OFFSEASON: Johnson & Curry?

Discussion in 'Atlanta Hawks' started by King James X3, Jul 9, 2005.

1. King James X3

King James X3 JBB JustBBall Member

OFFSEASON: Johnson & Curry?

That's what it's looking like, we've all heard the rumors of The Atlanta Hawks offering Joe Johnson a MAX contract on July 22, which in my opinion will not be matched by Phoenix. But now rumors of Eddy Curry signing with Atlanta have pushed their way to the surface as well.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Atlanta Journal-Constitution:</div><div class="quote_post">A Hawks roster that includes both Joe Johnson and Eddy Curry might not be quite as far-fetched as it sounds.

Not with news that Johnson could receive a maximum contract offer from the Hawks on July 22 and that Curry is willing to depart from his hometown Bulls because contract negotiations with Chicago are moving much slower than he anticipated. </div>

I believe these two possible signings could finally get Atlanta back into The NBA Playoffs, and if their prospects develop as expected, you could be looking at a serious franchise that can get into the late rounds in The East. It's certainly now a possibility more than ever...

PG: Salim Stoudemire
    SG: Josh Childress
    SF: Marvin Williams
    PF: Al Harrington
    C: Eddy Curry
    6M: Josh Smith

2. Bobcats

Bobcats JBB JustBBall Member

I'm pretty sure Marvin Williams would be the 6th man. I don't think the Hawks would be a lock for the playoffs, but they could sneak in maybe around 6th-8th with that lineup IMO.

3. lessthanjake

lessthanjake JBB JustBBall Member

that would be AWESOME. curry looks finally to have put everything together, and will only get better. and JJ can play the point, so the lineup would probally be something like:

PG: Joe Johnson
    SG: Childress
    SF: J-Smoove
    PF Al Harrington
    C: Eddie Curry

6m: Marvin Williams
    7: Salim Stoudamire

Also ther is a good chance that Al Harrington is gone. maybe we'll trade him for a combo guard like flip murray?

4. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Eddy Curry has scheduled a visit to Atlanta for Monday-Tuesday, making his first official move in the free-agent market.

The Hawks, who are aggressively pursuing a big man, have close to $20 million of salary-cap room.
    Contacted about the visit Saturday, Curry said his first preference remains to stay with the Bulls but that his interest in Atlanta is genuine.

Bulls general manager John Paxson reiterated Friday that he will match any offers for Curry, who is a restricted free agent. A long-term, multimillion-dollar offer from Atlanta would test Paxson's resolve, especially because the Bulls still are researching insurance options before making an official contract offer to Curry.</div>

Curry Talks to Hawks

5. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

Eddy Curry and Joe Johnson? Atlanta is heading in the right direction, and fast.

6. lessthanjake

we sure are... although i prefer swift over curry, curry is still a very talented guy who still has the best of his career in front of him

7. bulldawg03

bulldawg03 JBB JustBBall Member

i saw this offseason plan on another website. it goes like this

-hawks sign joe johnson.
    -we trade al harington and tony delk for jason williams
    -we sign either kwame,curry,swift,daly,or chandler

our squad would look like this:

pg. jason williams/salim stoudamire
    sg. joe johnson/childress of the bench
    sf. marvin williams
    pf. josh smith
    c. one of those centers or if we get 2 of em them move josh to sf,move marvin to the bench and put one of the other big guys in at pf.

if we get joe johnson and then sign jason williams we could deffinitly attract the bigs to atlanta. swift might come because hes familiar with jason williams.

wat do yall think

8. NuSpace

NuSpace JBB JustBBall Member

That'd be crazy if this team got JWill. His play is extremely erratic and crazy, but the entertainment value of this team would be nuts. With athletic freaks like Josh Smith and Marvin Williams, JWill will be setting up some insane dimes.

9. lessthanjake

yeah that would be sick... but we dont need jwill. if we sign JJ then we'll be set, because as ive been saying he can play the PG. and if we got swift, that would be sick. that's a front court where EVERY guy has a 35"+ vertical. JJ would lead the league in assists,LOL.

personally, id rather trade al for flip murray. the guy doesn't mind coming off the bench, and he can play PG or SG. that would give us two very different combo guards off the bench: 1 shooter (stoudamire) and a slasher (Flip) . with them we'd be able to adapt to play almost any team.

afterthought: dan dickau would be nice too [​IMG]

10. Terminator-X

Terminator-X JBB Banned Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting bulldawg03:</div><div class="quote_post">i saw this offseason plan on another website. it goes like this

-hawks sign joe johnson.
    -we trade al harington and tony delk for jason williams
    -we sign either kwame,curry,swift,daly,or chandler

our squad would look like this:

pg. jason williams/salim stoudamire
    sg. joe johnson/childress of the bench
    sf. marvin williams
    pf. josh smith
    c. one of those centers or if we get 2 of em them move josh to sf,move marvin to the bench and put one of the other big guys in at pf.

if we get joe johnson and then sign jason williams we could deffinitly attract the bigs to atlanta. swift might come because hes familiar with jason williams.

wat do yall think</div>

u want to put a no2 overall draft pick on the bench and start a streaky chucker like salim???

marvin is cool but salim has bust written all over him

11. bulldawg03

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Terminator-X:</div><div class="quote_post">u want to put a no2 overall draft pick on the bench and start a streaky chucker like salim???

marvin is cool but salim has bust written all over him</div>

i never said we should start salim. read the post over again.

12. NJNetz

NJNetz BBW Banned

With all these goin on they could be a good team next season. if they get all this done then next season record will be an improvement. i doubt a playoff spot but an improvement.

13. King James X3

King James X3 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Terminator-X:</div><div class="quote_post">u want to put a no2 overall draft pick on the bench and start a streaky chucker like salim???

marvin is cool but salim has bust written all over him</div>

Easily one of the most unintelligent and unresearched comments I've heard all year long. Salim Stoudemire, a "Streaky Chucker". Are you serious? Are we talking about the same guy here? The guy that dominated the college rankings purely based on his shooting abilities? The same Salim Stoudemire that shot 50.4% from the field last season, 91% from the Free Throw Line, and a truly remarkable 50.4% from 3-Point!!! Man, I don't know which player you watched for the past four season, but I'm from Arizona, I've seen his abilities up close and personal, streaky is the last word to describe this guy.

14. lessthanjake

thank you. what salim has written on him goes something like "steal"

15. bulldawg03

i think the hawks should go after chris duhon. we could give him 4-5 mil a year and i dont think chicago would match. chris duhon is perfect for us. He has great D which is what our team is building around with smith,ivey who are excellent defenders and he runs the floor great and he is just the pure point guard that IMO we need. we will have enough scoring for the future in smith,chillz,marvin and whatever center we get so all he has to do is dish out assists. i believe chris duhon is gonna be a great player in this league(not an allstar but kind of like andre miller but without the scoring unless he can develop his 3 point shot).

pg.chris duhon/salim/ivey
    sg.chillz
    sf.marvin
    pf.josh smith
    c.dalembert,curry,etc.

we are set for the future right there. probabbly the youngest squad ever lol but lottttttttts of potential.

16. Bobcats

Bobcats JBB JustBBall Member

5 Million for Chris Duhon??? Don't hold your breath on that one...

17. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

Duhon could be set to sign back with the Bulls for 6 million over 3 years, god knows why he would settle for so little.

18. lessthanjake

i agree with dawg. duhon would be awesome. he's pure point guard, which is what we need bad. we've had two shootfirst PG's in the recent past (terry and lue) we're overdue for a good passer. although if we get JJ we're set. he can play PG and wants to play PG. hw wont get to do that in PHO, so i think he'll come here. plus he can STROKE the three. [​IMG]

19. bulldawg03

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting lessthanjake:</div><div class="quote_post">i agree with dawg. duhon would be awesome. he's pure point guard, which is what we need bad. we've had two shootfirst PG's in the recent past (terry and lue) we're overdue for a good passer. although if we get JJ we're set. he can play PG and wants to play PG. hw wont get to do that in PHO, so i think he'll come here. plus he can STROKE the three. [​IMG]</div>

yea joe johnson would be great but phoenix said they intend to match so we might not get him. chris duhon was my backup plan. by the way how old is joe johnson?

20. twool913

twool913 JBB JustBBall Member

Joe Johnson just turned 24 last month. I think that pretty much every free agent this year has gotten overpaid which is pretty weak because it just leads to an increase in overpaid players. Larry Hughes, great player, not 12 mill great, or whatever he got. And so far in his career Joe Johnson DOES NOT warrant a MAX contract. He is a good player thus far, and i really like his game, he's so solid. But still, come on now. Just kinda pisses me off that its going down like this now.