O'Neal out two to four weeks with ankle sprain

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Rex Grossman 8, Nov 4, 2005.

1. Rex Grossman 8

Rex Grossman 8 NFLC nflcentral.net Member

Re: O'Neal out two to four weeks with ankle sprain

MIAMI (AP) -- Heat center Shaquille O'Neal will miss two to four weeks with a sprained right ankle, adding to the team's early-season injury woes. O'Neal flew with his team to Milwaukee on Friday, shortly after learning results of an MRI exam performed earlier in the day. The team said earlier he was listed as day-to-day; a formal announcement of the updated diagnosis was expected after the team's arrival in Milwaukee. The news, first reported by The Miami Herald on its Web site, probably wasn't surprising to teammates, who seemed resigned to playing without the 12-time All-Star after seeing him hobble and grimace after Thursday's 105-102 loss to Indiana. ``He's the most dominant player in the game,'' Heat forward Udonis Haslem said Thursday night. ``If you don't have him it definitely hurts you. At the same time, the other guys have the opportunity to step up.'' O'Neal was getting in position for an offensive rebound when he stepped on Ron Artest's foot and rolled the ankle midway through the fourth quarter of the Heat's loss to the Pacers. X-rays did not reveal a fracture, but the 7-foot-1, 340-pound O'Neal left the arena on crutches. Heat coach Stan Van Gundy said after the game that he expected O'Neal ``to miss some time.'' O'Neal did not speak with reporters, and the team had no media availability before traveling on Friday. ``You never want one of your best players going down with an injury,'' Van Gundy said. ``It's all also part of the game. We're already dealing with three veteran guys out, now a fourth veteran guy out, so some of these young guys are going to have to step up and play.'' Projected starting small forward James Posey will probably miss a few more games because of an injured thumb, reserve forward Shandon Anderson has been sidelined by back spasms and isn't traveling with the team and backup center Michael Doleac hasn't made his season debut yet because of an injured calf. The Heat will now turn to Alonzo Mourning to start at center, with undrafted rookie Earl Barron the likely choice to be the first center off the bench. O'Neal averaged 15 points and six rebounds in Miami's first two games. If he misses two weeks, that would mean Miami would be without him for six games and have him back for a home game Nov. 18 against Philadelphia. If he misses four weeks, that would keep him sidelined for 13 games and out until a Dec. 2 matchup in Sacramento. He missed nine regular-season games and two playoff games last year because of various injuries; the Heat went 8-3 without their starting center. ``We've got enough firepower to win without him,'' Miami guard Dwyane Wade said. ``If one person goes down, the other guys have to step up.''

2. The Marine

The Marine BBW Member

Yeah, I seen that BUT why can't you post that in BBC where it is all basketball stuff? Because it's weird when people talk about basketball when this place is a football place to talk. You should join BBC

3. ortiz34

ortiz34 BBW Member

That's why this is off-topic. You can talk about anything unrelated to NFL that already doesn't have a board...like NBA.That sucks, already after a game. That's why he didn't play that well against Memphis I guess.

4. The Marine

The Marine BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>That's why this is off-topic. You can talk about anything unrelated to NFL that already doesn't have a board...like NBA.That sucks, already after a game. That's why he didn't play that well against Memphis I guess.</div>Yeah, I understand but can't you just post that over bballcentral.com? I'm not trying to make a big deal out of it but that place is just like here but it's better if everybody was talking about that over there. I mean it doesn't hurt if you join there you know? But if nobody really want to, then cool, alright?

5. Rex Grossman 8

Rex Grossman 8 NFLC nflcentral.net Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xpostxscript @ Nov 4 2005, 04:21 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'> That's why this is off-topic. You can talk about anything unrelated to NFL that already doesn't have a board...like NBA.That sucks, already after a game. That's why he didn't play that well against Memphis I guess.</div>Yeah, I understand but can't you just post that over bballcentral.com? I'm not trying to make a big deal out of it but that place is just like here but it's better if everybody was talking about that over there. I mean it doesn't hurt if you join there you know? But if nobody really want to, then cool, alright? </div> Im not even registered at Basketball Central

6. SickVick7

SickVick7 NFLC Banned

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ortiz34 @ Nov 4 2005, 02:18 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>That's why this is off-topic. You can talk about anything unrelated to NFL that already doesn't have a board...like NBA.That sucks, already after a game. That's why he didn't play that well against Memphis I guess.</div> He rolled his ankle against the Pacers last night. There was nothing wrong with him against Memphis.

7. JHair

JHair NFLC nflcentral.net Member

It's not a big deal if people wanna talk about BBall here in off topic man, just cuz this is NFL central doesn't mean we can't talk about other sports too. Thats what this section of the forum is for. It's not like all we have on here are like BBall threads, thats why it's called off topic, where the topic is NFL/football, and we are off the topic [​IMG]I saw the replay of the injury on SportsCenter, that was pretty nasty looken IMO, hes such a big dude, coming down on that must of felt reallll painful. Hope he gets better. Anyone see that last second 3 pointer from the Flash? looked like it was gonna go in, then it just rolled off the rim. Its a shame to have to lose a game and a key player all in one night.

8. ortiz34

ortiz34 BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SickVick7 @ Nov 4 2005, 05:49 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ortiz34 @ Nov 4 2005, 02:18 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> That's why this is off-topic. You can talk about anything unrelated to NFL that already doesn't have a board...like NBA.That sucks, already after a game. That's why he didn't play that well against Memphis I guess.</div>He rolled his ankle against the Pacers last night. There was nothing wrong with him against Memphis. </div> Oh, my bad. I though it was against Memphis, must've mixed the games up. [​IMG]