On DeAngelo

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by kreidertime, Jun 23, 2017.

1. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

So much for Larry Brooks. That dumbass as usual had no clue.

It seems the Philadelphia/New Jersey area is beginning to produce more and more NHL talent. Anthony DeAngelo is the next big thing from the tri-state area. If you’re looking for a fast-paced offensive-minded defenseman, DeAngelo is the player you want on your team. Even though he missed time this season, he was the highest scoring defenseman in the OHL on an awful Sarnia Sting team.

Up ice, he handles the puck well and sees outlets open up constantly. A great puck-mover, his quickness up the ice allows him to gain entry into the offensive zone with ease and set up offensive chances. He showed flashes of brilliance during the Top Prospects Game. He’s a small defender, but an effective one who has been put on the powerplay all season with the Sarnia Sting. He doesn’t have an overpowering shot by any means, but it is extremely accurate, which is reassuring.

An aspect I like about DeAngelo’s game is his heart and how often he sticks up for his teammates. Even at 5’11”, DeAngelo isn’t one to back down from a fight and has had enough bouts in his short career (oftentimes against bigger opponents).

His game doesn’t come without concern, however. He’s eager to jump up into the play and pinches too frequently. In turn, he gets caught out of position a bit too much for my liking, but then again, teams aren’t really drafting him to be a shutdown defenseman. Hopefully he can tack on a few more pounds to help out his undersized body.

2. RangersFan

RangersFan Well-Known Member

Little small, but he obviously has offensive skill, and should fit AV's system, plus he is a R shot. I would expect him to be in the 3rd pair mix with 4 or 5 other guys. He could be a good 3rd pair fit here. I like the add.

3. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

Would Gorton package 7 and 21 to move up to the top 3?Probably not worth it with this years class.