Politics Open carry/concealed carry

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by PtldPlatypus, Sep 4, 2015.

?

What is the best firearm carry policy?

1. Allow open carry

61.5%
  2. Require license for open carry

30.8%
  3. Ban open carry

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Allow concealed carry

23.1%
  5. Require license for concealed carry

30.8%
  6. Ban concealed carry

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Same rules apply to handguns and rifles

46.2%
  8. Carry rules for handguns should be more restrictive than those for rifles

7.7%
  9. Carry rules for rifles should be more restrictive than those for handguns

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Let's talk about guns.

A video that @dviss1 posted recently showed the inequities in police officers' treatment of a white man and a black man exercising their open carry rights (in a state in which it is legal). Separately, an article @magnifier661 posted recently talked about California's ban on open carry of firearms, and inconsistencies between counties regarding issuance of concealed carry permits. In it, it mentioned that the US Supreme Court has regularly ruled that the 2nd amendment clearly protects citizens' rights to owning guns in their homes, but they haven't really ruled on how the 2nd applies to carrying guns in public (whether concealed or open).

So it gets me to thinking, what is the most reasonable position regarding public carrying of firearms? Should all carrying be permitted without restriction? Is open carry preferable so that the surrounding public is aware of the presence of gun carriers in their midst? Is concealed carry preferable so as to prevent public discomfort/panic, as well as keeping potential criminals unaware of the possibility of civilian armed response? Would it be better to prohibit civilian public carry of firearms, allowing them only on the gun-owner's property or in-transit to/from authorized locations (hunting grounds, gun ranges, etc)? Should there be different carrying rules for handguns vs rifles (or mags' RPG), or should all guns be considered equal?

You can pick 3 of the 9 options in the poll--the intention is for you to pick 1 of each group of three poll options. I'm really curious to see where the forum comes down on this.

2. donkiez

donkiez Well-Known Member

I would like to see more training and accountability for gun owners. Not really sure the best way to accomplish either of those. Open carry yahoo's just make me feel uncomfortable and are generally the people who I trust the least with guns.

3. EL PRESIDENTE

EL PRESIDENTE Username Retired in Honor of Lanny.

It seems the primary argument against open carry is that is "intimidating" and perhaps somewhat "menacing". People feel uncomfortable around it because they feel for their own safety and get nervous.

If that is the case, certain ways of dressing should be banned (i.e. wearing a hoodie in public) because for many people it is intimidating and they get uncomfortable as well. Its not the problem of someone who is carrying a firearm in public openly that others are uncomfortable. For some, homosexuals and transexuals are unsettling to see in public. Many people are scared and uncomfortable and fearful of them.

Some people open carry because they want to flaunt their rights. That way, open carry is a form of protest/advocacy for their right to bear arms, nothing more. It isn't different than any other kind of organized protest, just because some people are uncomfortable with the message doesn't really change the core of it, it is someone making a protest in a highly visable way. Its actually much more peaceful than many "protests" where people block intersections, shout, riot, attack people, etc.

How much violence has actually stemmed from someone doing an open carry? Its just making people uncomfortable, like most "protests" do.

4. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

I think open carry is stupid. The only reason why most people do it is to create drama. Conversely, I think people get way too freaked out about seeing a gun these days.

I'm fine with concealed carry requiring a permit. If you're going to do it, you should have to go through a course to prove you're not a complete bozo.... with that said, I have been through the course, and I am certified to give the course, and the course doesn't prove squat. It's a basic level class that basically only tells someone what a gun is, what type of gun it is, and how to unload it. That's it. That's all that is required to be able to get a CHL.

5. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    I voted for open carry without a license and conceal carry must be permitted. I am fine with everyone needing some form of training in order to have any gun.

6. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    None of the above.

The Second Amendment guarantees all American Citizens the right to bear arms.

All attempts to limit when, where, who, what, why and especially how, are Unconstitutional, illegal and openly treasonous attacks against American Citizens.

7. PtldPlatypus

How is that "none of the above"? Sounds like poll options 1, 4, & 7 describe your position perfectly.

magnifier661 likes this.
  8. riverman

riverman Writing Team

you forgot these though water pistol.jpg

magnifier661 likes this.
  9. Natebishop3

Because you forgot that Maris isn't a real poster, and he didn't take the time to actually look at your poll.

magnifier661 likes this.
  10. PtldPlatypus

My buddy and I used to do drive'by's with those. Ah, good times...

magnifier661 and riverman like this.
  11. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

I am all about guns. That being said, I'd like there to be tougher gun laws and much more thorough training. I always conceal, but actually like open. What I'd like more is all open, with a massive fine snd loss of license if you dont have your permit. The police should be able to check whomever, whenever they want.

12. Mediocre Man

I am all about guns. That being said, I'd like there to be tougher gun laws and much more thorough training. I always conceal, but actually like open. What I'd like more is all open, with a massive fine snd loss of license if you dont have your permit. The police should be able to check whomever, whenever they want.

13. magnifier661

I think I remember seeing videos where law enforcement cannot request to see your license? Is that true?

14. Mediocre Man

I believe so, in some states. I disagree with that.

magnifier661 likes this.
  15. magnifier661

And I agree that all U.S. Citizens have the right to guns, but I also agree that they should also all be licensed. I also think they should have mandated training every 2-3 years to keep their right to carry. I don't see anything wrong with any of that

Further likes this.
  16. riverman

riverman Writing Team

If it's a comfort gun, they'll probably issue permits through senior disabled services

17. magnifier661

What I disagree with is bullshit laws that limit magazine size, bullet buttons or types of guns people can have.

18. riverman

riverman Writing Team

you can get around those by just going with the flamethrower...who needs bullets

magnifier661 likes this.
  19. Natebishop3

Flame thrower has shitty range. Might as well just learn how to use a sling.

magnifier661 likes this.
  20. magnifier661

I own a flame thrower. It's a little bloated