On brink vs. the Warriors, Blazers' rebuild still nothing short of amazing

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by SlyPokerDog, May 6, 2016.

1. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Before the Golden State Warriors inevitably take care of business against the Portland Trail Blazers and advance in their quest to crown themselves perhaps the greatest basketball team of all time, let's take a moment to marvel at the remarkable story of their opponent.

Portland may not match the Warriors for 48 minutes a game over a seven-game series. The Trail Blazers may not have the Warriors dazzle, their raining 3-pointers, their brush with greatness. Portland may not win even a single game this series. But what they have accomplished this season is nevertheless nothing short of remarkable.

After last season, they lost superstar free agent LaMarcus Aldridge to the San Antonio Spurs -- as well as Nicolas Batum, Robin Lopez, Wesley Matthews, Arron Afflalo, Steve Blake, Chris Kaman and Will Barton. Four of five starters, if you're counting, gone.

Last year, Damian Lillard led the team in minutes played per game. Those first seven guys were Nos. 2-8. Will Barton, a sixth-man-of-the-year candidate this season in Denver, turned out to be pretty important, too.

Then this depleted and utterly different team turned that turnover into the only team in NBA history to make the postseason after returning only one player who'd logged 1,000 or more minutes the year before.

How did they do it?

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on...ers-rebuild-still-nothing-short-of-remarkable

2. SlyPokerDog

They had a plan, and a superstar, and they believed in those two things. Then they did the thing that the greatest success stories -- and so many filatures -- must do: They bet big on their future selves.

Exhibit A: CJ McCollum.

In 2014-15, much of the league considered McCollum a bust. This season -- because Portland had the guts to believe they had drafted the right guy, McCollum helped turn the Trail Blazers backcourt into one of the best in the game.

Consider McCollum's numbers this season: 20.8 points, 3.2 rebounds, 4.3 assists and 1.2 steals per game. And a Player Efficiency Rating of 17.7.

Now compare that to what the Blazers had next to Lillard last year, starting with Afflalo: 16.6 points, 2.7 rebounds, 1.1 assists and .4 steal per game. PER: 14.8.

And Matthews: 15.9 points, 3.7 rebounds, 2.3 assists and 1.3 steals per game. PER: 16.1.

Even if we expand our comparisons, McCollum compares favorably with Batum, who last year put up 9.4 points, 5.9 rebonds, 4.8 assists and 1.1 steals per game. His PER was 13.1

In short, McCollum was the second-best perimeter player the Blazers had coming into this season, though they were the only ones who knew it. Whatever Terry Stotts, Neil Olshey and the rest of that organization saw in practice and over McCollum's scattered minutes last season (he was ninth in minutes for that team with 15.9 per game), they bet the farm they were right. And they were.

3. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Does that article say we lost Chris Kaman?

4. SlyPokerDog

If I were an NBA GM, I'd take note how almost every player who leaves Portland does so better -- and richer -- than when they arrived, and I would think long and hard about Leonard as another high-ceiling, soon-to-break-out star.

Across the board, when most teams would have panicked at the top star's exit, Portland cooly changed course. They bet big on a radically different, untested approach than the Portland teams with Aldridge embodied. And it worked.

Lillard is the superstar who helped bring it all together on the floor. In Aldridge's absence, he has pushed himself to a career high in points (25.1) and assists (6.8) per game, player efficiency rating (22.2) and usage rate (31.3 precent -- eighth highest in the league).

This team worked a turnaround no one (including me) thought possible because they found value where others didn't, went young, didn't panic, and believed in what they had -- and then mixed it together with one of the game's great competitors and rising stars.

Portland may not win another game this season. But in the high-stakes chess match that is NBA culture-building and decision making, they're on fire.

Red Rooster and 42N8Bounce like this.
  5. SlyPokerDog

He does look lost out on the court.

Eastoff likes this.
  6. BBert

Selfless Public Servant
    Oh, Touche.

I guess technically, considering how much Kaman played last season, and that this season you'd never even know he was on the team, it is understandable the writer didn't know he's still on the team. Because in effect, he is in fact not present.

Eastoff likes this.
  7. SlyPokerDog

I don't know who this superstar is the article mentions. Maybe Skip Bayless can help figure it out.

Red Rooster, dviss1 and BBert like this.
  8. BBert

Selfless Public Servant
    Nope. Definitely not an all star.

Not even a star. This clown should have consulted with Skip Bayless before he wrote that.

Red Rooster and SlyPokerDog like this.
  9. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I just assume Skip Bayless' middle name is Oliver....initial this Skip...OK...SOB

10. HomerLovesKoolAid

HomerLovesKoolAid I have a well-known member.

Brink? I'll show you brink.

Brink will be after we win games 3,4, and 5.

11. Spud147

Spud147 Mercy Mercy

It really has been an amazing season. I don't see the Blazers advancing but I am excited to see what they can do in the Moda. They've had a few days rest, time to practice, and they're going to do some home cookin'!

12. Spud147

Spud147 Mercy Mercy

I know the play offs aren't over but I'm so excited about next season! I can't wait to see Neil work his magic in the off season and start next season with a group that already has chemistry.

13. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    In before one of the board "realists" point out that this has only been possible because the bottom half of the West has dropped off dramatically from recent years, other teams' injuries contributed to the Blazers getting the 5th seed and getting past the Clippers, blah, blah, blah.

It's been an amazing accomplishment that no one saw coming. Olshey still has some major work to do this summer to build a true contender and the opposition isn't going to get easier. But, dang, this has been a fun ride! I don't want to get off yet, so GO BLAZERS!

14. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

I'd be curious to know if people HONESTLY think which of Portland or Minnesota is closer to being a contender.

Portland has Dame and CJ, the Wolves have Wiggins and Towns.

15. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

Nobody sits down to think about which team is closer, because nobody gives a fuck about anyone other than Curry or LeBron.

Elton likes this.
  16. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

At this moment, Portland. Next 3 years? Minnesota unless we improve.

17. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Yes, next year going forward

18. KeepOnRollin

KeepOnRollin Well-Known Member

More like us unless MIN improves. The team has supposedly been going to make the leap every year but doesn't. Who says next year is any different? Or the year after for that matter?

BonesJones and BlazerCaravan like this.
  19. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

Yeah, the team with the star player that's made the playoffs more than zero times in his career should get the benefit of the doubt.

Spud147 and KeepOnRollin like this.
  20. KeepOnRollin

KeepOnRollin Well-Known Member

On paper MIN should be better than they are. They have the pieces. Yes they are young but that can't be an excuse forever. Put up or shut up time for them.

This might be the case where the sum of the parts are worse then the individual pieces and they have to make some moves.

BlazerCaravan likes this.