OLive: Allen Crabbe staying patient

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Boise Blazer, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Boise Blazer

Boise Blazer Thread Lightly

http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/i...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

HailBlazers and magnifier661 like this.
  2. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    Blake, Kaman, freeland, leonard, t rob, wright and Crabbe should be the only players seeing minutes. Barton, CJ, and Claver should ride the pine

3. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Crabbe should be seeing time, not Barton. One energy guy (TROB) is all we need. And is the only energy guy doing anything of value anyway.

GIVE THE COURT SOME CRABBE!

4. blue32

blue32 Who wants a mustache ride?

Yeah I cringe when Barton is on the floor. The dude is like crazy Troutlaw!

5. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    But without being able to shoot.

6. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

I think we tend to over-estimate the impact of Crabbe playing 10-15mpg. He's not THAT good.

Our biggest factors for losing over this last stretch have been Dame's shooting slump, Nic's continued absence, and Rolo being out... in that order.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  7. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

That's debatable, that dude hits more circus shots than anyone I've seen lol yet open jumpers are a nightmare for him.

8. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

One thing about Barton, dude breaks defenses down, if only he could learn to kick it out once he does.

9. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

If he can get some control, Id rather hang on to him than CJ, Wright, Claver or Crabbe. I think Will has the most upside to his game and is the type of "creator we are trying to find as a 6thman to compliment Kaman, Blake & Meyers. CJ., Wright, Claver and Crabbe should definitely then find us a 10th solid rotator if Will doesn't work out.

riverman likes this.
  10. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I believe it was the last two games that Crabbe played a lot of minutes that he had a serious dropoff in production, then he hurt his knee. He has to earn it back. I'd say he had 5 good solid games and 2 stinkers before he was benched. With all the bigs down and starters dinged up, I think Stotts thought this would be the perfect time to get a look at Will and CJ seeing as Crabbe had 7 games or so to judge from. Will is going to have an NBA game down the road, for now he tends to forget that NBA bigs will block his driving shots in the lane. He needs a quicker release. All these guys are trying to prove they are worth rotation spots and Will to me is the better defender. Crabbe is the better shooter. CJ is a tweener who is not ready yet.

11. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    Dude is killing it. Every time he shoots, you expect it to go in and tonight, he did it in crunch time.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  12. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

He has a beautiful stroke.

13. Trackjack

Trackjack Well-Known Member

Crabbe was very shooter when he was in college. I was very please when we traded for him in the 2nd round. Now we starting to see what he can do and he is keeper remember he playing for contract this year.

14. Blazinaway

Blazinaway Well-Known Member

Crabby quietly having a very good season so far shooting 49% and 44% from 3, avg 9 ppg in 23 minutes. Wes who as we know is recovering from a bad injury is avg 11ppg in 30 minutes and shooting 34% overall and 30% from 3 - awful numbers.

Tunchi likes this.
  15. handiman

handiman Well-Known Member

I'm loving Crabbe's progress this year, but man oh man is his shot feast or famine. (Thus my Tracy Murray on crack comment.) 20 games played, 33.3% or below in 9 of them, 60% or above in 6 of them. If he can bring those "ice cold" games up around 40%, he'll really change the nature of defensive schemes, given how hot he's shown he can get.

His 3PT% is the same story, with 7 games at 25% or below and 12 games at 50% or above, including the last 8 in a row. Only one game this year has he shot between 25% and 50% from three...also known as the league average range! Granted, he doesn't get a ton of attempts, so the difference between 1 of 3 and 2 of 4 can misrepresent the stats.

BlazerCaravan likes this.
  16. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    That last part makes rest of your post meaningless. It was exactly what I was going to say.

17. handiman

handiman Well-Known Member

Meaningless? Find me one other player in the league with those extremes. I dare you. :)

18. LizardKing

LizardKing Member

My homie came up with these and I dig them. Check it out if you like things that make sense.

The Curry Rules, by Sue Denim

1-No Three's

2-No Floaters

3-Hedge Everything

4-Guard Klay, Not Dray

5-Make Him Play D

Steph Curry is doing things in the NBA that have never been done. He is terrifying defenses with his limitless range and lighting-quick shot. His ball handling has improved, his floaters and lay-ups are otherworldly, and his ability to navigate the floor has improved noticeably under the tutelage of all-time great Steve Nash. But here is what makes him the most dangerous: through 20 games, he has 5 quarters of 20 points or more. 5. No other player has more than 1. Those kind of outbursts win games. When Michael Jordan was in his heyday, he was virtually unstoppable. In order to give themselves a chance, the Bad Boy Pistons came up with what they called "The Jordan Rules," which were intended for stopping His Airness from stampeding all the way to the finals. Steph Curry is now worthy of such a set of rules.

Traditional basketball rationale dictates that when you rotate to the open man under Thibidouian defensive principals, the weak-side D rotates one man at a time to cover the ball being swung from strong to weak on the perimeter. This principle allows you to recover from double-teaming a great player or from gaps caused by defensive breakdowns. However, Curry commands at least two people within 30 feet of the cup, and, no matter how you shake it, the best passing team in the league (no disrespect to Pop's crew) is going to beat traditional defensive rotations. Passing is just faster and less exhaustive than running around trying to play catch up D. Some teams have adopted a counter measure of switching off of the man who is two passes over to gain a jump on the switching and confuse the offense, but this method can't be used with consistency early in the shot clock, especially against a team that is as intelligent as Golden State.

But here's the thing—one team figured out a new way to play under Thibs' scheme. Golden State stumbled upon it in the playoffs last year in the Memphis series when they were down 2-1 and on the road. Andrew Bogut was getting abused on his rotations and Memphis' offense was clicking. The Warrior's countered this by leaving an offensively challenged(being nice here) Tony Allen alone in the corner and forcing him to make the play in 4 on 3 scenarios. It was a resounding success and Golden State only lost one more game between the West Semi's and now, 20 games into the 2015-16 season.

This is where the Curry Rules kick in. Other than Mr. Curry himself, the Warriors have just one weapon from deep, and that's Klay Thompson. Draymond Green, Harrison Barnes, and Andre Igoudala are all capable of hitting form deep, but none of them can claim it as a strength. And their back-up guards(Livingston, Barbosa) are not on the team for their long range abilities. So, the best jump shooting team in the league has two true jump shooters. That is their weakness. If you hedge like a madman on all Curry screens, you can eliminate all but the most difficult Curry threes, not to mention his forays into the lane. If you hedge like mad, the Warriors are either going to swing the ball around to the open three, or they're going to dump to the screener(this is the better play) and have him create a 4 on 3 opportunity without Curry. This is what Barnes, Igoudala and Green excel at, and what Cleveland did wrong. Cleveland was so terrified of the three that they gave up the lethal 4 on 3 situations quarterbacked most often by Draymond Green, who knows what he's doing. That's why, in order to guard this horrifying offensive juggernaut, you have to pick what weapon you let them use. You can't let Curry beat you, you can't let Thompson's man switch at the expense of giving up a three, and you can't let them beat you with 4 on 3's. So leave the others open for three. You force an otherwise streamlined offense to live and die solely on the Warrior's role players making catch and shoot threes. You have two guys on Curry, one on Thompson, you plug the middle, and you make other guys beat you with the weakest part of their game, shooting without Curry and Thompson getting them in rhythm.

If you look at the first clip in the video, you will see that helping off Livingston is what has to be done even though he is on the ball. Give that shot to Livingston, and not Thompson

19. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

I agree, lets trade Crabbe for Curry.

Eastoff likes this.
  20. HomerLovesKoolAid

HomerLovesKoolAid I have a well-known member.

Ummmmmggghh..........crab curry.........

VanillaGorilla likes this.