Opinions of David Stern's Legacy

Discussion in 'NBA General' started by TucsonClip, Apr 6, 2009.

1. TucsonClip

TucsonClip Thursday Night in Tucson = Upset

I am conducting some research for my thesis on the NBA and David Stern's tenure as commissioner. I wanted to collect some opinions from you guys on what you think of the job David Stern has done since taking over as commissioner in 1984.

Just let me know what you think about some of his policies such as the dress code, his resrtucturing of the CBA and the financal aspects of the NBA, his marketing, his quest of globalization (so far), and his interest to expand the league overseas.

I dont care if you hate him or love him I just want to hear your opinion.

2. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

His marketing made the NBA one of the most popular sports in the country, but it slowly degraded the overall quality of the game. By only showing highlights of dunks, he created an entire generation of athletes and dunkers, with a lack of basketball IQ and fundamentals. There's a reason why Europeans are so fundamentally sound compared to Americans these days.

3. Stevenson

Stevenson Old School

Writer
    Maybe the best commissioner ever in sports. He took a product that was mediocre and turned it into a world class sport. Anyone remember the 70s NBA? Full of drugs and Finals that were tape-delayed until midnight! Anyone remember people saying - "The NBA? You don't need to tune in until the final two minutes."

A marketing genius
    The Cap saved the game
    promoting Magic, Bird and MJ
    Taking it global
    TV deals
    Survived a referee betting scandal unscathed even!
    etc.

4. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Yes, but what were the longterm ramifications of his marketing? I maintain he created an entire generation of fundamentally weak, super athletic, dunkers.

5. Денг Гордон

Денг Гордон Member

I don't think that's really true. I think other countries just got better, and had strong national teams that actually had chemistry.

The United States can kick butt, the problem, imo, was that our best players weren't stepping over to play internationally.

6. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

20 Good Years. The rest has been a monopoly.

7. rocketeer

rocketeer Active Member

i think in general everyone basically agrees that stern has been great for the nba. it would be hard to argue that he hasn't helped the league with how well it has done with his as commissioner. but lately his moves have not been good one. the age limit and dress code come to mind as two of his recent bad moves.

8. rocketeer

rocketeer Active Member

i think the whole "europeans are more fundamentally sound" idea is a myth. in general white players are always thought to be more fundamentally sound and black players better athletes, but those are just stereotypes. europeans being great with the fundamentals is no different.

9. Stevenson

Stevenson Old School

Writer
    I think those are two of his best moves.

High school kids do not belong in the NBA. It should actually be 20 yrs old, and will be after the next CBA. The dress code too was proper - these guys get the big bucks and are professionals. They should dress that way.

10. JE

JE Suspended

in between jobs right now
    And why is this? They're adults at 18.

Who really gives a shit how they dress? I wouldn't care, and neither should anyone, if they walked into the arena naked as long as they're ready to play at game time.

11. rocketeer

rocketeer Active Member

the age limit was a dumb rule protecting bad gms and scouts from themselves. there's absolutely no reason for it and there are guys out there ready to play in the nba straight from high school and help teams.

the dress code is dumb as well. what these guys wear walking into the area is meaningless.

12. Stevenson

Stevenson Old School

Writer
    Dress: Its a business, plain and simple.

Age: Most kids who tried to make the jump from high school flamed out. Very few Kobe and KGs.

13. JE

JE Suspended

in between jobs right now
    Yes it is, and while on the job (playing basketball), the players usually wear their team uniforms.

14. rocketeer

rocketeer Active Member

you know what they wear at work? basketball uniforms. edit - je beat me to it.

that's the furthest thing from the truth. most of the players who made the jump from high school to the pros were very successful. they have a higher success rate than players who go to college.

15. Stevenson

Stevenson Old School

Writer
    Their dress was getting to...how do I say this...ghetto, too hip hop. Players are black yes, but the paying fans are mostly white. It had to do with making the NBA's customers feel less alienated from the product. Its a business.