Orlando Interested in Webber, Brown

Discussion in 'Orlando Magic' started by The Legend, Jul 28, 2007.

1. The Legend

The Legend Legend of JBB..

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">
    Tim Povtak of the ORLANDO SENTINEL writes, "Although he has no salary-cap room remaining -- only the veteran's minimum of $1.2 million to offer -- Magic General Manager Otis Smith still has his sights set high as he continues working to fill the last two spots on the roster for next season." </div>

Read More

Both of those players would be huge veteran additions.[​IMG]

2. The Walrus

The Walrus JBB JustBBall Member

They'd both be great fits, but i jsut don't see those two guys signing for the minimum. If there gonna sign for the minimum, I'd expect them to go and play for the Mavericks. Especially Webber since he recently said in Slam its Dallas or Detroit.

3. CLos

CLos JBB=The Originals

Webber would be nasty. He could teach Dwight to pass and show him the mid range game. I wouldn't mind him here.

4. The Walrus

The Walrus JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">CLos Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Webber would be nasty. He could teach Dwight to pass and show him the mid range game. I wouldn't mind him here.</div>

Id be fine with PJ Brown. Maybe even like him more, it's just that Webber is gonna sign with the mavs or pistons. Idk why Otis Smith thinks he can sign him.

5. The One & Only

The One & Only JBB The Orlando Tragic

If we can get Webber, do it. He can bring a lot more to the table than Brown.

6. Ed!

Ed! JBB JustBBall Member

Webber? Could be a huge addition.

PJ Brown? Not so much.

7. GArenas

GArenas Wiz Fo Champz

<div class="quote_poster">The Walrus Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">They'd both be great fits, but i jsut don't see those two guys signing for the minimum. If there gonna sign for the minimum, I'd expect them to go and play for the Mavericks. Especially Webber since he recently said in Slam its Dallas or Detroit.</div>

He's saying now that Orlando is an option.

However, Chris Webber will be hard to sign because Dallas is interested in him and going into the luxury tax doesn't bother Mark Cuban at all. I also don't understand why Webber wouldn't push for Dallas as much as possible, he wants a ring in the late stage of his career and the Mavericks are probabely the franchise most likely to win a championship next season. However, Webber could help Howard out alot when it comes to teaching him to be better offensively.

PJ Brown would be nice to have on the team as well. He's a solid veteran with a dynamit mid-range jumper. The Magic will likely end up adding PJ Brown.

8. The One & Only

The One & Only JBB The Orlando Tragic

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Meanwhile, the Orlando Sentinel reported Friday that Magic general manager Otis Smith has talked with Webber and fellow free agent P.J. Brown, among other players, even though Orlando can only offer the veteran's minimum of $1.2 million because of the salary cap.</div>

Source

I doubt we get him. I can see us getting P.J. Brown, though. I'd actually prefer if our veteran presence was Brown instead of Battie.

9. CLos

CLos JBB=The Originals

I prefer Brown or Webber than Battie. I don't mind getting PJ but I rather have Webber. I don't know because it's hard. PJ Brown is a good rebounder/defender while Webber is another PG on the floor technically and is a good offensive player.

10. MainMan

MainMan JBB JustBBall Member

Both players could help us dramatically. Although we are looking at two different type of players in webber and brown.

Webber - The randy moss of basketball. Plays when he wants to. Although when he does play just like moss contributes in a big way. His offensive game is more than amazing for his size which spreads the floor open. The best part of Webbers game is his passing. The man is jason kidd in his position. We could do some serious damage on the scoreboard. I would love to see him work with dwight on the offensive end as well. Although he is known for being more than horrible on the defensive side. With dwight being there I feel safe as he will fill the hole but Im still worried about webber just letting guys go right by him going to the hoop for an easy two. I feel if he is motivated he does step up sooooo hopefully dwight being young and energtic he can pump webber up.

Brown - The magic have wanted brown since Shaq left. I think brown is underrated on many scales , but I think his great years have past him. Brown will do all the things the other players dont want to, and he is aggresive at both ends of the floor. He isnt the greatest offensive threat but can knock some down. Although he is more of an undersized dwight which is good but not may be our biggest needs.

all in all.. webber is our best bet just because he brings a huge offensive threat and can spread the floor. Being he plays the 4 he can help dwight free up from double teams.. I also think webber could help jj get more shots off as well

11. Ed!

Ed! JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">MainMan Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Both players could help us dramatically. Although we are looking at two different type of players in webber and brown.

Webber - The randy moss of basketball. Plays when he wants to. Although when he does play just like moss contributes in a big way. His offensive game is more than amazing for his size which spreads the floor open. The best part of Webbers game is his passing. The man is jason kidd in his position. We could do some serious damage on the scoreboard. I would love to see him work with dwight on the offensive end as well. Although he is known for being more than horrible on the defensive side. With dwight being there I feel safe as he will fill the hole but Im still worried about webber just letting guys go right by him going to the hoop for an easy two. I feel if he is motivated he does step up sooooo hopefully dwight being young and energtic he can pump webber up.

Brown - The magic have wanted brown since Shaq left. I think brown is underrated on many scales , but I think his great years have past him. Brown will do all the things the other players dont want to, and he is aggresive at both ends of the floor. He isnt the greatest offensive threat but can knock some down. Although he is more of an undersized dwight which is good but not may be our biggest needs.

all in all.. webber is our best bet just because he brings a huge offensive threat and can spread the floor. Being he plays the 4 he can help dwight free up from double teams.. I also think webber could help jj get more shots off as well</div>

The only thing Brown is these days is a decent post defender, 6 fouls, a mediocre jump shooter, and can't finish around the rim. He did do a good job guarding Shaq and other post players occasionally though, he's still pretty strong. But if you had to choose between the two you have to go with Webber.

12. CLos

CLos JBB=The Originals

<div class="quote_poster">MainMan Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Both players could help us dramatically. Although we are looking at two different type of players in webber and brown.

all in all.. webber is our best bet just because he brings a huge offensive threat and can spread the floor. Being he plays the 4 he can help dwight free up from double teams.. I also think webber could help jj get more shots off as well</div>

Good analysis. But Webber isn't that bad of a defender. I mean he's lazy as hell when it comes to defense, but he did do good against Dwight in the playoffs. Brown and Webber both complement Dwight and they both bring stuff to the table. I like Webber more because of his offense.