And I really don't see Nash moved for many reasons, but we'll see. He had his best playoffs by far, and it still wasn't near enough. 0 points in 6 of the last 8 playoff games...not enough.

19. chuckd3534

I would love to see a Fast/Moore/Lindberg 4th line. Only issue is where do you get the size and bang from. I actually wouldn't hate bringing Sheppard back for that if we can get rid of Glass. Shepp can finish a little, and I much rather have him than Glass.

20. chuckd3534

You want to get on a dman that struggled, look at Marc Staal. He was terrible in the playoffs. And Klein never got near his level after he came back. Guess he gets a pass after the injury, but those guys weren't good enough IMO.

Boyle certainly wasn't great, but he was pretty good and had 10 points in 19 games...not bad. 5th leading playoff scorer...guess who # 4 was...Yandle. Tells you a lot about what the forwards did in the playoffs doesn't it...

Hayes and Hags really didn't do much, Hags nothing after Pitt series, and that hurt. MSL was awful and even Kreider didn't do much. 7 goals, but only 2 assists, and the last couple of games that line was a total no show.